Critique my first MT fight

Keep your left hand up and tuck in your chin a bit when throwing that right leg kick in case your opponent throws a counter straight right. I guess your cornerman was the one that said "Hands up!" early on.

Good clinchwork. I could tell you were holding back on the knees, or they probably could have put your opponent down.

Wow it says 1 view. Is that me? Lol

I'll click "Like" for ya

How old are you? o_O anyways, good mix up but bad boxing, you need more solid boxing training. imo.

Relax and keep your hands up. Your pace was faster than it should be which could make you gas out or walk into something with a more experienced fighter.

Overall, great first fight. Glad to see both of you throwing so many kicks, teeps, knees and clinch. Most beginner level fights I see where I live quickly turn into two guys standing in front of each other throwing haymaker punches and nothing else

Nice fight.

You looked very comfortable switching between orthodox and southpaw stances -- that's impressive.

If I were your coach I'd tell you to tighten up your guard (arms) to protect your head better and improve your punching mechanics; and also not to charge straight in with low kicks, or else you'll eventually run into something nasty.

Keep your left hand up and tuck in your chin a bit when throwing that right leg kick in case your opponent throws a counter straight right. I guess your cornerman was the one that said "Hands up!" early on.

Good clinchwork. I could tell you were holding back on the knees, or they probably could have put your opponent down.

thanks, my coach warned me about the cross counter too. Watching the fight I see a couple of times where I missed opportunities to land solid knees.

JWP also posts here!
It would be awesome if he posted in this thread :icon_chee

How old are you? o_O anyways, good mix up but bad boxing, you need more solid boxing training. imo.
I'm 20, and I agree bad boxing, it needs a lot of work.

Relax and keep your hands up. Your pace was faster than it should be which could make you gas out or walk into something with a more experienced fighter.

Overall, great first fight. Glad to see both of you throwing so many kicks, teeps, knees and clinch. Most beginner level fights I see where I live quickly turn into two guys standing in front of each other throwing haymaker punches and nothing else
Thank you, I agree about the pace. The rounds were very short so I was trying to stay very busy, in sparring I try pace my self and counter fight more.

Nice fight.

You looked very comfortable switching between orthodox and southpaw stances -- that's impressive.

If I were your coach I'd tell you to tighten up your guard (arms) to protect your head better and improve your punching mechanics; and also not to charge straight in with low kicks, or else you'll eventually run into something nasty.

thanks, I have been trying to tighten up my guard a bit, and working on coming in and out angles instead of straight in and out and eating shots.

Well...you guys started off pretty hard. That's not a common trait of muay thai, at least not traditionally. For being your first fight it's really not bad. Like most guys just starting out--it's frantic and a little uncontrolled, but that's because both individuals were sort of in survival mode straight from the get-go. The subconscious fear of not knowing what's to come pumps an overproduction of chemicals and you end up gassing sooner partly because of that as well.

In general, work on maintaining a proper guard and cleaning up your punching technique. You flail more than you actually punch and you leave a lot of holes in your guard. While the elbows are held out a bit further for muay thai, the hands need to still be by your face and not out to the sides. At least in the traditional sense.

I really like to see clinch work mixed in with Muay Thai. It's what separates the men from the boys in my opinion. The clinch work you both focused on was the inside dominant grip in an effort to throw knees, but remember that you can throw knees from just about any clinch position and really within punching range as well. Maintain control of the head and arms...suck up the space and only give space when YOU want to knee. Time it, don't just constantly knee like you would trading haymakers. You caught one of his knees at around the :55 marker, that would have been a good time to have dumped him there by twisting to the same side as his caught knee. Also, at 1:09 he had your knee and you used one of the standard clinch defenses, but a little trick that you can use also is is to angle your knee a little more like a half shin-half knee kick, and put pressure on that side as you pull with your left arm to twist while hopping on your standing leg a little over to your right. This should twist him over to your left and as you rotate around you can land on top of him. This looks better to judges because you're the one on top.

That said, I'd also like to have seen you time the guy with jabs and teeps first to let him know that you can read him. It's a great way to diminish his confidence when he gets hit every time he tries to his you. As far as other kicks go...you didn't really have a lot of heat on them. You seemed to kick with the only intention to get into punching/clinching range. That's a valid tactic but think about how much more effective you'd be if the kick hurt him too? I know with the pads though you basically don't even feel the kicks, but it's the idea behind it.

Not too bad brotha. Good job for your first time out. It doesn't get easier as time goes on, but it does get better and more controlled as you get used to fighting. Just wait till you do it for the first time without shin guards on...a whole new world then because you can drop a guy with a single good kick.

I'm not gonna critique what you did because it was done well allready.
I'll take a look at your opponent and explain stuff instead.

Your opponent didn't check kicks (you did tho, good job).
Mix it up, you barely used your left, no inside kicks, no calf kicks.
Also, pivot. Your left foot shouldn't be pointing opponents shoulder when you kick.

Most of the time you come at him/he comes at you in a linear way.
No moving around. Instead of always pushing foreward, you could have:
-Step to your right and kick his liver with your left kick, inside leg kick.
-Step to your left and kick away.

Saamag gave you pointers on you stance and he was dead on.
I like the high guard because you can elbow alot from it. Clinch alot from it.
Don't trow the baby out with the water.

As a whole, good job.
Just polish a few things.

Last edited:
Well...you guys started off pretty hard. That's not a common trait of muay thai, at least not traditionally. For being your first fight it's really not bad. Like most guys just starting out--it's frantic and a little uncontrolled, but that's because both individuals were sort of in survival mode straight from the get-go. The subconscious fear of not knowing what's to come pumps an overproduction of chemicals and you end up gassing sooner partly because of that as well.

In general, work on maintaining a proper guard and cleaning up your punching technique. You flail more than you actually punch and you leave a lot of holes in your guard. While the elbows are held out a bit further for muay thai, the hands need to still be by your face and not out to the sides. At least in the traditional sense.

I really like to see clinch work mixed in with Muay Thai. It's what separates the men from the boys in my opinion. The clinch work you both focused on was the inside dominant grip in an effort to throw knees, but remember that you can throw knees from just about any clinch position and really within punching range as well. Maintain control of the head and arms...suck up the space and only give space when YOU want to knee. Time it, don't just constantly knee like you would trading haymakers. You caught one of his knees at around the :55 marker, that would have been a good time to have dumped him there by twisting to the same side as his caught knee. Also, at 1:09 he had your knee and you used one of the standard clinch defenses, but a little trick that you can use also is is to angle your knee a little more like a half shin-half knee kick, and put pressure on that side as you pull with your left arm to twist while hopping on your standing leg a little over to your right. This should twist him over to your left and as you rotate around you can land on top of him. This looks better to judges because you're the one on top.

That said, I'd also like to have seen you time the guy with jabs and teeps first to let him know that you can read him. It's a great way to diminish his confidence when he gets hit every time he tries to his you. As far as other kicks go...you didn't really have a lot of heat on them. You seemed to kick with the only intention to get into punching/clinching range. That's a valid tactic but think about how much more effective you'd be if the kick hurt him too? I know with the pads though you basically don't even feel the kicks, but it's the idea behind it.

Not too bad brotha. Good job for your first time out. It doesn't get easier as time goes on, but it does get better and more controlled as you get used to fighting. Just wait till you do it for the first time without shin guards on...a whole new world then because you can drop a guy with a single good kick.

thanks for checking out the thread man, I really appreciate your help. i like the sound of the clinch throws, will definitely try them out at training. i really enjoyed your video of buakaw vs shinobu clinch, he makes it look so easy.

recently i started sparring boxing only rounds which has helped my hands a bit, my trainer wants me to do some boxing classes which ill start doing soon on top of mt.

I'm not gonna critique what you did because it was done well allready.
I'll take a look at your opponent and explain stuff instead.

Your opponent didn't check kicks (you did tho, good job).
Mix it up, you barely used your left, no inside kicks, no calf kicks.
Also, pivot. Your left foot shouldn't be pointing opponents shoulder when you kick.

Most of the time you come at him/he comes at you in a linear way.
No moving around. Instead of always pushing foreward, you could have:
-Step to your right and kick his liver with your left kick, inside leg kick.
-Step to your left and kick away.

Saamag gave you pointers on you stance and he was dead on.
I like the high guard because you can elbow alot from it. Clinch alot from it.
Don't trow the baby out with the water.

As a whole, good job.
Just polish a few things.

thank you Peter good points, I normally use teeps lots in sparring to the legs, hip and upper body to set up my own attack, or interrupt theirs. don't think I even teeped once this fight.

around 2:51 i catch his knee and try sweep but forget to kick his leg out. lol

Nice work. One thing I like about watching guys during their first couple of fights is they always go in with good intensity, it's fun to watch.

One thing I noticed is that you seemed to "fall" into clinching when you were pressured with punches. It seemed more like you were trying to just get out of the way of being hit more than anything else, but you scored well with your knees so that's good for you.

I'm not sure why you got told off a couple of times there though- near the start of round 2 was one, I think. What were some of the rules for this fight?

you're right about the clinch, i wasn't really comfortable at punching range, but i'm working on it.
the rules were "semi-contact" and no knees to the head, or any elbows. the ref was telling us to lighten up. Also one of his teeps got caught on my top, and he said no illegal take downs lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back