cracked/bruised rib

Mr. Fresca

Thanks for playing
@Brown
Reaction score
Earlier this week at boxing practice I was sparring like usual and this guy landed a hard ass body shot on my left side (more on the front under my chest) as I was throwing a left hook.

I felt instant pain and thought I just had the wind knocked out of me but then when the pain wouldn't go away I realized I was fucked. Man I have either a cracked or bruised rib because this shit hurts like hell.

It was a little swollen on the first day but now is just extremely painful to breathe, move, etc.
I got on some vicodin and it helps a little but I still cannot believe this dude did that with a punch. I mean, he is pretty amateur and only weighs about 160 lbs

Any idea how long I will be out of commision??

Well it would depend on if the rib is broke or just bruised. I'd give it a week to a week and a half and if it's still painful get a X-ray. If between now and then you have any problems breathing or if your pissing blood seek medical help. But then again I'm not a doctor.

I recently did the exact same thing, im also a lacrosse player, and I got trucked with a helmet full speed to my unprotected ribs. I couldn

Don't be too shocked; ribs crack easier than most folks think. A 160-lb boxer with skill should have no problems taking out a rib with a well-placed shot. If it's a floating rib, easier still.

Dunno what to tell you. You know how bad you hurt, not me. I'll give you the same advice I give anyone who comes here hurt and asking for suggestions: see a doc, get your injury evaluated and assessed by a professional, and follow his advice, now the advice of a bunch of dudes on amessageboard.

Mr. Fresca said:
Earlier this week at boxing practice I was sparring like usual and this guy landed a hard ass body shot on my left side (more on the front under my chest) as I was throwing a left hook.

I felt instant pain and thought I just had the wind knocked out of me but then when the pain wouldn't go away I realized I was fucked. Man I have either a cracked or bruised rib because this shit hurts like hell.

It was a little swollen on the first day but now is just extremely painful to breathe, move, etc.
I got on some vicodin and it helps a little but I still cannot believe this dude did that with a punch. I mean, he is pretty amateur and only weighs about 160 lbs

Any idea how long I will be out of commision??
I just got over this injury man, and I really feel for you! Go see a Doctor. I did, but there was nothing he could do for me, my cartilage was torn. I was out for 63 days. sixty-fucking-three! It was about two weeks before I felt releif from the pain of sitting up. 5 weeks before I could lie on the injured side. 7 weeks before I could sleep on my stomach. Word of advice: Don't do anything remotely physical for the first while, untill the pain goes away. Then you can proly ride on a stationary bike and go for long walks, that'll be it tho' unfortunately.

Wow. Tough situation. I'd get that x-rayed if I still felt it after 2-3 days.
Could be a crack in the rib aswell. "It was a little swollen on the first day but now is just extremely painful to breathe, move, etc.". It's most likely injured. If I were you I'd go to the doctors.

Get better!

I am acutally recovering from a rib injury.
I got slammed into an entertainment center.
It hurt to breath for a week and a half, and
now two months later it still has a big lump there and hurts.

There is not a whole you can do for a rib injury.
Many times they will x ray it and find the break
and either wrap it up or just tell you to take it easy.

Make sure you take plenty of time off cause
you dont want to reinjure it.

Back