Dana White's Contender Series - Season 6, Week 4 - August 16th

Took Cartwright. I'm worried about him against good wrestlers after the Miller fight, but he should be too dynamic on the feet for Johnson imo.

Also took Hassanzada, I absolutely loved his last LFA fight against a good wrestler. Incredible levels of volume and fights like an absolute dog. I'll take him at those odds against a guy with a bunch of quick finishes all day. I like someone like that to drag a front runner into deep waters and drown them.

Considering Leite and Valenzuela but waiting to see how the odds move.

Faded Leite by virtue of her training at Astra.

While Cowan herself doesn't train at a very renowed camp to my knowledge, and has a pretty bad loss recently, 8/10 Astra fighters struggle mightily when making the jump from cans in the regional scene to actual competent fighters.

It is CS though, so Leite could be one of the dogs that bark.

Since it hasn't been mentioned here yet, I just realized through another review that Paull is deaf. Not hating on deaf fighters since we've seen some great ones and he seems solid himself, but it's a handicap nonetheless with the corner during the fight. Pretty confident on Ribovics either way though.

Faded Leite by virtue of her training at Astra.

While Cowan herself doesn't train at a very renowed camp to my knowledge, and has a pretty bad loss recently, 8/10 Astra fighters struggle mightily when making the jump from cans in the regional scene to actual competent fighters.

It is CS though, so Leite could be one of the dogs that bark.

Honestly I see Cowan as a mid-level regional fighter. I'd feel a bit more sketchy if this was against a more experienced person on a UFC card but it's not. Leite's last opponent was probably not that much lower level than this, and she looked like Khabib against her for 5 rounds. Looks like she's constantly getting better too.

Honestly I see Cowan as a mid-level regional fighter. I'd feel a bit more sketchy if this was against a more experienced person on a UFC card but it's not. Leite's last opponent was probably not that much lower level than this, and she looked like Khabib against her for 5 rounds. Looks like she's constantly getting better too.

Cowan's not very good, her thing is she's usally stronger. If I had time to tape Leite I'd be looking at how physical she is.

Cowan's not very good, her thing is she's usally stronger. If I had time to tape Leite I'd be looking at how physical she is.

Leite seems like that's her whole thing. She's very strong in the wrestling and knows how to power people down. I think she can either overpower Cowan or at least pressure her against the fence the whole fight.

I like Ahmad too but my book doesn't get odds til Monday.

Watched some more tape on Ahmad and Nazim Sadykhov and switched sides to Nazim -160.
I think he's the more clean striker and I think it'll be a striking match. Dana gives them a speech in the back to stand and bang so I think that'll be the case.

My parlay with the contenders fights. Seeing lines for both jack and Leite changing dramatically gives me hope.

My worries of this parlay... Rockhold and Yan. If this bet loses I'd reckon it's thanks to one of these folks

Think we in for some decision fighting tomorrow. We been too blessed lately

Good luck folks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816_003322.png
    Screenshot_20220816_003322.png
    153 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20220816_003332.png
    Screenshot_20220816_003332.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 19
Took Cartwright. I'm worried about him against good wrestlers after the Miller fight, but he should be too dynamic on the feet for Johnson imo.

Also took Hassanzada, I absolutely loved his last LFA fight against a good wrestler. Incredible levels of volume and fights like an absolute dog. I'll take him at those odds against a guy with a bunch of quick finishes all day. I like someone like that to drag a front runner into deep waters and drown them.

Considering Leite and Valenzuela but waiting to see how the odds move.
Don't think I necessarily agree with the take that Hassanzada can drown Nazim. The latter's cardio is on point and arguably better than Hassanzada who did slow down in his last fight . Also think Hassanzada's propensity to play bottom game will hinder him, because Nazim game is much heavier than his previous opponents. Wilson has some wrestling credentials but he's not got good at MMA. Hassanzada got taken down regularly on the Afghan regional scene of all places..

My parlay with the contenders fights. Seeing lines for both jack and Leite changing dramatically gives me hope.

My worries of this parlay... Rockhold and Yan. If this bet loses I'd reckon it's thanks to one of these folks

Think we in for some decision fighting tomorrow. We been too blessed lately

Good luck folks

Wrong Jared lol. Bet365 has Jared Gooden.

Don't think I necessarily agree with the take that Hassanzada can drown Nazim. The latter's cardio is on point and arguably better than Hassanzada who did slow down in his last fight . Also think Hassanzada's propensity to play bottom game will hinder him, because Nazim game is much heavier than his previous opponents. Wilson has some wrestling credentials but he's not got good at MMA. Hassanzada got taken down regularly on the Afghan regional scene of all places..

Agreed with this. I'm not sure if Nazim is quite as good of a wrestler as Wilson (was captain of Stanford wrestling team IIRC) but Wilson lost by being awful on the feet. That was the first quality top control Hasanzada's faced, and he ended every round on the bottom without being able to get any sub or sweep attempts off. Nazim seems to have solid heavy top control, and I don't think he'll get caught off guard by anything Hasanzada has off his back. Unless Nazim ends up being disparately worse in the standup he should win this with some takedowns and fight IQ.

Weigh-in pics:
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/gall...s-50-ufc-weigh-ins-faceoffs-photo-gallery-mma

My thoughts:
Esteban Ribovics looks bigger/ taller than I thought.
Ivan Valenzuela decent height advantage over Claudio Ribeiro
Jack Cartwright has some bad posture.
Hailey Cowan looks big. Idk if it's the angle.
Nazim Sadykhov and Ahmad Hassanzada are shredded. Nazim thicker and Ahmad taller.

Not that any of this matters.

Last edited:
Weigh-in pics:
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/gall...s-50-ufc-weigh-ins-faceoffs-photo-gallery-mma

My thoughts:
Esteban Ribovics looks bigger/ taller than I thought.
Ivan Valenzuela decent height advantage over Claudio Ribeiro
Jack Cartwright has some bad posture.
Hailey Cowan looks big. Idk if it's the angle.
Nazim Sadykhov and Ahmad Hassanzada are shredded. Nazim thicker and Ahmad taller.

Not that any of this matters.

Side to side in the vid I thought Leite looked a little physically stronger but I don't think it's much of a difference.

Johnson & Cartwright had some words for each other. Johnson actually doesn't look that much bigger than him. And he had to towel at the weigh in, but he looks good while Cartwright looks a little drained.

Cowan/Leite o2.5 (-175) $17.50 to win $10.00
Jack Cartwright (+120) over Jose Johnson $20.00 to win $24.00
Esteban Ribovics (-375) over Thomas Paull $37.50 to win $10.00

Leite $140 -140
Cartwright $120 -120
Leite should be stronger in clinch which should be able to tangle cowin up. Cowins balance isn't the best and falls over from throwing kicks. Wasn't impressed at all. Leite grapples a bunch.
Johnson seems physically weaker than Cartwright. Like Cartwright's pressure and body shots.
Ribeiro $200 -105
Ribovics $150 -275

Last edited:
Back