Dana White: UFC Plan To Kill SF From The Start "Couldn't Be Further From The Truth"

doherty

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

I told you how pumped I was about it (Strikeforce deal), and everybody thinks, everyone thinks I'm bullsh*ting, you know I read this stuff on the internet,

"Oh he said all that stuff but what he really wanted to do is kill this thing, make it go away so they could..."

It couldn't be further from the truth. Everything I told you in that (Strikeforce-UFC Deal) interview was true, I was pumped and I was prepared to dive into that thing,​

<<<Official version to make anti-monopoly regulators happy>>>

So you wanted to help the organization by cherry picking 2 over it's biggest stars ( overeem & Diaz ) as soon as humanly possible ?

If Strikeforce could have managed itself, it wouldn't have even been up for sale.

what's the big deal.. why wouldn't people just want the talent to come over to UFC? makes for more interesting fights

<<<Official version to make anti-monopoly regulators happy>>>

What about the NFL, NBA, MBL and NASCAR?

Anti-monopoly regulaitons are to protect the consumer from arbirtrary rates increases on things like electricty. There is no place for it in entertainment for it is not an essential, but a luxury. In entertainment, it self regulates.

Hasn't Dana already been confirmed the biggest liar in MMA history? If he hasn't yet, this should do it.

If Strikeforce could have managed itself, it wouldn't have even been up for sale.

Exactly. Any promotion that wants to challenge the UFC for the top spot and gets into financial trouble, will get swallowed. Strikeforce had a contract with Showtime when Zuffa bought it, so they had to honor the contract. Zuffa lied to save face, but everyone knew.

yep, and now it is dead, we can all be happy for the fighters that were stuck in purgatory because of showtime.

No. That's usually not why one business buys another. Profitable businesses are bought out all the time. I haven't seen any credible source about SF being in serious financial trouble. The owners sold it because they were offered an offer they couldn't refuse.

Doesn't bother me none. I don't care if it's the UFC (although I prefer their elbows allowed rules) but for the most part I just want most of the best fighters to be able to fight each other.

No. That's usually not why one business buys another. Profitable businesses are bought out all the time. I haven't seen any credible source about SF being in serious financial trouble. The owners sold it because they were offered an offer they couldn't refuse.

rubbish, the owners were shopping strikeforce all around town. strikeforce over extended itself, payed way to much for fedor/hendo/overeem and without PPV revenue they were paying out more than taking in.

dave meltzer (mma reporter) said that although the HEAVYWEIGHT GP had all the hardcores moist as hell, it infact was the catalyst for the demise of strikeforce.

Of course they were gonna shut it down. That was obvious to anyone. Why even listen to the Yackity yack. They could not come out and say it, but how could they possibly not shut it down. The one thing they could have done with it that they didn't do was to run it as a minor league operation. Use it as a real feeder to the UFC. That would have cut out showtime but it is the only option for what could really be done with one company owning the other.

I'm glad Dana is swallowing organizations that can't sustain themselves; having all the best fighters under one promotional banner is the absolute best thing for the fans.

That said, of course this is going to be Dana's public opinion on the issue. He's not going to be blatantly anti-competitive while everyone is watching, that would be stupid. The only annoying thing about it is you kids acting like you're seriously calling him out on it, like he doesn't already realize and would actually give a shit.

@15:00 whats the sherdog beef w/ dana?

i think there was more than one, but the main beef was josh gross (i think) leaked the finalists for TUF 1 or 2. this pissed dana off which is why he pulled their credentials.

i think around 2-3 years ago sherdog got the credentials back, but something else happened and they were pulled again

Back