Creatine and Whey.

T

Tkdmmafighter**

This seems like an easy question, but im having a hard time gettin answers. How long should i wait after taking creatine to take whey? Or does it even really matter that much? Some things ive read say 30-45 mins after creatine, some say it doesnt matter. Thanks.

You can usually find a study that supports whatever nutritional opinion you have, so take all of this with a grain of salt. Consuming creatine on an empty stomach, with a high glycemic drink, triggers the insulin response in your body, which helps to push more nutrients (in this case, creatine) into your muscles. In other words, doing it this way is supposed to help your body use as much of the creatine as possible, especially because that's the only thing that your body is metabolizing. I don't know that it really matters that much but if you have the time you can wait 30 minutes before consuming your protein. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

BC.

It is constantly preached that post workout nutrition is the most important of the entire day, and it is. The original thought was that getting the nutrients you needed within an hour was sufficient for this anabolic time frame.
Assuming that 15 minutes is 100% potential anabolic activity within the body, by 60 minutes, it has dropped by 30%. This "Golden" time frame is more like 15-30 minutes, after that, it drops off dramatically. This window closes within 45 mins. This time frame is based off of insulin sensitivity. After just 2 hours, the insulin sensitivy is back to what is considered normal. This is why both carbs and protein are vital at this time, especially a faster absorbing carb like dextrose.

What nutrients are recommended for best results? From a compilation of studies on an athlete 200lbs...

15g+ of whey
40g dextrose
1-2g of Leucine
1-2g Glutamine
Vitamin C 60-120mg
Vitamin E 80-400iu

Water is obviously the best choice to mix with.

So taking creatine with whey somehow cancels the effects of creatine, or am I understanding this wrong.
Cytogainer?

I believe that protein triggers a similar insulin response that high GI foods do, and therefore it is fine to take tem at the same time. This is what i do.

Wow, man, that's from right field. I wonder who told him that.

Creatine and whey at the same time is fine. In fact, it's most likely better since creatine doesn't occur in isolation in nature.

Madmick said:
Wow, man, that's from right field. I wonder who told him that.

Creatine and whey at the same time is fine. In fact, it's most likely better since creatine doesn't occur in isolation in nature.

Your last fact is simple...much appreciated.

For now, I just toss a little creatine (3-5gm) in my post w/o whey shake, when I'm in a creatine cycle.

Some say to take it prior to the workout so it is available in the bloodstream while you are working out. Note that many also recommend that you mix your creatine with some high-sugar liquid like grape juice.

I used to follow that advice and take creatine w/grape juice prior to working out and definately felt some increases in strength, energy, and endurance. But then I realized that the energy boost might be more a result of the sugar rush than the creatine. Eliminating the creatine and just drinking the grape juice before a workout gave me basically the same boost as with the creatine.

Curious as to whether creatine helped me at all, I stopped all pre-workout injestion of creatine and any sugar, and just added it to the post w/o whey shake. I usually just eat a meal with some slow-carbs about 1-2 hours before working out. I kept a careful log of my productivity during workouts and also my energy levels.

Then I cycled off the creatine for a month, and keep recording carefully.

While off creatine for more than 30 days, I noticed that my "expected" progress was reduced by maybe a single rep or two on some exercises, which could also be explained by general variance, so I'm not convinced creatine helps me in regard to strength, because some days I was able to perform to better than extraopolated expectations. (I generally am able to add 1-2 reps per set, per exercise on average each week, and add around 10lbs or so when my rep count gets too high after a month or two).

While I am still not convinced as to strength gains due to creatine for me personally, it is clear to that creatine consistantly reduces my post workout aches and fatigue, so I continue to use it mainly for that reason (in cycles). I go 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off, and I only buy cheap Creatine Monohydrate, so I'm not blowing my cash on stuff like Xyience NOXCG3 :) In the Whey mix it goes.

Thats just my personal experience, YMMV.

Grady said:
For now, I just toss a little creatine (3-5gm) in my post w/o whey shake, when I'm in a creatine cycle.

Some say to take it prior to the workout so it is available in the bloodstream while you are working out. Note that many also recommend that you mix your creatine with some high-sugar liquid like grape juice.

I used to follow that advice and take creatine w/grape juice prior to working out and definately felt some increases in strength, energy, and endurance. But then I realized that the energy boost might be more a result of the sugar rush than the creatine. Eliminating the creatine and just drinking the grape juice before a workout gave me basically the same boost as with the creatine.

Curious as to whether creatine helped me at all, I stopped all pre-workout injestion of creatine and any sugar, and just added it to the post w/o whey shake. I usually just eat a meal with some slow-carbs about 1-2 hours before working out. I kept a careful log of my productivity during workouts and also my energy levels.

Then I cycled off the creatine for a month, and keep recording carefully.

While off creatine for more than 30 days, I noticed that my "expected" progress was reduced by maybe a single rep or two on some exercises, which could also be explained by general variance, so I'm not convinced creatine helps me in regard to strength, because some days I was able to perform to better than extraopolated expectations. (I generally am able to add 1-2 reps per set, per exercise on average each week, and add around 10lbs or so when my rep count gets too high after a month or two).

While I am still not convinced as to strength gains due to creatine for me personally, it is clear to that creatine consistantly reduces my post workout aches and fatigue, so I continue to use it mainly for that reason (in cycles). I go 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off, and I only buy cheap Creatine Monohydrate, so I'm not blowing my cash on stuff like Xyience NOXCG3 :) In the Whey mix it goes.

Thats just my personal experience, YMMV.

did u also do sample t-tests examining the analysis of variance?.. did u reject the null hypothesis after finding out ur significance level is greater than alpha?

did the regression model have any outliers and were they significant?.. i have not idea what i'm talking about.. cuz this shit confuses the fuck outta me.. i hate stats! :mad:

Creatine before and after workout seems to work well for many. Taking them in sequence like this allows you to gain the strength benefits for your workout and after helps with protein synthesis and cellular swelling and rebuilding.

supersudo said:
did u also do sample t-tests examining the analysis of variance?.. did u reject the null hypothesis after finding out ur significance level is greater than alpha?

did the regression model have any outliers and were they significant?.. i have not idea what i'm talking about.. cuz this shit confuses the fuck outta me.. i hate stats! :mad:

Haha - heck no! I could have done a statistic significance analysis if I really cared enough about it, but I don't think it be useful. I have done that sort of thing in my job (long time ago, tho), when trying to prove if a process change was the cause of different results. The problem with measuring workout progress is that there are so many other variables that affect your intensity, including intangibles like mental intensity, that the result would probably be suspect anyway.

I think I get a minor benefit from Creatine in my whey shakes so I continue to use it, like I said, mainly for reduced soreness and recovery, which is what I noticed most about it.

BTW, excellent post Grady.

Back