• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Could Gaethje's defense/chin be a problem?

His chin is great, and his defense showed significant improvement after his fights against Dustin/Eddie/MJ. Whoever wins this fight is just straight-up the better striker.

Obviously I could be wrong but I think Chandler will decide to wrestle here though. I don't think he wants to keep exchanging with Justin the whole fight. If they get into a brawl, it'll be Chandler who goes to sleep first.

>whoever wins this fight is just straight-up the better striker
>but I think Chandler will decide to wrestle here

<WhatIsThis>

Its funny cuz I want Justin to win but I wont be shocked one bit if Chandler drops him on the first punch just like he did to Hooker

It's certainly possible Chandler closes the distance and cracks him. It's incredibly unlikely.

In fact Gathje never been flash KOed. He's never been stopped by anything but drawn out wars, and a triangle.

If it's a drawn-out war I think Gathje batters Chandler who's been stopped by lesser punchers than Gathje more than once.

You put too much stock into one fight, Chandler was put away by the now former 145 champ in Bellator, he is a decent puncher but at the same time he eats too many punches, he did from Olivera.

It's certainly possible Chandler closes the distance and cracks him. It's incredibly unlikely.

In fact Gathje never been flash KOed. He's never been stopped by anything but drawn out wars, and a triangle.

If it's a drawn-out war I think Gathje batters Chandler who's been stopped by lesser punchers than Gathje more than once.
The way he went limp for a second in the MJ fight after that nuclear right off the leg kick could very well happen again. And Chandler has more firepower than Johnson I think. But I think gaethje probably takes this

Chandler will win and Sherdog will start the "he was never that good" parade
If Chandler wins, people are definitely going to crap on Gaethje, just like they were doing when he dropped the back to back fights with Poirier and Alvarez

>whoever wins this fight is just straight-up the better striker
>but I think Chandler will decide to wrestle here

<WhatIsThis>
Lol I'm tired, but you know what I meant. If Chandler doesn't wrestle, whoever wins is the better striker offensively. I guess that's pretty obvious when I say it again.
He gets put on wobbly legs every other fight. Chandler hits pretty damn hard.
I mean, Justin had to extend his arm to keep his knee off the canvas after the only truly big shot he ate.
I don't know where people get this idea from that if you get rocked by big shots, it means you have a suspect chin. The fights Gaethje got rocked badly in were absolute wars against powerful top-class strikers, where both guys were getting wobbled.

The shot that Tony dropped him with was a big uppercut he didn't see coming, and he recovered from it instantly. I just don't see how you can say Gaethje has a bad chin. I'm not saying it's titanium, but Gaethje can take shots well. At least much better than Chandler can.

Last edited:
Recently he's been very defensively savy. He recovers well but all those wars he insisted on having definitely didn't help his durability.

I think Chandler is less durable tho

Justin looks like he has a entomology hobby.

Justin is about the 6th best guy in the division. Islam, Chandler, Charles, Dustin, Dariush are all better fighters in my opinion.

Justin is a good fighter but his ground game is absolutely pathetic. Chandler on the other hand is excellent on the ground.

Justin's stand up is fine generally but he looked awful in his last fight. Literally running from Khabib he was so afraid to engage. When we saw his white belt on the ground it was obvious why.

I've seen some people question Chandler's chin going up against possibly the hardest puncher in the division. However, I haven't seen anyone bring up Gaethje's going against a guy who did to Hooker in half a round what Dustin couldn't do in five. Whether it's a result of a weak chin or eating big shots as a consequence of his brawling fight style, nobody can deny that Justin's been hurt in the octagon quite a bit. In eight UFC fights he's been badly wobbled by MJ, knocked out by Eddie, knocked out by Dustin, and nearly dropped by Ferguson.

Justin might want to resist his natural tendency to get in a brawl with Chandler and stick to the leg kicks instead. Dana's adopted Bellator child hits harder than anyone of the guys mentioned above.
gaethje has a great chin and he can definetly eat a few of chandlers shots, if oliveira could gaethje could. chandler is probably going to get leg kicked to death and tkod in like r2 or 3 due to his wide stance and oliveira took him off his feet with 1 lel

MMA calculator

Chin
Justin > Chandler

Cardio
Chandler > Justin

Pace
Chandler > Justin

Strength
Chandler > Justin

Kicks
Justin > Chandler

Punches
Chandler > Justin

Wrestling
Chandler > Justin

Everything else virtually identical

You forgot height, the most important feature of all - at least on Sherdog.

The only way gaethje gets put out is if chandler times a huge punch off gaethjes low kick. I don’t think it will happen because even though chandler is super aggressive and fast, he doesn’t have the timing and length of poirer. Plus gaethje probably learned from that fight.

I think chandler is going to try to mix takedowns off the kick like khabib did and punches off the kick like poirer did. We’ll see if it’s effective

I've seen some people question Chandler's chin going up against possibly the hardest puncher in the division. However, I haven't seen anyone bring up Gaethje's going against a guy who did to Hooker in half a round what Dustin couldn't do in five. Whether it's a result of a weak chin or eating big shots as a consequence of his brawling fight style, nobody can deny that Justin's been hurt in the octagon quite a bit. In eight UFC fights he's been badly wobbled by MJ, knocked out by Eddie, knocked out by Dustin, and nearly dropped by Ferguson.

Justin might want to resist his natural tendency to get in a brawl with Chandler and stick to the leg kicks instead. Dana's adopted Bellator child hits harder than anyone of the guys mentioned above.

Gaethje has been a lot more patient and defensively responsible since the fights you mention. His chin still seems very solid (e.g., that uppercut from Ferguson would wobble and probably drop most LWs).

I don't think his chin (or anybody's for that matter) is enough to withstand getting hit clean to the head by Chandler, but this goes both ways which is what makes this fight super exciting.

MMA calculator

Chin
Justin > Chandler

Cardio
Chandler > Justin

Pace
Chandler > Justin

Strength
Chandler > Justin

Kicks
Justin > Chandler

Punches
Chandler > Justin

Wrestling
Chandler > Justin

Everything else virtually identical

I’d put Justin’s cardio above Chandlers but otherwise great breakdown.

The Justin who fought Khabib and tagged him multiple times will definitely sleep Chandler Mark my words
Well it helps that Khabib has absolutely nothing to threaten with standing to make you afraid of his standup, unlike Chandler who can put you on another planet with 1 punch.

Back