Critique my crappy stand up

GreyBelt

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just recently did some rather odd open karate tournament on Sunday, and did continuous sparring heavyweight (190+) division.

I had 4 fights, and only my last 2 were recorded. I already know most of my mistakes, but I would like some more critique. Disclaimer: I was REALLY tired these last 2 fights and I had NO idea just how much I was dropping my god damn hands.

I was also WAY too tired to throw good kicks or work combinations. Also, there were no leg kicks so that also screwed me up. Looking back on my kicks, I was kind of depressed... I usually throw some BOMBS when I kick someone.

Oh, my background is Kyokushin Karate. I did it from 7-15 until I got to Green belt Black stripe (3rd kyu) and took a LONG hiatus until now. (I'm 22 now, and started getting back into training.) I kept active by sparring with buddies who do Muay Thai and Boxing every once in a blue moon,(like once maybe twice in 6 months) as well as wrestling in high school and doing some BJJ here and there.

Anyways, let's here the critique: I am the following fights...

YouTube - rgrbaw95's Channel

Oh, and the rules were REALLY weird:
No hooks, No leg kicks, No clinching, No knees, Can't hit someone with more than 4 continuous punches, and that's all I can pretty much remember.

I already know:
1. My cardio is shit.
2. When I am tired I forget footwork and movement.
3. When I am tired I drop my hands

But yeah, I wish I was able to show the fights when I was fresh. But.. whatever. I promise to upload my future fights in this thread. I plan on training harder, and getting some more fights under my belt.

Edit: That "official," by the way, is a total dick. He reminds me of Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Seriously, someone should kick the living crap out of him, preferably you. He yells at you that you need to get a haircut, and when you drop some knees on your opponent in the red, he yells, "What the hell are you doing?!"

As far as your technique: Sometimes you drop your head and look down when you're throwing punches, which is never a good idea, but most of the time you will throw straight (albeit crisp) punches with your chin straight up. It's almost as if you become more rigid when you're about to throw, which gives your opponent a tell. Also, I noticed when you threw those illegal knees ("this ain't UFC, dawg!"), you had double underhooks, which is probably not your best position to be throwing knees from. Finally, sometimes you try to just avoid your opponent's strikes by moving straight back with your hands down; lateral movement with your guard up is obviously better.

The good: You do a pretty good job pressing the action. You've got a nice right leg/body kick followed by right straight and you did a good job avoiding a couple of hip tosses.

That said, not bad. Due to your style, knowledge of at least some MMA, and the crap rules of that tourney, you look like you'd be more comfortable in some amateur pankration type fighting. One without a ref that's such a complete asshole.

Good luck.

Last edited:
dude that referee is such a douche and his voice sounds like a girl..your pretty tough man good job you kicked that dudes ass

I hate those style tournaments, I definitely feel your pain. I entered a kyokushin karate tournament way back........ never again. Most retarded rules I've ever seen for striking.

I hate those style tournaments, I definitely feel your pain. I entered a kyokushin karate tournament way back........ never again. Most retarded rules I've ever seen for striking.

Sounds like someone got this ass kicked.

You should fight in one of our full knockdown tournaments. Are you anywhere near Alabama?

Sounds like someone got this ass kicked.

I actually got moved up a division since I was the only one in mine (20 lb) difference and took silver. Two of the guys I fought couldn't even walk after as they'd never been kicked hard before.

Edit: That "official," by the way, is a total dick. He reminds me of Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Seriously, someone should kick the living crap out of him, preferably you. He yells at you that you need to get a haircut, and when you drop some knees on your opponent in the red, he yells, "What the hell are you doing?!"

I know. There was a really bad explanation of the rules. I was basically learning the rules AS I was fighting.

All I know, is that there wasn't supposed to be clinching OR throwing, but this guy clinched me as attempted to throw me. So, my natural instinct from sparring with my Kyokushin (My sensei drilled clinch and knees) and sparring with Muay Thai friends was to knee.
As far as your technique: Sometimes you drop your head and look down when you're throwing punches, which is never a good idea, but most of the time you will throw straight (albeit crisp) punches with your chin straight up.
I know. I wish I uploaded my last 2 fights, but I think a lot of it is because of my fatigue. I don't know if you noticed, but I was DEAD tired. My first 2 opponents were BIG dudes, and I literally had to circle the ENTIRE match.

I did notice the other 2 things you were saying, though. I get lost in worrying about head movement, so I think I was not "keeping my eye on the prize" when doing head movement which ended up as me looking down while throwing punches.

Also, I'm fully aware that my chin is always straight up. I guess since I always had fast enough head movement to get my head out of the way that I forget about tucking it in. I will definitely try and work on that.
It's almost as if you become more rigid when you're about to throw, which gives your opponent a tell. Also, I noticed when you threw those illegal knees ("this ain't UFC, dawg!"), you had double underhooks, which is probably not your best position to be throwing knees from. Finally, sometimes you try to just avoid your opponent's strikes by moving straight back with your hands down; lateral movement with your guard up is obviously better.
I actually never notice that I get rigid before I'm about to throw. I will definitely work on that. I usually try and stay really relaxed because I like to pressure/counter fighting as my style. So, that's counter-productive.

Lol. I definitely noticed my knees were incorrect. I'll sum it up to fatigue. :(

Oh, and I try and back up once or twice and then circle/cut angles usually. But at that point, I was WAY too tired to keep circling since my first 2 fights I was circling the entire time.

I will definitely work on lateral movement without backing up first, definitely. AND keep my hands up. I was literally disgusted with myself with just how much I was dropping my hands the entire time. I guess I never had to spar when I was dead tired, so I immediately became very sloppy.

But, yeah. Lateral movement. Definitely.

The good: You do a pretty good job pressing the action. You've got a nice right leg/body kick followed by right straight and you did a good job avoiding a couple of hip tosses.

That said, not bad. Due to your style, knowledge of at least some MMA, and the crap rules of that tourney, you look like you'd be more comfortable in some amateur pankration type fighting. One without a ref that's such a complete asshole.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Do you know of any amateur pankration type fighting in the tri-state area? I would definitely be interested in competing.

dude that referee is such a douche and his voice sounds like a girl..your pretty tough man good job you kicked that dudes ass

Yeah. He definitely was an asshole. Thank you, dude. I don't think I'm tough, but I definitely try to be. The Kyokushin in my demands it. Lol.

Those rules absolutely were stupid, though.
I have to respectfully disagree on the kyokushin thing, though. While I don't agree with the no head punches and no clinching rule, there is nothing wrong with the established rules due to no gloves or headgear.
Different strokes, different folks.

You should fight in one of our full knockdown tournaments. Are you anywhere near Alabama?
No. I'm in Connecticut. But, with enough time to prepare I'd be more than happy to attend.

Any details?

Another tournament. Here are my fights:

I apologize about the odd camera angle. My girlfriend recorded and she's smart... but very ditzy. lol

Semi-final:

Here's the final match:

Background story:
Rules: No clinching, knees or leg kicks.

I got like 3 hours of sleep (I was nervous) and did a 4 man sport jiu jitsu (that I will upload) tourney before that. This was spread apart like.. I wanna say 1 hour... so I was dead tired to say the least.

My biggest challenge that I am constantly trying to improve is cardio. Lol. But... yeah. Please critique.

Last edited:
Awsome dude I'm not gana critique you because your alot better than me. I like your style but "this aint the ufc dawg!", ahaha that cracked me up. You seem to have a good sense of range/timing, good punches. The guy in the red GI won? I rekon you would have got him if you were fresh and the round was a bit longer. He loves his side kicks doesn't he? I fuckin hate people who use side kicks all the time, a bitch to spar.

Awsome dude I'm not gana critique you because your alot better than me. I like your style but "this aint the ufc dawg!", ahaha that cracked me up. You seem to have a good sense of range/timing, good punches. The guy in the red GI won? I rekon you would have got him if you were fresh and the round was a bit longer. He loves his side kicks doesn't he? I fuckin hate people who use side kicks all the time, a bitch to spar.

Thanks, man.

...Yeah. The guy in the red gi won the first round.
I had the second round until I threw those knees, lol. At that point there was no way I could win.

The side kicks weren't the problem, because they didn't hurt and I had them figured out after the first round. The problem was every time I closed the distance he would run to get distance again. It wasn't even good footwork too, it was literally running.

But... yeah. Watch the other two, I just embedded them.

Back