Critique my match

Broski

White Belt
Reaction score
I competed for the first time yesterday at the Freestyle Grappling Open, and I missed my weight class by 3 pounds. So I was 158lbs fighting in the 170 division. This is the only video I have so far, and before the recording started, I double-legged him.

I went 2-2 in no-gi, and almost got 3rd place.

• First match decision W
  • Second match armbar L
  • Third match arm-triangle W
  • Fourth match decision L
I went 1-2 in gi.

• First match decision L
  • Second match armbar W
  • Third match americana L
3-4 overall.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
I competed for the first time yesterday at the Freestyle Grappling Open, and I missed my weight class by 3 pounds. So I was 158lbs fighting in the 170 division. This is the only video I have so far, and before the recording started, I double-legged him.

I went 2-2 in no-gi, and almost got 3rd place.

• First match decision W
  • Second match armbar L
  • Third match arm-triangle W
  • Fourth match decision L
I went 1-2 in gi.

• First match decision L
  • Second match armbar W
  • Third match americana L
3-4 overall.

Let me know what you guys think.

By the looks of the record, not bad for your first time, I think I got 3rd place out of two people my first tournament. But it does look like you need to make weight if you want to do better. White belts and beginners always seem to cut a lot of weight in my mind, because they really want to win for the first time, or few times.

So you were probably going against some people who were 175+ during your matches. But still, good job.

By the looks of the record, not bad for your first time, I think I got 3rd place out of two people my first tournament. But it does look like you need to make weight if you want to do better. White belts and beginners always seem to cut a lot of weight in my mind, because they really want to win for the first time, or few times.

So you were probably going against some people who were 175+ during your matches. But still, good job.

Thanks, a lot of the guys felt like they were heavy as hell, so I definitely gave up around 20lbs by not making weight.

looks good. one thing, you should not be under the impression that the arm triangle from guard is a high percentage move. in fact, at higher levels its a much, much lower probability move. next time, when you get is arm across your body like that just take his back. it would have been incredibly easy you were in the perfect position for it. as it was, he just feebly tapped to barely being squeezed in the arm triangle. congrats, good job and well done, but in the future, by and large, in that position just take his back. my two cents.

looks good. one thing, you should not be under the impression that the arm triangle from guard is a high percentage move. in fact, at higher levels its a much, much lower probability move. next time, when you get is arm across your body like that just take his back. it would have been incredibly easy you were in the perfect position for it. as it was, he just feebly tapped to barely being squeezed in the arm triangle. congrats, good job and well done, but in the future, by and large, in that position just take his back. my two cents.

Yeah I didn't think to do that on my own, one of my coaches was yelling from the sideline to do it, and I didn't think it was going to work. I wouldn't have thought to take the back though, so thanks.

Not loading for me. Youtube it?

I had to get it from FB. I changed the link to FB now and I'm having the video emailed to me and I'll put it on Youtube when I get it.

I couldn't get the vid to load either.

Also, I think you left someone out of your sig between Carlson Sr. and Koma...

For those who the link doesn't work for, here's a link to the video on FB, but I don't know if you'll be able to see it if you aren't friends with the guy whose account it's on.

Welcome to Facebook

Okay, got the video to work on FB.

Your opponent lets you pass from side control to mount pretty easily.

Looks like he's trying to turn to his stomach and give up his back. I may have baited him into doing that and taken his back earlier. Nice job in the scramble though. You end up in half and have a hard time passing to side. You end up in front of him, and it looks like he may have grabbed for a single. Should have stayed in side. Can't sink the anaconda and he tries a sit. Another nice scramble, move to back. Too high! Get rolled but nice guard. Didn't freak when he attempted the Americana and went right into an arm triangle from guard.

I'd say for only a month and a half of training, you did very well. There are obvious points to improve on, but keep with it!

Trade your Gi pants for some shorts and keep practicing.

I ordered some shorts and they didn't arrive in time for the tournament so I had to wear the pants.

Okay, got the video to work on FB.

Your opponent lets you pass from side control to mount pretty easily.

Looks like he's trying to turn to his stomach and give up his back. I may have baited him into doing that and taken his back earlier. Nice job in the scramble though. You end up in half and have a hard time passing to side. You end up in front of him, and it looks like he may have grabbed for a single. Should have stayed in side. Can't sink the anaconda and he tries a sit. Another nice scramble, move to back. Too high! Get rolled but nice guard. Didn't freak when he attempted the Americana and went right into an arm triangle from guard.

I'd say for only a month and a half of training, you did very well. There are obvious points to improve on, but keep with it!

Thanks for the help, man. I made a lot of mistakes in that tournament that I immediately noticed, but overall I felt pretty good about competing as well as I did against heavier guys.

uh WTF? he tried to kimure you from being in your guard? seriously?

Americana, but yeah, I have no idea why he tried that... crazily enough that guy didn't win a match the entire competition. A couple more videos are up, I think.

Here's my loss to armbar against the guy who got first place. Guy was a tank, and I made some stupid decisions.
Welcome to Facebook

Here's my loss to decision. I was doing alright but got swept and unfortunately am not good at escaping mount, and this was two matches after the armbar loss, so I was even more tired this time around.
Welcome to Facebook

Last edited:
Back