Cutting Water...

BLOWN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a grappling tournament coming up and the division I want to fight in is 199-209. I'm currently 218. The tournament is approx 3 weeks away. I'm pretty sure I can lose about 5 pounds in fat by then since I keep a pretty strict diet and workout plan, but I'm not 100% sure if I can lose 9lbs. Suppose I'm ~5 lbs away, what's the fastest way to cut that much in water? This will be my first time cutting water weight in my life....I'm damn disciplined so even if its a real hard process I'll push through it. I know some wrestlers cut up to 15lbs or more. Crazyness! But yea, would just working out in a sauna suit in a sauna sweating it out be the only way? Are there any supplements that will help me cut it? I'm pretty lost as to how to do it.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

With Respect,
-Ray

Also, if this is in the wrong forum I apologize....this topic just seemed to fit best in here.

With Respect,
-Ray

If I were you I would try and stay at 218, 9 pounds would be a little steep for your first cut but it is definately do-able. Maybe try and keep it to about 5-7 pounds for your first time. Are the weigh ins a resonable time apart from your competition? If they are I would just sauna it out, then put it right back on and try and be a little bigger than the rest of your competition.

Are the weigh ins day before? Morning of? Right before? This is definately going to effect the kind of advice I would give you. The closer the weigh ins are to the competition, the less you try and lose in the sauna right before weigh in. Additionally, I wouldn't want to lose any water at all if you are weighing in right before.

Also check to see if you can weigh in 2-5 pounds over. i found out my last tourny there was a 5lb grace window.

If I were you I would try and stay at 218, 9 pounds would be a little steep for your first cut but it is definately do-able. Maybe try and keep it to about 5-7 pounds for your first time. Are the weigh ins a resonable time apart from your competition? If they are I would just sauna it out, then put it right back on and try and be a little bigger than the rest of your competition.

Are the weigh ins day before? Morning of? Right before? This is definately going to effect the kind of advice I would give you. The closer the weigh ins are to the competition, the less you try and lose in the sauna right before weigh in. Additionally, I wouldn't want to lose any water at all if you are weighing in right before.

The weigh ins are the night before the tournament I believe. That's how they've done it before for people who want to weigh in early. Then the day of the actual competition they way in the rest of the fighters who haven't weighed in yet. The reason why I want to cut down to 209 is because if I stay at my current weight, I'll be in the heaviest category. 210+ I'd be a 'small' super heavy weight. I coudl end up grappling a guy that 270 or even more for all I know. I'm going to try my best to cut down. I'm sure I can do it! I'll fill you guys in on what happens.

With Respect,
-Ray

Also check to see if you can weigh in 2-5 pounds over. i found out my last tourny there was a 5lb grace window.

Unfortunately theres no grace window at this tournament :icon_cry2

With Respect,
-Ray

Since its your first time, I'd say do your best to get within 5-7lbs of your target weight and just sauna it out before the early weigh in. Given your weight, it should be an easy cut. Do it in 2-3 sessions the day of the weigh in. Keep weighing in throughout, make sure you don't cut to much... Or to little. Don't eat or drink anything that day, just get yourself some cheap plastics and prepare for life to suck. Also pick up a bunch of pedialyte. Right after your weigh in, down as much of the pedilyte as you can (it tastes a lot better cold). Hopefully, a couple liters... You should now be several pounds heavier. Now eat something salty and drink tonnes of water to make sure you keep it on. Chinese buffet is my favorite, but this doesn't work for everyone (My stomach is 80% iron, 20% Steel).

Eat whatever you normally would day of a competition, continue to drink a lot of water. Oats and applesauce works for me.

All in all, I don’t see it being a hard cut, even for someone inexperienced with cutting weight. Let us know how it goes.

Whatever you do… Make weight. There is nothing more embarrassing and disappointing than not making weight…. Unless you have a tiny penis or a tail or something.. I imagine that would be pretty embarrassing and disappointing.

Back