Cowboy Cerrone and the Welterweight Title Picture - How Close is He?

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
Cowboy has finished his first two opponents since coming to 170, and is now facing top 12 ranked Rick Story. If he beats Story, how close is this guy to a title shot at 170? Hopefully the UFC doesn't go full heal mode and make him fight 3-4 top 10 guys again to earn a shot. I'd say he is three wins away? What do you think?

As long as conor is in the picture he is never going to get close to the title again.

As long as conor is in the picture he is never going to get close to the title again.
Oh man what a great way to start this thread.

A-level trolling good sir.

I'm not sure how far he can go IMO or how serious he is about WW - will consider him seriously if he gets past Story who while not high profile is a tough fight for anyone - good chin, work rate, wrestling, cardio and hits hard - could be a bad match up for Cowboy.

h needs to beat a couple of top 5 guys for a title shot

If he wins against Rick Story then he is probably 2 fights away at most.

Hope he losses to Story and think he will.

He is close to climax is the only thing I know.

In a certain way I compare Cerrone to Condit, perhaps not as high volume striking, but both have very good kickboxing as well but IMO Cerrone does have a little more KO power than Condit and both with slick ground game. He has his chances if fought the right guys. He´s fought 1 punch KO power guys like Guillard (yes, he has no ground game, but Cerrone didn´t take it to the ground), Jeremy Stephens (1 punch ko power), he also beat the current LW champion in Alvarez, beat Barbosa.... so it´s not so far fetched to see him advancing in the rankings.

With the way Woodley is ducking contenders I would say 9-10 more wins at WW.

Not close. I think the top guys at 170 would manhandle Donald.

In a certain way I compare Cerrone to Condit, perhaps not as high volume striking, but both have very good kickboxing as well but IMO Cerrone does have a little more KO power than Condit and both with slick ground game. He has his chances if fought the right guys. He´s fought 1 punch KO power guys like Guillard (yes, he has no ground game, but Cerrone didn´t take it to the ground), Jeremy Stephens (1 punch ko power), he also beat the current LW champion in Alvarez, beat Barbosa.... so it´s not so far fetched to see him advancing in the rankings.

Same. They are both tall for theor weight class and both really lean/thin and not strong. The shorter more stout and muscular well built fighters will always beat them and give them trouble. Truth is WW is a weight class for a certain optimum height range. Guys who are 6'2 no matter their body build are better equipped for MW to LHW and some can even do HW if they develop the muscularity properly.

And what I mean by that is for every height their is a optimum range for weight and lean body mass. There is also a typical rsnge and max of what a human can naturally achieve and be carrying in LBM at a certain body fat %.

Long story short 180 lbs to 190lbs WW are best for optimum 5'10, bigger 5'9 guys and 5'11 fighters. And all of that stuff explains why there are no dominant forces at BW, FW, LW who are 6ft or taller. At WW the bulk of contenders are 6ft and under. Macdonald is 5'11 and Wonderboy is one of the few 6footers. But let's be real Condit won't be champ he is too weak its just a fact the fights he losses are often the ones he is manhandled in. Dude should lift weights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to see him against stiffer competition. He definitely looked insanely good against cote though. Maybe even the best ive ever sen him

Doesn't matter how close he is. He's not going to take it. Cowboy doesn't win title fights.

i have no idea how this guy ever made 155 , he could fight at 185 , he is in for some rough matches at WW there won't be that size advantage .

Cerrone vs Matt brown is a good indicator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back