Countering The Spider Guard

D

Dominic Kihlstrand

stand up, bring your hips in and your head back, yanking your arms free.

How much gi work do you do Dominic? :p All I see is a 110lb blue belt stuck to you like glue hanging off of you :)

John O'Brien said:
How much gi work do you do Dominic? :p All I see is a 110lb blue belt stuck to you like glue hanging off of you :)

I did gi for two years.

That technique worked for me every time. His feet in your biceps, you bring your hips in and sit on the back of his knees. He cant go anywhere, and his knees are bent, and he's all squashed up. Works for me all the time.

Also picking them up and spinning really fast gets them off too.

I try to have one foot on the hip and one on the arm so I have more control over their body. Good setup for sweeps too.

John O'Brien said:
I try to have one foot on the hip and one on the arm so I have more control over their body. Good setup for sweeps too.

So you don't like my stand up spinning genki sudo escape?

I like to play spider, and I find that the majority of escapes -- like standing up and yanking back your arms -- don't actually work if you play spider right. If one leg is fully extended and the other fully retracted at all times, as they should be, the other guy is so massively off balance that he has no capacity to stand up. You can whip back and forth, unbalancing the guy so hard from side to side that it's impossible to stand. The key is to make sure that one leg is locked out, and the other totally retracted.

Then if the guy tries to sit on your legs, you can spin under him and sweep him for daylight. Tinguinha's instructional gives great examples of how to do this.

The one spider pass I have trouble with defending is the "step on the leg" spider pass.

I put my knee behind theirs.. in the notch of their knee. So they cant follow me.. then just yank away..

Here are some of my favorite ways to counter/pass the spider guard:

1) 80% of the spider guard passes out there involve you collapsing the straight leg. The easiest way to do this is to use your knee on the straightened leg. Collapse the legs and the guy is vulnerable. Here are my favorite passes to do from this situation:

A) Pass the bus: Grip pant legs and turn the guy like a big, heavy steering wheel. Turn the opponent straight into side control.

B) Sit on him pass: Walk up and sit on the guy. Effectively stacking him. Relax and wait for him to try and sweep you by kicking up while releasing his grips. When he does this, spin out one leg (by kicking it backwards) while turning your upper body towards the guy. You should wind up in side control.

C) The great pose pass: From this position. Pick a side (let's say your left). With your left hand, grab his right sleeve. Your right hand grips the lower pant leg of his right leg. Your right forearm should be resting on top of his left leg. When ready, explode up while yanking both arms up and out (spread eagle). This will spin him into position for you to simply put your knee on him, establishing knee on belly position.

D) Flip into turtle pass: Use one hand to grip the back of his pants. Yank up hard and he'll flip in to the turtle. Proceed with attacking the turtle.

2) Also, I love the Duck under pass. This pass consists of you quickly ducking under his straightened leg and leaning backwards HARD. The backwards lean will free your arm from his straightened leg while pinning his legs together. Turn towards him to establish side control.

3) I also like the foot on leg pass: Circle around towards the direction of his bent leg until the leg is on the ground (let's say his bent leg is his left leg, so you're walking towards your right). Place your right foot on top of his bent leg while yanking your right arm away. This will break his grip even if he is properly playing spider guard as he can't adjust his body to compensate for this. Then use your trapped arm (left arm) to grip his straightened leg and pin it against the bent leg on the ground. The details then vary but you basically proceed to establish side control.

There are many more passes but those are my favorites. I hope this helps.

Tinguinha has some spider guard escapes in the current issue of Grappling.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Here are some of my favorite ways to counter/pass the spider guard:

1) 80% of the spider guard passes out there involve you collapsing the straight leg. The easiest way to do this is to use your knee on the straightened leg. Collapse the legs and the guy is vulnerable. Here are my favorite passes to do from this situation:

A) Pass the bus: Grip pant legs and turn the guy like a big, heavy steering wheel. Turn the opponent straight into side control.

B) Sit on him pass: Walk up and sit on the guy. Effectively stacking him. Relax and wait for him to try and sweep you by kicking up while releasing his grips. When he does this, spin out one leg (by kicking it backwards) while turning your upper body towards the guy. You should wind up in side control.

C) The great pose pass: From this position. Pick a side (let's say your left). With your left hand, grab his right sleeve. Your right hand grips the lower pant leg of his right leg. Your right forearm should be resting on top of his left leg. When ready, explode up while yanking both arms up and out (spread eagle). This will spin him into position for you to simply put your knee on him, establishing knee on belly position.

D) Flip into turtle pass: Use one hand to grip the back of his pants. Yank up hard and he'll flip in to the turtle. Proceed with attacking the turtle.

2) Also, I love the Duck under pass. This pass consists of you quickly ducking under his straightened leg and leaning backwards HARD. The backwards lean will free your arm from his straightened leg while pinning his legs together. Turn towards him to establish side control.

3) I also like the foot on leg pass: Circle around towards the direction of his bent leg until the leg is on the ground (let's say his bent leg is his left leg, so you're walking towards your right). Place your right foot on top of his bent leg while yanking your right arm away. This will break his grip even if he is properly playing spider guard as he can't adjust his body to compensate for this. Then use your trapped arm (left arm) to grip his straightened leg and pin it against the bent leg on the ground. The details then vary but you basically proceed to establish side control.

There are many more passes but those are my favorites. I hope this helps.

nice summary of the tinguinha tape with a touch of jacare in the end.

sakufan said:
nice summary of the tinguinha tape with a touch of jacare in the end.

Well he is my instructor! haha... Goes to show you that the tapes are really good...

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, my original post got cleared out. Probably part of the problems that the site was having. Thank you all for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back