Countering the X-Guard

Glen Sonnabend

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Since searching for x-guard bring up every single topic with the word "guard" in it, Ill just create a new topic.

Obviously the best counter to the x-guard is to not get put in it. Once you opponent does secure the x-guard on you, though, what is the best counter or best way to minimize damages?

Try and put all your weight towards his head or just step out of it.
Also don't get in it in the first place

slam into the splits hard and then posture up real fast, bouncing off his guard

/joking

been meaning to try it and see what happens tho

the best thing (IMO) would be to escape away from his grip at his head. Dont let him get to the arms either. This way you have a base on both arms and the leg thats farther away from his head.

This will force him to stand up with your leg on his shoulder (a counter I think). But I figure thats a better position than being in the X-guard.

From here you could try a jumping triangle, because that way atleast you will get down to a more neutral position without loosing points!

Another solution could be to make a roll or something spazzy just to get out and return to the feet, also not giving him any points.

the best thing (IMO) would be to escape away from his grip at his head. Dont let him get to the arms either. This way you have a base on both arms and the leg thats farther away from his head.

This will force him to stand up with your leg on his shoulder (a counter I think). But I figure thats a better position than being in the X-guard.

From here you could try a jumping triangle, because that way atleast you will get down to a more neutral position without loosing points!

Another solution could be to make a roll or something spazzy just to get out and return to the feet, also not giving him any points.

Possibly refrain from giving it then?

I mean if you dont know what your talking about your most likely just going to hurt his jiu jitsu...

Lol I agree, hes pretty much telling him to give him the sweep:

"From here you could try a jumping triangle, because that way atleast you will get down to a more neutral position without loosing points!"

Possibly refrain from giving it then?

I mean if you dont know what your talking about your most likely just going to hurt his jiu jitsu...

Yeah Im not really looking for a theoretical solution. I was more referring to a video or a link to something from a credible instructor.

Yesterday all the blue belts (including me), and my 2 instructors (Serra brown and purple) were looking for counters to it for when your opponent actually secures the X-guard.

The only thing we were able to come up with is to attempt a forward roll before they lock it in tight. In doing so it allows you to go back to a neutral position from either the top or the bottom depending on how it turns out. Still, it's a somewhat unreliable escape and doesn't help if you are actually in someones tight xguard.

Being the nerd of our school it's my homework to come up with a solution.

bro it's x guard, if they have it locked and are underneath you, its already to late,

its like saying you and your instructors were working on defense to the armbar when your opponent has your elbow locked out.

I'd grab under his head and sprawl, hard.

I'd grab under his head and sprawl, hard.

Word. This is the most effective counter I've seen so far. You've got to do it QUICK though or you're getting swept. You really need to sprawl HARD too.

There's an escape that I saw Paulo Guillobel do before. He leans forward and quickly does a handstand (inviting the sweep that direction) and explosively pushes back to standing position (x-guard hooks are removed). I have no idea how to do this but it's something that I've been meaning to find out.

I've never been in anyones x-guard, nor have I practiced mine very much at all (I have been just working on my closed guard and butterfly guard) but after hearing how hard it is to get out I may practice it a lot more.

I've never been in anyones x-guard, nor have I practiced mine very much at all (I have been just working on my closed guard and butterfly guard) but after hearing how hard it is to get out I may practice it a lot more.

Personally, I think that you need to have a basic x-guard game if you play butterfly guard. This is what you do whenever your opponent decides to stand up in your butterfly.

Work x-guard after you have a very great grasp of open/butterfly guard defense. It helps not get passed before transitioning into x-guard.

Also I believe flexibility is definitely helps defend the x-guard, I'm talking about full split each ways.

My best escape is run forward, worst case scenario he holds onto your foot and has a single leg, but most bjj guys suck at singles, so I can usually do a lateral drop from single leg and end up in side control.

Back