• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Criticism of Jordan Peterson thread v3

Is Jordan Peterson a genius?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • I think he's a genius is in his field and in key areas but I object to views he has outside it

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I think he's a genius and right on most issues I care about and can overlook imperfections.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • He's an idiot in every area, even in psychology, and clearly was not deserving of being his position

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think he's intellectually capable and is problematic because of what he does with his capabilities

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • There are select issues I vehemently disagree on but he's of very high intellect in most arenas

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • He has no scholarly/intellectual capabilities and only appears to have any if you're jsut stupid

• He's just a man going through life the best he can, but he often has no idea what he's talking about

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • He's genuinely smart but not truly a genius

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem for incels isn't that no women will marry them, it's that Jennifer Lawrence won't marry them. They think this:

anna-taylor.jpg

...is an abominable swamp monster and not an option, they'll only settle for this:

sophia-kristen-matchup070901.jpg
It’s just a weird mindset that’s wrapped up is sour grapes, misogyny and infantilism.

Grow a pair, get a job, find a girl with a couple of decent qualities, pop out a couple of kids, try to raise them ok, read some books, drink some beer, try to do some good deeds along the way, die, and see what’s behind door number 2...

When did any of this become so difficult?

Last edited:
I don't disagree here. Though I do think you could make a case that the "enforced monogamy" part was the closest that JP has come to really step in it as far as setups go. It's quite possible that by now JP feels (and perhaps with very good reason) that much of his audience is the type that's clearly not gonna take a NYT write up with Patriarchy in its title remotely seriously and so he felt he could be freer to think out loud the way psychologists often do.

Would he have known what the title of the article would be in advance? Either way, I do think he employed some mental judo here; using the blind desire to smear JP against her. Enforced monogamy is an anthropologic term that the journalist, out of ignorance or malice, is misrepresenting in her article. So in that sense I don't think he stepped in it. But, this one seems to be working on the sheep, so maybe he did.

That doesn't make it the least bit insightful or even helpful. I honestly can't think of a less insightful or original piece of advice. If that is what people are tuning in for, that is the big payoff, then I'm even more unimpressed by Ben Shapiro and his YouTube fans.
No one said it it is insightful. but it is bang on. Those that can't follow it are the problem, not Shapiro or his fans.

No one said it it is insightful. but it is bang on. Those that can't follow it are the problem, not Shapiro or his fans.

Shapiro and his fans are not a problem, just really lame.

Anyone who could follow along the debate, especially on the "white privilege" topic would know that it didn't hold up logically.

Dyson tried to cover up his failed logic with big words and personal insults in a weak attempt to get the crowd into buying into his argument...

Break what he's saying down...and it falls apart and makes no fucking sense as does this boogey man called "white privledge"

What you describe personifies the left and their methods. They've bin so dumb downed watching the likes of Bill Maher and company and responding like clapping seals they don't even recognized when their talking absolute rubish and have been totally destroyed with logic.

What's lame about wanting society to function better?
Because....because.....BECAUSE! Thats why!

1392.gif

(I don't like Shapiro, btw. Not for anything he's said that I'm aware of, just because. I feel like I need to say that because I don't want to be labeled a Shapiro "fan", but now I'm worried I might be labeled an anti-semite....).

(I don't like Shapiro, btw. Not for anything he's said that I'm aware of, just because. I feel like I need to say that because I don't want to be labeled a Shapiro "fan", but now I'm worried I might be labeled an anti-semite....).

I'm having a moment here, I was just thinking the same thing before I came into this thread.

Dude is off-putting to me, I just can't relate to him.

Not knowing the context of this statement/discussion, Shapiro's platform is fundamentally incompatible with societal functionality: he pedals disinformation and spurious statistics to reproduce a static and reductive worldview where nuance is evil and dissent is hysterical. His entire platform is that the leftmost 30% of the country (which includes most of academia and most of the country's greatest thinkers) are malevolent, illogical, and trying to subvert the interests of everyone else.

Say what you will about Peterson: he seems to be a more intellectually honest and an altogether better person than Shapiro.

I
At the core of all this is a complete misunderstanding of how dating works and how one's place in the world determines dating success to a large extent. Isn't this exactly what Peterson's message to young people is? Get your shit together, take responsibility and actually do something with your life rather than just bitch all the time. That's exactly what the opposite of what these guys are doing, and women aren't to blame.

What you wrote is exactly what Peterson has been saying. When people attack him for only catering to men then he admits that he is trying to improve men so that women will have better partners. It makes sense. Both women and men would be happier if men would get their act together and stop whining.

What you describe personifies the left and their methods. They've bin so dumb downed watching the likes of Bill Maher and company and responding like clapping seals they don't even recognized when their talking absolute rubish and have been totally destroyed with logic.
Who bin dumbed down, you say?

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

This article is quite a long read, but absolutely destroys Peterson and makes a pretty strong case that he is a charlatan. Worth the time IMO.

Robinson is very smart, but he is tendentious and intellectually uncharitable. It really shows in his takedown of Peterson, which is manifestly the work of a man with an ax to grind and few scruples about how he uses it.

In that spirit, I did a reply to this article the last time it was posted: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/j...ual-we-deserve.3728129/page-11#post-139484057

Here is a more even-handed take-down by Russ McSwain: https://www.americanthinker.com/art...driving_his_critics_to_desperate_attacks.html

I'm having a moment here, I was just thinking the same thing before I came into this thread.

Dude is off-putting to me, I just can't relate to him.
Say what you will about Peterson: he seems to be a more intellectually honest and an altogether better person than Shapiro.
The difference between Shapiro and Peterson is that Shapiro seems more interested in winning debates and exchanges and "owning" the other side while Peterson, while flawed in his own ways, seems more interested in speaking the truth or at least discussing interesting ideas. Also Shapiro is just an asshole in general while Peterson, who can be dramatic, tries to be more diplomatic.

Can't stand Shapiro but I do like Peterson.

I don't understand all this hate towards Dr. Peterson. He is a genuinely good person and he is actually trying to help people. He cares about the suffering of others and wants to help empower them so that they can get their lives together.

Strawman. Nobody said that at all.

I said Ben Shapiro and his fans are lame. Why? Where do I begin. How about the fact that they are a group of people who love catch phrases, but don't seem believe it applies to them (a common theme). They accuse everybody of phony outrage, they tell everybody they don't actually care about anything and are just virtue signaling, but then Ben Shapiro makes videos ranting about children's movies like Frozen, intentionally misinterprets the very simple lyrics, and basically claims that it is a leftist ideological attack on our kids. His fans, of course, agree in the comments. That's hugely lame. That's just the kinda thing they'd accuse other people of virtue signaling, looking for recreational outrage, etc. But that doesn't apply to them.

Or the fact that he intentionally mischaracterizes gender identity, then says that it's evil to explain it to children, and it's mythical, and goes on to say it's, "Significantly more mythical than the easter bunny or santa clause because it's counter to biology" lol. Yeah, Ben Shapiro thinks giant fucking bunnies who spread chocolate on Easter is well within the bounds of biology, far more than the possibility that some prenatal, hormonal, genetic factors can influence one's gender identity. Again, both dumb as shit and lame.

Or when he rants against the new Rosanne series incessantly. Why? Because it "falsely presents Trump fans." "Those are not real Trump fans! That's not the people who voted for Trump!" Except they are, Rosanne did vote for Trump and she created the character. She is a real Trump voter. Who exactly does Ben Shapiro think he is to be in the position to call Roseanne some type of fake Trump voter? Lol.

Or his entire rant about Hollywood trying to normalize leftist ideology. From top to bottom, he says ridiculous things. If a character gets pregnant out of wedlock on the program (Friends), it's because leftists are trying to normalize it, it's an attack on culture! It couldn't be that art reflects reality and that some people actually do have children. It couldn't be that those stories are real stories that also need to be told. There must be a hidden agenda, lol.

These examples are only from what people have posted on here. If I actually spent some time watching his videos I'm sure I could compile an encyclopedia of lame Ben Shapiro. Ben Shapiro is about as lame as a youtube persona can get. He is often flat out comical in how myopic he is when discussing topics. He knows he has youtube fans who just want to hear him talk about the leftists. Leftists, bad!! That's about all he'd really have to say to keep those subscribers.

Last edited:
Peterson must be doing something right, because it seems like the left have put the pedal to the floor in their quest to discredit and destroy him.

It really shows the intellectual laziness that is pervasive on both sides. Everyone just wants to find a moron on the other side to debate and destroy. Liberals want to debate their stereotypical redneck conservative and conservatives want to debate their stereotypical mindless beta liberal. So when you get an intelligent, credible, well spoken, calm guy like Jordan Peterson, it drives people NUTS because you actually have to be intelligence, credible, well spoken and calm to compete with him.

So instead, you get the brainless attacks - "OMG PETERSON IS A FAVOURITE OF NAZIS!!!" I'm sure Nazis like chocolate ice cream too. Fucking dolts.

It's pretty clear the author of that article just has an issue with Peterson, and made several dishonest points to get there. Not really anything of value in your work if you have to lie to get there.

The point he made was fair enough, and I can even stand for a bit of lying to get there. In a sense, Peterson's ascension does signal a sense of desperation, to have somewhat intelligent-sounding people speaking in our stead. But I wouldn't necessarily bring up Peterson as an example of intellectual corrosion in the modern day.

Who was the most prominent intellectual before Peterson got on the scene? Joe Rogan? Bill Maher? John Oliver? In that sense, I think Peterson represents an upwards movement. Atleast he's an academic of some merit. Not just a random guy with a podcast and a huge audience. Or a part-comedian/part-political commentary. He's a man that actually attempts to take himself, and what he says, seriously.

This opens up possibilities for other academics to potentially even upstage Peterson's success, as long as they're willing to put in the work to become part of the public debate. Regardless of whether they reside on the right, or the left. With enough wits and rhetoric, the scene is wide open. The hacks that mostly populate it, aren't going to serve as obstacles, unless you lower yourself to their level.

I would say that it is preferable that Peterson is there, than if he wasn't. Because what if he wasn't? Do people want Donald Trump to be the sole representative of right-wing, conservative thought? Perhaps that would make things easier on the left, I suppose. But sometimes you need to worry about more than just having it "easy".

The left in America has had it plenty easy with mostly having to argue against religious nutjobs, Fox News and the Bush regime, for the past decades. Those people discredited themselves long before they got into any arguments. Peterson, at the very least, offers the kind of competition that the left has clearly not readied themselves for, because of the low level of ideological rivals. That's why we often see people resorting to misrepresentation, spinning, deflecting, because they've become used to that being the norm, with the Fox News/neo-con types. It's as if they've assumed the platform they used to fight against, for themselves.

Their own intellectual corrosion, is what they ought to be worried about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back