Current State

thecas

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have so far read that currently bjj is on a very low point in MMA. Can someone explain to me the reasons? How did the strikers manage to win BJJs, when they did not for quite some time in the past [I guess it will take mere 3 months to learn how to avoid the various standard subs. So it must be that they found some other strategy which they didn't in the past?]

Wrestling.

The ability to deny your opponent from even going to the ground, and breaking his clinch effectively & backing out, forcing him to atleast risk getting KO

it appears that strikers are on the uprise, but they all train bjj and wrestling, so there you have it
be looking for:
werdum
pe de pano
ronaldo jacare
daniel moraes
they are bjj and all are getting into mma

guardpasser said:
it appears that strikers are on the uprise, but they all train bjj and wrestling, so there you have it
be looking for:
werdum
pe de pano
ronaldo jacare
daniel moraes
they are bjj and all are getting into mma

Hey guardpasser, You seem to be more in the know about the tournament circuit that I am, how would you rate these guys takedowns? On a scale from 1-10, 1 being absolutely horrid and 10 being Matt Lindland ;)

IMO, strong takedown ability is absolutely essential for a sub fighter today. The days of pulling guard are over.

Wrestling is pretty much the reason why. In Wrestling you are always trying to stand back up or reverse on the ground. Learning at least some standard submissons and some wrestling escapes are vital to MMA now.

I think the respect to BJJ guys and knowledge that, yeh, my opponent is on is back, yet can stikll be dangerous. The guard is respected and people are learning and have learned how to pass the dangerous guard of a BJJ practioner.

I love BJJ and have trained with whoever I can, but I think the current state is what it is because fighters are exposed to it. In early UFCs, no one knew what it was. Do you remember when you first started training how easy it was to get caught in simple moves. Now it seems that guys are good enough to handle the basics, which in MMA is all you're going to see. The finesse days are over.

bjj is not mma
know everybody cross trains so bjj alone isnt enough

on pride semi finals there were 2 bjj black belts, 1 bjj brown belt and a bjj purple belt. seems to me that bjj is doing pretty well.

I think everyone is just becoming a more rounded fighter so you wont have guys like Royce Gracie..who will just go in there with BJJ and kick ass anymore..gott know BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thia and maybe even a little Judo now days to survive

They all learned how to counter/block moves of BJJ. It's not that it's on a low. It's just now that everyone is doing it, so BJJ dudes aren't totally dominating anymore like they use to.

demolidor77 said:
bjj is not mma
know everybody cross trains so bjj alone isnt enough

on pride semi finals there were 2 bjj black belts, 1 bjj brown belt and a bjj purple belt. seems to me that bjj is doing pretty well.

It begs the question then wat strategy these pple then used?

Seems 2 me though, that pple in MMA use striking as default, then to others only when the chance presents itself, unlike last time when royce aim 4 takedown frm the word 'go'

Back