Curriculum Differences - BJJ & Wrestling

Grassshoppa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What is the difference between what you would learn, practice, and drill during your HS and collegiate wrestling years vs. what you would learn, practice, and drill going from BJJ white belt to an upper belt?

I only know BJJ where you generally learn a variation of the following in a class: top position hold down, bottom position escape, submission, submission escape, drill, freeroll, etc.

But what do you learn/do in a typical HS wrestling class then later college? Are you just taught takedowns then everything else you learn through scrambling and wrestling (freeroll)?

I'm curious how what you learn and how practices are different for BJJ and wrestling.

Typically, my practices were on a week-by-week series. We'd learn a move on Monday, drill it for about an hour, then wrestle live for another hour. Half-hour warmup time (stretching, jogging, pummel drills, etc) before and half-hour cooldown time for a 3 hour practice.

On tuesday, we would review the monday move then learn how to counter it. lather rinse repeat until friday which was all live wrestling.

No, because wrestling is not all takedowns. You learn escapes and reversals from bottom, and turning/pinning combinations from top positions.

BJJ is an entirely different thing. You learn different positions, based around the guard. You learn escapes that lead you back to guard, sweeps that take you from a guard to top position, and things like guard passing and taking the back. And obviously in bjj you learn submissions. You'll learn some takedowns but they will incorporate judo, so they won't all be the same takedowns you do in wrestling.

Aside from a few takedowns, you learn almost completely different things.

Back