Critique some shadowing for me

Youre arm punching. Throwing a punch should look like you're drawing a bow and arrow. Think about how you throw a ball- you pivot on your foot, turn your hips and engage your shoulders, right? Throwing a punch is the same idea

It's hard to tell because your hips are never in view and neither are your feet. Anyway, it looks like you're leaning into punches versus transferring weight properly, or otherwise you're arm punching. Transfer some weight, bend your knees and rotate your hips into your shots. Get your whole body behind it.

As for the kicks, it looks like you need to work a lot on the strength of your legs. You can't support them in the positions needed to kick so you're just lifting your legs into the air versus kicking through it. Slow it down and work on both flexibility and strength of the muscles involved in the kicks. Right now you're kicking with bad form and it looks to be because you don't have the physical ability to kick at that height with good form.

It's hard to tell because your hips are never in view and neither are your feet. Anyway, it looks like you're leaning into punches versus transferring weight properly, or otherwise you're arm punching. Transfer some weight, bend your knees and rotate your hips into your shots. Get your whole body behind it.

As for the kicks, it looks like you need to work a lot on the strength of your legs. You can't support them in the positions needed to kick so you're just lifting your legs into the air versus kicking through it. Slow it down and work on both flexibility and strength of the muscles involved in the kicks. Right now you're kicking with bad form and it looks to be because you don't have the physical ability to kick at that height with good form.
I agree with what you said about the punches but I kind of disagree with what you're saying about the kicks I've always gotten complimented on my kicks although I don't normally kick that high in a fight or spar (but I thought I'd through it out there and try look good for the camera).

Thanks for the reply though it's given me something to work off of.

I agree with what you said about the punches but I kind of disagree with what you're saying about the kicks I've always gotten complimented on my kicks although I don't normally kick that high in a fight or spar (but I thought I'd through it out there and try look good for the camera).

Thanks for the reply though it's given me something to work off of.

I'm not trying to be an asshole about it, but everything about your kicks screams that you don't have the level of strength and flexibility to perform those techniques properly and with control in the air. It might be a different story on bags, pads and people, but the issues are apparent in the video. Look at how quickly you retract your extended legs when the kicks go high, how little you follow through the motion of the kicks, how your legs internally rotate during round kicks, how you lean so far and turn your upper body to look away from side kicks, the lack of hip extension on the front kicks, it's all there. I know because I have the same problems and it's all your body adjusting to compensate for weaknesses and/or tightness. You'll benefit a lot from working on those muscles and in the meantime you're more likely to injure yourself and learn bad technique throwing those kicks in shadowboxing, at that height at least.

I'm not trying to be an asshole about it,
I didn't take it as if you were, so sorry if I was a bit defensive there.

but everything about your kicks screams that you don't have the level of strength and flexibility to perform those techniques properly and with control in the air. It might be a different story on bags, pads and people, but the issues are apparent in the video.
Fair enough I think it's just to with the fact I'm not hitting something as I usually change how I kick based on the reaction I' getting from the target.

Look at how quickly you retract your extended legs when the kicks go high, how little you follow through the motion of the kicks, how your legs internally rotate during round kicks
Could you elaborate on these please.

We need full body view, proper lighting, and you can ditch the gloves TBH. It looks like you need explanation of some 101 concepts, but we can't really tell.

Could you elaborate on these please.

Sure.

The first two are related. If you watch your kicks (not front ones) you always end up pulling them back early at about the point of contact when you should be reaching maximum speed there and still kicking through. Watching it again, there are some times where it looks like you might be following through properly but it's really hard to tell in the video. I can't tell how consistently this is a problem but it definitely does happen a few times.

About the internal rotation, look at how your knees point downward whenever you throw a round or side kick, even if they're at body height. There are types of downward roundhouse kicks, but they only get thrown at the legs or head really. And there is a side kick with your knee pointed down, but that's typically a specific type of spinning kick. But almost anytime you fully pivot on a kick you end up pointing the knee down (which is an easy way to see internal rotation) and that's a result of flexibility issues.

You also do a lot of leaning, which is another way to compensate for tightness in the hips.

Back