Critique My Shadow Boxing

KylePulley

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Heres my story. Training for 2 years, only during university semesters, only when I have time to go.

I dislocated my kneecap two months ago. (morphine is a hell of a drug lmao) and im just starting to get back into it. (you can tell by the bit of a gut ive grown.)

Watch the video it explains it all.

My stats:

6'1 237 lbs

Edit
This link should be working now.

Last edited:
Embed the video, I can't see it.

Edit: Is this you?

Last edited:
Hey, sorry I dont know what you mean by embed. Its on youtube and I can see it and Ive posted videos on here before and there has been no problems? Not sure man.

Edit: Hell no thats not me lmao, is that what the link brings you too?

Ok, well for some reason I click on the link and it just takes me to youtube.

To embed a youtube vid, take the bold part of the URL
and put it in between [yt.] [/yt.]

without the periods

Or better yet, just post the url and i'll do it for you.

when you say url you mean this right

ht tp://w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=qmQXVyjs-X8

no, im not the most computer savy, I know lol

who was that guy fighting in the video you posted? stefan struve? lol

Ok, well for some reason I click on the link and it just takes me to youtube.

To embed a youtube vid, take the bold part of the URL

and put it in between [yt.] [/yt.]

without the periods

Or better yet, just post the url and i'll do it for you.

Could you please just search CIMG007 on youtube, then sortby upload date. Im the first one. KyleMPulley is the account. Not sure why my link wont work. You do your embedding stuff lol thanks

I got the link to work the first time. You are in the Venum rashguard, right? At the risk of getting into a long drawn out critique, one thing is absolutely sure. If you don't get your hands up, and return them to a chambered position after you punch, you are going to get knocked out. Stop carrying your right hand so low or you will get round kicked to the right side of the head. Good luck with your training.

:icon_chee

I got the link to work the first time. You are in the Venum rashguard, right? At the risk of getting into a long drawn out critique, one thing is absolutely sure. If you don't get your hands up, and return them to a chambered position after you punch, you are going to get knocked out. Stop carrying your right hand so low or you will get round kicked to the right side of the head. Good luck with your training.

:icon_chee

Thanks man, Ive been told that before. I try to keep my right hand up more but I try to stay relaxed. And the more relaxed i get the more that lead hand goes down...but non the less I'll work on that. What else guys? I like having a few problems in mind so I set a goal to eliminate those problems. So go ahead and critque. Just be respectful when doing so. No one likes a douche. lol

Thanks man, Ive been told that before. I try to keep my right hand up more but I try to stay relaxed. And the more relaxed i get the more that lead hand goes down...but non the less I'll work on that. What else guys? I like having a few problems in mind so I set a goal to eliminate those problems. So go ahead and critque. Just be respectful when doing so. No one likes a douche. lol

Honestly, I dont have any problem with where you hold your hands.... you keep your chin down and being a bigger, wider guy, squaring up and throwing from the shoulders can be advantageous and many great power punchers do exactly that. Now, the issue for me is not where the punches are coming from (in terms of hand position), it is where you bringing them back to on the retraction. You throw the shot from shoulder level or below, but you also bring the glove back to the same low position instead of bringing it back up high to cover, then relaxing and setting it a little lower. In short, YOU CAN THROW SHOTS FROM LOW, JUST MAKE SURE TO BRING THEM BACK HIGH. Other than that...... Settle your feet a little, slide more and hop less, tighten up that lead hook ( your almost turning your back to the opponent), Work on throwing multiple shots from the same hand vs. left, right, left, right...... keeps you from being predictable......... But all in all, you look pretty damn good and got a good base to build from (great looking high kick for a bigger guy).

P.S: Glad you cleared up that whole video thing at the bottom, I originally dismissed your post cause I though you were the guy in 80s shorts rave dancing to lady gaga and attempting to disguise it as boxing....... l was just waiting for that guy to bring out some glow sticks.........

I was wondering if you guys could help me with the question about stance. Im kinda ampidexiterous. My right is more cordinated (and stronger) but my left leg is my kicking leg. However I feel more comfertable in my southpaw stance with grappling and such. What do you guys think?

I was wondering if you guys could help me with the question about stance. Im kinda ampidexiterous. My right is more cordinated (and stronger) but my left leg is my kicking leg. However I feel more comfertable in my southpaw stance with grappling and such. What do you guys think?

your a righty, left leg is more comfortable to kick with because the right side of your body controls 90% of the motion, it is the balance leg, pivot leg and power side that throws the left kick forward. Guys who have good technique and are naturally right handed very often throw more powerful kicks with their left leg (MT or swinging round kick). You probably feel more comfortable SP grappling because you work off your lead leg much more when your wrestling, why wrestlers who first start boxing often want to keep their dominant leg forward, it controls most of the movements a wrestler makes and they are used to being much heavier on their lead leg than a boxer is......

Your trainer knows your strengths and weaknesses better than you; discuss it with them (when you get back again).

Concerning your vid: Knees and elbows would be good.

I surmise you dislocated your right knee? If so, do not settle for a "kicking leg" Rehab the bad one. For every kick you throw with the good one, throw 3 with the bad.

Okay, so a few things:

First off, you look pretty good, so kudos on the hard work.

But like others have said- keep your right hand up! I know you want to stay relaxed, but it's not impossible to be relaxed and have your hands at jaw level. And as someone else said- if you hand your hands low, fine; but unless you want to get clocked with a counter, you need to bring them straight up.

Tip for getting your hands up w/ relaxed shoulders- slouch over, shake out your shoulders & neck, and slowly look up w/ your chin tucked & neck relaxed (make a conscious effort to relax your neck), then slowly bring your hands up with your elbows in, making a conscious effort to keep them relaxed. A good way to keep them from getting tense is to move them around a bit.

Apart from that, the only thing I could recommend is incorporating more feints into your combos. If you don't practice feinting convincingly, then you won't be able to do it in sparring or a fight.

Last edited:
your a righty, left leg is more comfortable to kick with because the right side of your body controls 90% of the motion, it is the balance leg, pivot leg and power side that throws the left kick forward. Guys who have good technique and are naturally right handed very often throw more powerful kicks with their left leg (MT or swinging round kick). You probably feel more comfortable SP grappling because you work off your lead leg much more when your wrestling, why wrestlers who first start boxing often want to keep their dominant leg forward, it controls most of the movements a wrestler makes and they are used to being much heavier on their lead leg than a boxer is......

So i Should fight righty, and get used to my right leg kicking? is what your saying?

The hooks could use more hip rotation, and they should be more compact
as others have said, keep your hands up

So i Should fight righty, and get used to my right leg kicking? is what your saying?

yep, from what you explain i would say so. Either way, you need to work from one side consistently and become proficient at it before trying to work from the other.

Back