Could leben make 170?

check the article on the other post I left, straight from the horses mouth so to speak...considering 205

interesting read, i never would have guessed he was 220 at 5'11.

I would have guessed he was 205-210 TOPS, but you never can tell unless you stand next to someone.

Must have a lead head lol

He definitely couldn't. I love Leben. I'm a big fan. The bottom line is that he's an enigma. He relies way too much on his chin and his power. He comes from an amateur wrestling background and occasionally shows good takedown defense. Other times that takedown defense looks virtually nonexistent. Sometimes his cardio looks decent, other times it's nonexistent. Sometimes he shows a good ground game and other times he doesn't.

I just can't understand him. He doesn't have the skillset to be a title contender, but he does have the skillset and physical attributes to be a more consistent fighter. There's no way he should lose to the Jake Rosholts and Derek Brunsons of the world while beating Wanderlei Silva and Akiyama.

check the article on the other post I left, straight from the horses mouth so to speak...considering 205

it seems people have a problem reading articles.

yeah I'd figure Leben would move up in weight before dropping down. seems like he'd have to cut a lot of muscle if he were to drop to 170

He looks soft?! I want some of that good shit you be smoking

alittle soft, is different than soft.

he was much more ripped in the pic shown earlier than he usually is in the cage, he had a little around the waist he could have shed, and wasn't by far the rippest of the fighters out there.

Not that being ripped wins fights, but if you were looking to drop a weight class, sheddin 5 pounds of fat, makes the cut 5 pounds easier...

Still think he's way to samll for 205, maybe 10 years ago 205 would have been good for him, but the fighters keep getting bigger in all of the weight classes.

we have 55'ers that were once big at 170, guys at 170 that used to be average size for MW and it keeps going.

Was just curious, never can tell how thick someone really is on TV.

I hope to god he doesn't go to LHW. His reach is barely over 70". He was at a big reach disadvantage tonight and he struggled to close it. That would happen in every fight he'd be in at LHW. Not only that, but his iron chin wouldn't fare as well getting hit by the even harder punchers at LHW.

My biggest fear has always been that Leben will end up like Chuck. At some point that iron jaw will just simply quit on him. He's even more reliant on his chin than Chuck was. At least Chuck would occasionally slip a shot. Leben seems beyond disinterested in slipping or blocking a shot. He just eats them with utter disdain. I don't think he could get away with that at LHW.

IMO, both Leben and the UFC need to realize where he is in his career. He's not a title contender, but he is an exciting fighter who has good fights left in him. Smart match making will maximize him. Consistently match him up with other sluggers and fireworks will ensue.

He definitely couldn't. I love Leben. I'm a big fan. The bottom line is that he's an enigma. He relies way too much on his chin and his power. He comes from an amateur wrestling background and occasionally shows good takedown defense. Other times that takedown defense looks virtually nonexistent. Sometimes his cardio looks decent, other times it's nonexistent. Sometimes he shows a good ground game and other times he doesn't.

I just can't understand him. He doesn't have the skillset to be a title contender, but he does have the skillset and physical attributes to be a more consistent fighter. There's no way he should lose to the Jake Rosholts and Derek Brunsons of the world while beating Wanderlei Silva and Akiyama.

He's one of my favorite fighters, always watch his fights but much like you I get frustrated with his hit or miss performances like you mentioned, i noted earlier it seems his grappling has been getting worse over the years, and he's just relying on being able to land one of his big lefts and that's it.

I hope to god he doesn't go to LHW. His reach is barely over 70". He was at a big reach disadvantage tonight and he struggled to close it. That would happen in every fight he'd be in at LHW. Not only that, but his iron chin wouldn't fare as well getting hit by the even harder punchers at LHW.

My biggest fear has always been that Leben will end up like Chuck. At some point that iron jaw will just simply quit on him. He's even more reliant on his chin than Chuck was. At least Chuck would occasionally slip a shot. Leben seems beyond disinterested in slipping or blocking a shot. He just eats them with utter disdain. I don't think he could get away with that at LHW.

IMO, both Leben and the UFC need to realize where he is in his career. He's not a title contender, but he is an exciting fighter who has good fights left in him. Smart match making will maximize him. Consistently match him up with other sluggers and fireworks will ensue.

To bad Lawlers going to 170 now, that would be a fun fight to watch.

The size disparity for 205 will be too much, think about when James Irvin tried to go to 185, he looked like frickin skeletor, he would be up against more guys at that size.

Back