Movies Culminating scene in "The Hurt Locker" - boss?? *spoiler*

I had to rewatch this.

It's directed by a "Katherine Bigalow" - I gotta say some of that directing is absolutely beautiful; not to be a poof but, you'd know it has a womans touch.

She also directed a few other wartime based flicks and "Point Break".

Second theme that jumps out is, emotional stability and volatility leading to errors and indulgent mistakes.

In short, the protagonist become emotionally involved in a situation, poor decision making leads to injury of one of his men - I guess this is the demonstration that he's certainly no Mr Perfect - and a fuck up in his own right.

Hollywood based flicks often seem promoters for wartime like, they're actually trying to recruit US male youth demographic by glamorizing the image of war.

It also feels like there's a little of this going on - in addition to portraying the protagonist as boss during the final shot, it also tries to stir this image of adrenaline and attraction to armed combat.

Now some of ya'll did mention that some posts back, war-adrenaline based syndrome, in fact that was a theme apparent to ya'll that kind of crept by me initially.

I can't relate to that of course cause the closest I've ever gotten to army training was the boy scouts.

But again in my mind one of the overarching themes is mens relation to women, the resultant definition on character.....

In fact there's one scene just previous to the last couple shots,

"Do you know..... why I am the way I am.....?"

The culmination of that dialogue.

Point that jumps out at me is, the protagonists strengths (career dedication, proficiency) and weakness (emotional volatility) lie in his relation to women, his woman etc.

Back