Critique my BJJ game (w/ videos)

stoops36

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So i had my first BJJ competition this past week and had a blast. Iv only been training for a few months. Also coming into the tournament i was coming off absolutely zero training or practice in a month because I had to leave for school. Anyways heres 2 videos of my first matches so if you guys could give me some insight on what you think my glaring holes are and how I could improve on it I would greatly appreciate it. Im wearing the White Gi pants btw. Thanks

I Eventually lost this match by armbar although its not recorded....

first win of the career

im extremely raw so im sure u can go on forever with what i need to work on but well say what are the biggest things i guess

I couldn't watch all of it, as I have to rush off now to beddy bye, and take it for what it is worth as I am but a lowly blue belt. But in the first match, you showed the ability to regain or hold a decent base at times (avoiding the kimura and hip bump sweeps) but you let your opponent work from his guard too much. You were able to avoid his attacks but you need to be stopping his progress dead. He should never be so mobile under you as we was in the first 3 or 4 minutes. You have to kill his hips, control his hips limit his mobility. Start working your passes. Whether they be low smashing passes or stand up in his guard and start to pass..but never just sit in his guard defending sub/sweep attempts all day...or it will be one close call after another. :) Kill the hips.

That is all I've got.

:)

at that 4:40 mark when you finally stood up you should have been proactive in pinning his legs and looking to pass or pass ... nice job jumping over and avoiding the omoplata ... but he got a sweep and top position out of it .... at one point when you were turtle and he had top position in front of you he didn't have head and arm control he just had his arms wrapped around you ... that should have been your chance to move ... when you were trying to do the double scoop pass you need to get his hips on top of yours ... suck him tight then start to sprawl and pass .... one thing i definitely notice you leave one arm isolated quite often ... don't worry i did this a lot when i first started too ... try to remember either both in or both out and keep your arms in a tight, don't let him control one .... if you feel him taking your back ... you need to do your best to square up to him ... never let someone take your back ... finally if and when someone is mounted the first reaction should be to start framing on their hips and start shrimping immediately ... do not wait ... hope some of this helps ....

Dude! I almost went to that to cheer a friend on but something came up. I'm too new to compete but really wanted to.

Where do you train?

Wow, submission only tournament for your first tournament? Impressive. Looked like win was via pure exhaustion by your opponent, but a win is a win. Good stuff!

Dude! I almost went to that to cheer a friend on but something came up. I'm too new to compete but really wanted to.

Where do you train?

aw man it was sweet, being that it was the first competition it was deffinitely a fun experience. But i trained at Team Balance on Brownsville rd. I had to stop cuz i left for school but they actually moved and now Team Balance is in Greentree which is who i competed under.

aw man it was sweet, being that it was the first competition it was deffinitely a fun experience. But i trained at Team Balance on Brownsville rd. I had to stop cuz i left for school but they actually moved and now Team Balance is in Greentree which is who i competed under.

I head out to balance now on night shifts, I train out in delmont off of 66 normally though @ 1440 MMA

I head out to balance now on night shifts, I train out in delmont off of 66 normally though @ 1440 MMA

thats sweet i havent rlly gotten a chance to checkout any other gyms or anything i just started getting into actually training a few months ago n went straight to balance. Their great there tho and rlly good people so i think i lucked out with that being the first place i checked out

I couldn't watch all of it, as I have to rush off now to beddy bye, and take it for what it is worth as I am but a lowly blue belt. But in the first match, you showed the ability to regain or hold a decent base at times (avoiding the kimura and hip bump sweeps) but you let your opponent work from his guard too much. You were able to avoid his attacks but you need to be stopping his progress dead. He should never be so mobile under you as we was in the first 3 or 4 minutes. You have to kill his hips, control his hips limit his mobility. Start working your passes. Whether they be low smashing passes or stand up in his guard and start to pass..but never just sit in his guard defending sub/sweep attempts all day...or it will be one close call after another. :) Kill the hips.

That is all I've got.

thanks and i know my guard passing is horrid iv been trying to find new techniques for passing or at least just keep working on the same pass and getting better at it

The one thing that I see that will help you improve is the use of your hips and paying attention to the hips of your opponent.

When passing the guard creating pressure on your opponents hips will help to immobilize him and also getting your hips heavy on your opponent quicker will help your passing game. Guard passing is one of my strong suits and the two things I'm focusing on (after the basics of posture and safety or course) are immobilizing my opponents hips and then getting my hips low and heavy as soon as possible after clearing the legs. You should be working to get either your hip or knee to the ground as soon as possible.

For only training for a few months you look good especially in the area of sub-defense, but as was stated earlier you should really concentrate on not putting your self in danger. Stay safer and it'll let you play more offense. I hope you keep training and competing.

Last edited:
Be more careful pulling guard unless you particularly enjoy HG bottom. Maybe try some sacrifice throws instead.

I just scanned the first vid. My input: Work on your wrestling. You pulled half guard but your were totally flat on your back. You should be on your side. I think someone in the background yelled this as well. Nice sweep though. As mentioned by the others, work on your pass. Impose your game on the other fella & not vice versa. Never give your opponent the chance to set up his game. As said, if you're defending, you're losing. You'll learn to correct your mistakes as you go along. That's what is so fun about BJJ is that you always learn something new with each roll & you get to do problem solving. Hope that helps.

Be more careful pulling guard unless you particularly enjoy HG bottom. Maybe try some sacrifice throws instead.

haha yea i noticed that too i deffinitely wasnt trying to pull half guard. Just sloppiness on my behalf and prob some nervousness mixed in

Dude, that's my gym! Do you train there or just attended the tournament? I only go up during the summer cause I'm farther away during college.

EDIT- Also, I've only been training a year and a half so my best advice for no-gi is work on posturing up and opening his closed guard. I usually do the really basis way of pushing off his stomach and then digging my elbows into his legs. Once his guard opens, try continue putting pressure on it and pinning on of his legs to the mat. It makes passing way easier after.

Also, read the rest of the topic. You're with Jimmy Cerra and Team Balance. Heard their a good group. Never been to a class though.

Last edited:
Dude, that's my gym! Do you train there or just attended the tournament? I only go up during the summer cause I'm farther away during college.

EDIT- Also, I've only been training a year and a half so my best advice for no-gi is work on posturing up and opening his closed guard. I usually do the really basis way of pushing off his stomach and then digging my elbows into his legs. Once his guard opens, try continue putting pressure on it and pinning on of his legs to the mat. It makes passing way easier after.

Also, read the rest of the topic. You're with Jimmy Cerra and Team Balance. Heard their a good group. Never been to a class though.

haha yea man at first i thought u meant Balance was your gym and i was like oh shit lol but yea u guys had a really good turnout for the tournament alot of people came and everyone was real cool. But ya breaking guard is one of my major probs that i prob just need to keep working on and itll get better

haha yea man at first i thought u meant Balance was your gym and i was like oh shit lol but yea u guys had a really good turnout for the tournament alot of people came and everyone was real cool. But ya breaking guard is one of my major probs that i prob just need to keep working on and itll get better

Yea, they just moved back to greensburg. We use to have class in this small little room. The new place is pretty nice. Glad to see they are doing well so far.

Yea, its really important to learn to cause if you don't get good at it, the other guy (especially in a no time tournament) will stall and get his breath while you aren't doing anything effective.

That is all I've got.

This is the biggest thing i notices also. Hands pinning the hips or hands pinning the arm pits or whatever, but you just sat in there letting him do his thing. Smash him back down and if he tries to sit up punch a stiff arm into his chest and pin him back down.

Also you gave him wrist control way to much. and you let him break your posture over and over way to easy.

All three of these work together, so i would say don't give him wrist control, kill his hips and posture up and don't let him control your posture.

I feel like you accepted that he was stronger than you or something. He would put a arm/hand behind your head and instantly pull your whole body down and wrap you up. get a little more rough inside his guard.

Also, why the Gi pants in a Nogi match? Seems it just gives him the advantage as he can grab those to pin your legs and try and pass your guard.

Also, why the Gi pants in a Nogi match? Seems it just gives him the advantage as he can grab those to pin your legs and try and pass your guard.

i dont own even a single pair of trunks lol i didnt rlly plan on entering the competition until about 7 days before. i didnt really know if i was allowed to wear regular shorts or if that would come off as ghetto or what so i just threw on the gi pants. I actually thought it might play to my advantage with grip and everything cuz i planned on him being in my guard lol although obviously the whole match was the complete opposite

Stop leading with your head and shoulders.

Sit on one of his legs.

Hug his hips

slow down.

He let you pass so many times and you did see it because you wanted something else

Back