Dana White's Contender Series 2019 Week 8: Tues. 8/13, 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT PBP Discussion Thread

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
For those of you new to the series, every Tuesday from June 18th until August 27th, with July 2nd off, top prospects and former UFC fighters will compete on a five-fight card with the opportunity to win a UFC contract. Some events, only one winner gets a contract, and others, multiple fighters are awarded that elusive contract.

dwcs 2019 wk8.jpg

Dana White's Contender Series 2019, Week 8
Commentary:
Dan Hellie, Michael Bisping
Broadcast: ESPN+ in the US, UFC Fight Pass Internationally
Start Time: 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on Tuesday, August 13

205: Herdem Alacabek (5-0) vs. William Knight (4-0)
170: Devin Smyth (9-1) vs. Brok Weaver (13-4)
W135: Sarah Alpar (8-4) vs. Shanna Young (6-1)
135: Tony Gravely (18-5) vs. Ray Rodriguez (15-5)
205: Julius Anglickas (6-1) vs. Karl Reed (6-1)

Dana White’s Contender Series Weigh-in Results:
Herdem Alacabek (205) vs. William Knight (204)
Devin Smyth (171) vs. Brok Weaver (170)
Sarah Alpar (135.5) vs. Shanna Young (134.5)
Tony Gravely (136) vs. Ray Rodriguez (135)
Julius Anglickas (206) vs. Karl Reed (205.5)

1767.png

Previous Contract Winners:

2017 Season - Breakdown and Summary Here

Week 1: FW Kurt Holobaugh (R1 KO) and BW Boston Salmon (Unanimous Decision)
Week 2: BW Sean O'Malley (R1 KO)
Week 3: LHW Karl Roberson (R1 KO) and MW Geoffrey Neal (R1 TKO)
Week 4: MW Julian Marquez (R2 KO) and FW Brandon Davis (Unanimous Decision)
Week 5: LHW Mike Rodriguez (R1 KO) and FLW Alex Perez (R1 Tech Sub - Anaconda Choke)
Week 6: MW Charles Byrd (R2 Sub - Rear Naked Choke) and FW Grant Dawson (R2 Sub - Rear Naked Choke)
Week 7: BW Benito Lopez (Split Decision) and FLW Joby Sanchez (R2 TKO)
Week 8: LW Matt Frevola (R2 Sub - Arm-Triangle Choke), WBW Lauren Mueller (Unanimous Decision), HW Allen Crowder (R3 TKO) - as well as MW Bevon Lewis (R2 TKO) signed to Developmental League

2018 Season - Midseason and Finale Reviews

Week 1: LHW Alonzo Menifield (R1 TKO) - as well as HW Greg Hardy (R1 TKO) signed to Developmental League
Week 2: FW Matt Sayles (R1 TKO), MW Anthony Hernandez (R1 KO), LHW Ryan Spann (R1 Sub - Guillotine Choke), and WW Dwight Grant (R2 KO)
Week 3: WFLW Antonina Shevcheko (R2 TKO), LW Te Edwards (R1 KO), and HW Josh Parisian (R1 Spinning Back Fist KO) to TUF Season 28
Week 4: MW Bevon Lewis (R1 TKO) and FLW Jordan Espinosa (R3 TKO)
Week 5: WSW Maycee Barber (R3 TKO), BW Domingo Pilarte (R2 Tech Sub - Rear Naked Choke), and MW Edmen Shahbazyan (R1 TKO)
Week 6: LHW Jim Crute (R1 TKO), FW Sadiq Yussuf (Unanimous Decision), HW Jeff Hughes (R1 TKO) - as well as FW Chase Hooper (Unanimous Decision) signed to Developmental League
Week 7: LW Roosevelt Roberts (R2 Sub - Rear Naked Choke), MW Ian Heinisch (R1 KO), FW Jordan Griffin (R1 Sub - Rear Naked Choke), and HW Juan Adams (R1 TKO)
Week 8: LW Devonte Smith (R1 KO), LHW Kennedy Nzechukwu (R1 TKO) and FW Bobby Moffett (R2 Sub - D'Arce Choke)

2019 Season

Week 1
: MW Punahele Soriano (Unanimous Decision) and HW Yorgan De Castro (R1 TKO)
Week 2: BW Miles Johns (Unanimous Decision) and WW Miguel Baeza (Unanimous Decision)
Week 3: LW Joe Solecki (R1 Tech Sub - Guillotine Choke), LHW Antonio Trocoli (R1 Sub - Neck Crank), BW Hunter Azure (Unanimous Decision), MW Maki Pitolo (R1 TKO), LW Jonathan Pearce (R3 TKO)
Week 4: MW Antonio Arroyo (R2 Sub - Arm-Triangle Choke), BW Ode Osbourne (R1 Sub - Armbar), HW Don'Tale Mayes (R1 TKO) and MW Brendan Allen (R1 Sub - Rear Naked Choke)
Week 5: FW: Sean Woodson (R2 KO), LHW Jamahal Hill (R2 TKO) and FW Billy Quarantillo (R3 TKO)
Week 6: LHW Aleksa Camur (R2 TKO), FW Aalon Cruz (R3 KO), WFLW Tracy Cortez (Unanimous Decision) and HW Rodrigo Nascimento (R1 Sub - Arm-Triangle Choke)
Week 7: LW Omar Morales (R2 TKO), FW Herbert Burns (R1 Sub - Triangle Armbar) and MW Andre Muniz (R1 Sub - Rear Naked Choke)

Contracts issued to fighters will start at $10k to show and $10k to win, for around 3-4 fights. Other winners may be called to the UFC for short notice replacements or brought back for future CS events.

There is NO Snoopcast this season.

fc9RiCD.png

Got my money on Alcabek tonight.

Alacabek is the first guy who I've known and followed since the inception of his career to his UFC-opportunity.

Other than... you know... Brock Lesnar. :oops:

What can we expect?

Aggression
Body-strikes
Clinch-damage
Clinch-wrestling
All culminating in when his opponent gets taken down and made to presents their back and he snaps a submission.

His background is in Grecho-Roman and Submission Wrestling and he's really good at combining those two. Sort of has that AKA cage-wrestling style going.

Aggression
Body-strikes
Clinch-damage
Clinch-wrestling
All culminating in when his opponent gets taken down and made to presents their back and he snaps a submission.

His background is in Grecho-Roman and Submission Wrestling and he's really good at combining those two.
Call it then, which round, minute, and second does he finish the fight?

I actually really like Shanna Young. She's a wrestler by trade but has karate-style standup with a lot of lead kicks.

Tony Gravely is from my area, went to my rival high school and I have several friends that knew him. Really rooting for him to win, definitely won't miss this episode.

Call it then, which round, minute, and second does he finish the fight?

Dude, I've never seen his opponent fight so I have no idea what this will look like.

That said, Alacabek has mostly first-round finishes via wrestling-dominant submission. So Herdem at 4 minutes via RNC?

Dude, I've never seen his opponent fight so I have no idea what this will look like.

That said, Alacabek has mostly first-round finishes via wrestling-dominant submission. So Herdem at 4 minutes via RNC?
Just trying to make the bout more interesting for myself lol. Thanks. Now I'll be looking to see if that happens.

Just trying to make the bout more interesting for myself lol. Thanks. Now I'll be looking to see if that happens.

If you bet on it and win then you know that you got to give me 50%, okay? It's the law, you know that right!? I'll sue if you don't give me 50% when the bout is over!:p

If you bet on it and then win then you know that you got to give me 50%, right? It's the law, you know that right!? I'll sue if you don't give me 50% when the bout is over!:p
Of course.

Aggression
Body-strikes
Clinch-damage
Clinch-wrestling

His background is in Grecho-Roman and Submission Wrestling and he's really good at combining those two. Sort of has that AKA cage-wrestling style going.
Sounds like the future GOAT IMO.

Finishing PFL from Thursday... You know, the one that lasted until midnight when we had to work Friday morning...

Back