Dan Rafael on Haye... Thank you

Del the Funk66

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dan Rafael Blog - ESPN

Dan Rafael said:
Ducker David Haye is a joke at this point. I mean, how can you possibly take him seriously? He vigorously called out Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko for about the past two years with some of the most childish antics I've ever seen. The brothers have always been willing to fight him and have legitimately offered to fight him at least three times. (You know, it might even be more. I may have lost count.) Each time, Haye ran way, including just a couple of weeks before a fight with Wladimir that had already been scheduled. Even after Wladimir went on his own recent media campaign and returned fire at him, essentially daring and begging Haye to fight him, Haye punked again.

The most recent offer was for a fall fight against Wladimir. It was served to Haye on a silver platter with the deal he had asked for -- a 50-50 revenue split with Klitschko's K2 Promotions holding no future options. Haye tried to backtrack on the deal, saying he should keep the British television money for himself, Klitschko getting the German television money and the rest of the pot being divided evenly. But that's not 50-50. Putting all the money into the pot and then splitting it is 50-50. Apparently, Haye and his manager, Adam Booth, are worse at math than they are at making a deal.

So the brothers continue to clean out the division in dominant fashion. You can probably count on one hand the number of rounds they have lost in their last several fights combined, all of which have come against legitimate opponents, excluding Vitali's recent domination of Albert Sosnowski (who, unlike Haye, at least had the courage to get into the ring and fight his butt off as best as he could).

Wladimir will now move on to face Alexander Povetkin, his worthy mandatory challenger, and Vitali continues to pursue a fight with former titlist Nikolai Valuev. Haye has no fight lined up, although there is talk of a match with fellow Brit Audley Harrison, which will be a big deal in England. Everywhere else in the world, it would be about as interesting as a television test pattern.

Emanuel Steward, who trains Wladimir, described Haye perfectly to me recently when we talked about how he was outright ducking the brothers. Steward used the analogy of a little dog barking like crazy at a big dog. While the big dog might ignore the little dog for awhile, eventually the big dog will have had enough and turn its attention toward the little dog, which will cower or run for cover. Haye is the little doggie. All bark. No bite. Filled with hollow words, he's a laughingstock, at least on this side of the pond.

I think Dan makes a very legitimate point. And it's a shame that people don't call him on the bs. At least the ones from the UK. The biggest shame is that people dismissively downgrade their opponents just because of how dominantly they win the fights.

I wonder if Haye ever really wanted to fight them, but then chickened out, or if he was just being an ass to get attention the whole time. Which one do you think is worse?

Rafael ought to get his lard@$$ on a program; he's 250 pounds of cholesterol and could drop dead of a massive coronary at any time.

Haye won a Title only 8 months ago; why doesn't Rafael mention the tradition of new Champs making an easy defense or two before fighting the most dangerous guy?

Smokin Joe Frazier did it for a year, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, etc: they ALL fought an easy defense or 2 to cash in a bit before laying it on the line against a serious challenge.

With Rafael's accusations and insults of Haye ducking this one man, why has Rafael been stoking maywetaher's nuts all these years when maywetaher's DUCKED 19 top men and cherry-picked for almost an entire decade?

Any boxing fan with an iota of common sense knows Haye will eventually fight a Klitschko; it's inevitable. To think otherwise is to be stupid and wrong. Heh heh.

He should change his name to Couture.

Rafael ought to get his lard@$$ on a program; he's 250 pounds of cholesterol and could drop dead of a massive coronary at any time.

LOL. you are a bit angry. How about he has a good point... :icon_lol:

You sound like a little kid who lost an argument and has nothing but fat jokes left...

Haye won a Title only 8 months ago; why doesn't Rafael mention the tradition of new Champs making an easy defense or two before fighting the most dangerous guy?

Stop playing dumb. He called them out. Not the other way around. I know how much you adore Haye but come on now...

Smokin Joe Frazier did it for a year, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, etc: they ALL fought an easy defense or 2 to cash in a bit before laying it on the line against a serious challenge.

None of them called out other fighters by chasing them in malls like a psuedo fans.... You're still living in your world of denial. If he quietly fought other guys no one would say shit.

With Rafael's accusations and insults of Haye ducking this one man, why has Rafael been stoking maywetaher's nuts all these years when maywetaher's DUCKED 19 top men and cherry-picked for almost an entire decade?

One major difference is that Mayweather wasn't sitting around drawing caricatures of anyone nor was he calling everyone out. This is exactly right:

"Emanuel Steward, who trains Wladimir, described Haye perfectly to me recently when we talked about how he was outright ducking the brothers. Steward used the analogy of a little dog barking like crazy at a big dog. While the big dog might ignore the little dog for awhile, eventually the big dog will have had enough and turn its attention toward the little dog, which will cower or run for cover. Haye is the little doggie. All bark. No bite. Filled with hollow words, he's a laughingstock, at least on this side of the pond."

Any boxing fan with an iota of common sense knows Haye will eventually fight a Klitschko; it's inevitable. To think otherwise is to be stupid and wrong. Heh heh..

Stupid and wrong says the delusional Haye fan... :icon_conf

I'm just concerned for the man's health is all.

Normally Dan Rafael is a sensible person whose thoughts I respect, but he's off the mark in this particular instance.

He's wrong because he's talking about a boxer you like?! Keep in mind you haven't made a single decent point to refute him. Ducking is the perfect description for someone who makes call outs publicly, attempts to fight on 3 separate occasions (may have been more), and in a cowardly fashion hides under a rock when the two guys he's been calling out step up. They put everything on the line and he backed down. This guy will be fighting the Fraudleys of the world for the rest of his life. If I were Wlad or Vitali I wouldn't give him a single concession in their next set of negotiations after (per Enswell) he fights his tool up fights. I would make him submit a public apology for being a tool as part of the contract negotiations.

Any boxing fan with an iota of common sense knows Haye will eventually fight a Klitschko; it's inevitable. To think otherwise is to be stupid and wrong. Heh heh.

None of those guys went on a year long tirade to solicit a fight with the real champion, stalking him at the mall, consistently questioning his manhood in interviews, making t-shirts depicting the champion's severed head, and so forth.....only to cower away multiple times once his pleas have been answered.

"you can't have your cake and eat it too," goes the old saying. Haye can't vigorously, brazenly, classlessly promote his most desired fight, but then sidestep criticism when elluding his foe once the fight is granted. Even if your excuse is that you'll do it later, it defies logic to beg for something then turn your back as soon as you get it- hence, this may truly be one of those rare occasions where the term 'ducking' can be used to describe the goings on.

Haye fans can try to spin it any way that they want. Haye has made a fool of himself the last year or so.

Don't get me wrong - lots of people are willing to act like clowns on tv in order to make some $. But they probably don't expect people to respect them.

Personally, I'll get interested in the guy again when he fights somebody credible. In the meantime, he is just some cruiserweight fighting in the UK

Everyone knows David Haye looks like a bitch for calling the Klitschkos out then backing out when he's gotten the opportunity to fight them.

I totally hope that you turn out to be right.

I don

"Emanuel Steward, who trains Wladimir, described Haye perfectly to me recently when we talked about how he was outright ducking the brothers. Steward used the analogy of a little dog barking like crazy at a big dog. While the big dog might ignore the little dog for awhile, eventually the big dog will have had enough and turn its attention toward the little dog, which will cower or run for cover. Haye is the little doggie. All bark. No bite. Filled with hollow words, he's a laughingstock, at least on this side of the pond."

Love the analogy.
Haye's talk minus action makes him look like a pussy, there's no other way to call it

David Haye's the Main Fuckin' Man; he can do whatever the f*<k he wants!

He does... he's just havin a little bit of fun, I think.

I really don't think he is since he gets angry when people bring Haye and the Klits up in the same sentence. Then throws out Mayweather as an analogy for ducking. I sense some animosity there.

Back