Crazy matchups that are very possible, but very unlikely...

Cejudo-Edgar at 135 (One more silver medal for New Jersey)

Ronda-Holly 2 (Ronda wins with a real camp)

Jones-DC 3 at HW (Still want it)

Conor-Paulie (Boxing)

Hardy-Ngannou

So, you just made a list of two well known names where one fighter changes weight classes?

I got one for you: Souza v Blachowicz ;)
LOL. That matchup will be ok. Hopefully they don't show too much fatigue. But the OP matchups are almost guaranteed bangers.

Tony Ferguson vs. Kelvin Gastelum at 170lbs
Kelvin's not making 170 again.

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Colby Covington 170lbs
This would be fun, Khabib takes it.

Tony vs. Nate any weight
Tony for sure. He's basically a more well rounded version of Nate.

Jorge Masvidal vs. Kelvin Gastelum 170lbs
Kelvin isn't making 170, I think he'd handle Masvidal fairly easy though

Alexander Gustaffson vs. Paulo Costa 205lbs
Gus's heart isn't in it anymore. Costa would fuck him up currently.

Adesanya vs Usman 185
Usman wins this. Israel just doesn't have the grappling experience to hang with him, and doesn't really have the KO power to take him out standing.

Wonderboy vs Mousasi 185
This could be a cool matchup. I'd probably lean towards Mousasi, however I think both are past their prime.

Jones vs Stipe Heavyweight
This might be the most likely fight to happen on the list. Jones doesn't lose fights.... And Stipe is very hittable. I wouldn't bet against Jones in this one.
Thanks for the detailed response. I can understand where you're coming from with the Adesanya vs Usman fight but on the other, I question if Usman can consistantly get a hold of Israel. Kamaru is smaller but not faster. Also has a massive reach disadvantage. Besides very solid takedown defense, Israel has great footwork and won't simply back into the cage to get tied up. Adesanya doesn't need power. He knows how to set up his shots and hit you in the right spot. Does Kamaru have the striking experience to deal with the feints and get Adesanya to respect him on the feet?

As for Gus vs. Costa. You're right that it does depend on where Alexander's mindset is. But assuming he comes focused, I think it would be another interesting battle of constant pressure vs. constant footwork/movement.

I don't know why you feel Wonderboy or Mousasi are washed up. Especially Moose. But I would favor him as well. Only slightly though. Mousasi would have to make it dirty though. He can't let Wonderboy dance around him and dictate the pace of the fight like he did with Machida. As a matter of fact I'm changing my pick lol.

As for Stipe vs Jones. I don't feel Stipe has the skills or athleticism to really make Jon uncomfortable so yeah I wouldn't bet against him. Still an interesting fight.

Back