Custom vs Bite & boil mouthguards

adebeesi

White Belt
Reaction score
Need some clarification that I couldn't find through the seach function.

I used to use a shockdoctor...which basically covers the top and bottom teeth and has a slit in middle for breathing. My understanding was that this protects your teeh and allows you to bite down and locks your upper and lower jaw.

Now with custom guards, which I have NO experience with....it seems to me that it just covers the top. How does this provide more protection since it doesn't cover the bottom and doesn't really lock in the lower jaw as well.

In otherwords, how does it still provide the "brain paddding function" when it just seems to me to be a mold that covers your top teeth??

I want get a custom, but want to know the difference b4 I plop down $100+.

Thanks in advance for the input.

AC

I've looked about lately for a custom mouth guard, my boil 'n bite just doesn't cut it anymore. I went with just an upper guard from StarsGuards, just awaiting Jeff's email ;).
Some places do give the option of having a custom double mouth guard [upper and lower] with the slit for breathing like you have now; but most places just offer the upper type.
It all depends on how much you are going to wear it and how much you value your teeth. I have no idea about this 'brain padding', a mouth guard does exactly that, protects your teeth.
Your best bet if you want a custom, read though all the custom mouth guard threads in the review section and do some research on Google/emails until you find a company your happy with then pursue it.

Hope this helps.

thanks marr....i thought the mouthguard help reduces shock and thus the potential risk of concussions...thats why they market it as a "brain pad" of sorts.

Anyone else have more on this? Thanks again people.

Ac

I would suggest you contact Scott at customguards.net, he's told me why it's typically better to go with just an upper instead of a double but I forgot. :icon_chee I think for most people a double is pretty impractical.

Plus his are only about $75, not $100 like you said.

i recall a thread a while ago, mouthguards. awaiting my custom order right now, but basically what the thread stated was that uppers are primarily used due to the fact that the lower jaw offers a very wide range of motion from the skull as opposed to the upper jaw, which is fused into the skull.

i guess what it means is that you have a better chance of busting your upper teeth from your head than the lower teeth.

FIGHTDENTIST.COM - Optimum Protection Expected by Athletes

some interesting facts as well. but yeah, go with a custom no matter what. check the reviews sections at the top of these threads for more info.

Custom guards are more substantial, and while they don't cover the lower front teeth, you do in fact have an impression of the lowers in them, to "lock" everything in place. It really is hard to explain just how big of a difference it makes, but I tried my boil and bite after my custom to see if it would do for bag work and generally getting used to the feel of having a guard in my mouth. It just didn't feel right.

If you do get a simple boil and bite, I'd recommend instead of boiling them, to use a torch on them. Obviously don't set the thing on fire or heat it to the point where you put it in your mouth and burn yourself, but a torch (I found a kitchen torch worked well enough) gave me far better results for the lower impression on my custom than boiling it did, and I'm sure it'd do a better job on a boil and bite as well.

*I'm not responsible for anyone melting their guards into a puddle for attempting this. lol

you need a custom gummie,boil n bite
just dont protect you in full contact,its one of the things you should never cut cost on.it will cost more to have you mouth re-built..lol

When i started training i used a shock doctor boil and bite. I did not like it at all when my mouth was closed it was ok but if my mouth was not fully shut it was not secure at all.

I went for a custom guard and would never use a boil and bite again these things are amazing you can breathe better, it stays in till you actually remove it and you can talk and be understood a lot better which is great for talking between sparing sessions.

I use a bite and boil and hardly notice it.

Need some clarification that I couldn't find through the seach function.

I used to use a shockdoctor...which basically covers the top and bottom teeth and has a slit in middle for breathing. My understanding was that this protects your teeh and allows you to bite down and locks your upper and lower jaw.

Now with custom guards, which I have NO experience with....it seems to me that it just covers the top. How does this provide more protection since it doesn't cover the bottom and doesn't really lock in the lower jaw as well.

In otherwords, how does it still provide the "brain paddding function" when it just seems to me to be a mold that covers your top teeth??

I want get a custom, but want to know the difference b4 I plop down $100+.

Thanks in advance for the input.

AC
I sent a reply to you so make sure you check your PM, if everyone would like clarification on this I can post it on the main.

Back