Dad almost got Microsoft tech phone scammed

AznCezi187

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Luckily I was home and I caught my dad having a conversation on the phone with these dickheads. They wouldn't give him any info on where they were located, etc. but kept in persisting to get on his computer and "fix" whatever needed to be "fixed".

Anyone else get these calls?

I get them but I've never fallen for them [I work in IT]. Basically from the few examples I've seen they get you to install remote access tools, either using RDP [built into windows but requires port forwarding for external IPs to access] or 3rd party ones. They then generally steal data such as BANKDETAILS.TXT and stuff or install ransomware.

Luckily I was home and I caught my dad having a conversation on the phone with these dickheads. They wouldn't give him any info on where they were located, etc. but kept in persisting to get on his computer and "fix" whatever needed to be "fixed".

Anyone else get these calls?

I say keep your father away from computers and phones.
What will happen next time if you are not home?

who's the chick in your av?

I can't believe people actually fall for that stuff.

I get those calls, but I always tell them I am too busy helping orphans or rich royals with no heirs get their money out of Nigeria to help them get on my computer.

I got one the other day. Best part is that I have no PC's in my house. Although I do have Windows bootcamped on one of my desktops.

These have been happening here a lot. Not exactly by PC, but by phone. They call you and tell you they're from a radio station or TV show and that you won a car, but that you have to deposit $500 to assure the prize to a certain bank account or that you have to make a money order and once you do it they give you a direction to ship the money order too and they cash it in without people realizing they were scammed.

Jesus, I'm reading about this all the time now. How in the shit is this so big?

Lol at these guys thinking they could fool an Asian on some computer shit.

Same shit making the rounds in Sweden, except you apparently get billed the equivalent of 30 dollars if you pick up the phone when they call, or you try to call the number back. I forget which. I just don't answer if I don't recognize the number anymore.

I get them at work (IBM) from time to time. The guy in the office across from mine goes on rampages when they call.

Back