Dan 'the Beast' Severn appreciation thread (101w)

He did say he went easy on Royce
I did not know that but I was kinda thinking it. Thnx for the info I never heard that before. I think he could have beaten Royce with more action by Severn but he just kind of layed in his guard smothering him. Which if you arent going to damage Gracie he's going to sub you.

I did not know that but I was kinda thinking it. Thnx for the info I never heard that before. I think he could have beaten Royce with more action by Severn but he just kind of layed in his guard smothering him. Which if you arent going to damage Gracie he's going to sub you.
I heard it from Gracie doc UFC released royce one
Watching the fight I believe him

His words "I just couldn't hammer fist him and pound him to the ground that I could not do"

But he had no problem suplexing people

I heard it from Gracie doc UFC released royce one
Watching the fight I believe him
then he went eazy in many fights... bare knuckles scraps were not for him... was not into headbutts either...

The thing is, with no time limit, wrestlers had limited options/skillset in the NHB/Vale Tudo environment...

Don't mean to sound like a hater, but Dan Severn wasn't beating "very good pro level" guys for the vast, vast majority of his career. He was beating up kids with no experience who had no business being in the ring.

You also have no idea if he was clean or not, since it was the wild wild west of drug testing back then. Chances are (shocker) he was doping like most guys were.

People need to stop idolizing old fighters. This is what dan severn was - a pretty decent wrestler with heavy hands who got a long MMA record fighting shit guys. In any other era he would be a jobber at best.

Dan was like 35 or 36yrs old when he made his MMA debut. His body was nowhere near his prime. What's really impressive isn't what he did in the UFC, but that he kept fighting well into the modern era when most fighters hang up their gloves.

Plus he has a winning record while fighting after 40, that alone is impressive, regardless of the competition.

Last edited:
I remember when the two greatest staches in mma history teamed up.

giphy.gif

Unstoppable force...

Epic gif!!!

I hear the idea thrown around sometimes that Dan was timid in some of his fights because he didn't want to hurt his opponents. I don't know how much truth that holds, but I met Dan Severn, and he seemed like the nicest guy in the world. Like Mr. Rogers nice.

I would say it is pretty much established now that he did not want to badly hurt his opponents, both from what he has said and observing his fights.

To quote Severn on the Royce fight:

"I finally did hit him and I hit him again and again. But, it was only peripheral off to the sides as I strike him.. I couldn’t draw myself to just ball up the fist and do a hammer strike dead center to the face, I couldn’t do that...He’s looking over to his dad, who’s outside the octagon wall. What was going through Royce’s mind was, “I’m hanging in there dad, but if you were to throw that towel in I wouldn’t hold it against you.” I go from Royce’s eyes and I look over at the old man on the outside the cage wall and the old man’s eyes look right at me and he’s got the towel in his hands. He brings the towel up to his hands, crosses his arms, shakes his head no, and I’m thinking to myself, “You old bastard. You would let me kill your kid out here for Gracie Jui-Jitsu wouldn’t you?” Royce, he was my first loss ever. Sure I tapped that night, but did I tap because someone beat me or did I tap because I was unwilling to do what I had to do to another human being? I know what went down"

The Taktarov fight he said he feared for Olegs life at some points and held back because McCarthy wasnt stopping it.

The Tank fight also it is clear he was not striking full power with his weight on the ground.
I really think if he had wanted to finish Royce he could have got the stoppage but he would have felt too guilty if he had hurt him bad. In a way the Gracie franchise in the US owe Dan royalties because if not for him the legend of Royce and BJJ in the earlier days would not have been what it was after UFC 4. It is no conicidence that by the time an equally skilled wrestler who was willing to smash on ths ground came in such as Coleman, the Gracies were long gone from the UFC.

Last edited:
For his time period he was very good. Even in his prime he wouldn't hang with any current UFC heavyweight.

Consider also we never actually saw him in his prime, he began mma aged 36 and stated he was already about 8-10 years past his athletic prime. He was already almost 40 when he fought Coleman for the conversion of his superfight title into the first UFC heavyweight title.
He was considered a cert for olympic gold in '80 and '84 but didnt get to compete due to politics of the nation or of the team selection. So he is up there as good as any wrestler that ever competed in mma.
Then you can add his compassionate approach of not wanting to hurt people in fights.
Prime Severn + intention to really hurt and GnP on the ground + developmemts in modern mma training = as scary a beast as would have ever competed in mma.

I wonder if a prime Severn could beat Francis if they fought today?

Don't mean to sound like a hater, but Dan Severn wasn't beating "very good pro level" guys for the vast, vast majority of his career. He was beating up kids with no experience who had no business being in the ring.

You also have no idea if he was clean or not, since it was the wild wild west of drug testing back then. Chances are (shocker) he was doping like most guys were.

People need to stop idolizing old fighters. This is what dan severn was - a pretty decent wrestler with heavy hands who got a long MMA record fighting shit guys. In any other era he would be a jobber at best.
You don’t sound like a hater. You sound like a douche who hasn’t been watching mma for long. Stfu.

I genuinely get the feeling that he did not use roids and is an ethical person. Still he might have been doping. But he wasn't getting as good of stuff as Coleman.

Not sure the UFC would exist without Severn. His charisma helped hook me and I'm sure others. I didn't know anything about fighting, but I latched on to the charcters: Severn, Royce, Taktarov, Shamrock, Tank. Severn was my favorite early.

That man doesn't even pollute his body with alcohol. You just sound like a hater

I'd venture to say the most iconic MMA fighter of all time. He didn't evolve like others did but to do what he did for as long as he did is impressive. If you want someone to represent your sport, Dan is that guy.

I appreciate the work he put into the Shannon Ritch fight!

I would say it is pretty much established now that he did not want to badly hurt his opponents, both from what he has said and observing his fights.

To quote Severn on the Royce fight:

The Taktarov fight he said he feared for Olegs life at some points and held back because McCarthy wasnt stopping it.

The Tank fight also it is clear he was not striking full power with his weight on the ground.
I really think if he had wanted to finish Royce he could have got the stoppage but he would have felt too guilty if he had hurt him bad. In a way the Gracie franchise in the US owe Dan royalties because if not for him the legend of Royce and BJJ in the earlier days would not have been what it was after UFC 4. It is no conicidence that by the time an equally skilled wrestler who was willing to smash on ths ground came in such as Coleman, the Gracies were long gone from the UFC.

Man, he was dropping 12-6 elbows with full force right in Tank's nape, which is about the most dangerous thing you can inflict on anybody, involving a high risk of letting them in a wheelchair. Thats why they are ilegal actually

He was trained by Stu Hart in the Dungeon along with Ken Shamrock. I remember when he beat up Steve blackman and choked out Shamrock.

tumblr_na0hzom2o61r8nadzo2_400.gif

Then Blackman killed Shane McMahon with a kendo stick

Shane-McMahon-Summerslam-2000-falls.gif
McMahon is dead? He was awesome!
Fuck 2020 Mang

Back