Could a GSP or Silva UFC 200 non-title fight be 5 rounds?

johncola

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Both GSP and Anderson Silva are possibilities for UFC 200, whether that's them fighting each other or not.

My question is, if they fight at that event in a non-title fight, in a fight that ISN'T the main event, is there a way the UFC could still make it 5 rounds?

It wouldn't feel right for either of these fighters to fight in 3-round fights. GSP's last 3-round fight was against Koscheck in 2007. Silva's last 3-round fight was against Forrest Griffin in 2009. Neither of them were at their peak in terms of star power for those fights.

So, is there a way to make it 5 rounds? Does the UFC need to ask for permission from the commission?

GSP vs Silva for main event IMHO would be best.
I honestly believe GSP is clean, and Anderson wasn't...
GSP seems to be less hurt than Silva, and I feel he is the stronger one with neither on PEDs.

Its a winnable fight and would be a win-win for GSP... He, at worst, gets KOd once more by someone in a higher weight class who many consider the GOAT... If he wins he is pretty much undisputed GOAT other than (IMHO) Jon Jones

I have GSP 49-46ing Silva...

GSP vs Silva for main event IMHO would be best.
I honestly believe GSP is clean, and Anderson wasn't...
GSP seems to be less hurt than Silva, and I feel he is the stronger one with neither on PEDs.

Its a winnable fight and would be a win-win for GSP... He, at worst, gets KOd once more by someone in a higher weight class who many consider the GOAT... If he wins he is pretty much undisputed GOAT other than (IMHO) Jon Jones

I have GSP 49-46ing Silva...
No, if he wins he IS the goat. Jones would have to beat JDS, Cain, or Werdum to make a GOAT claim if GSP beat Anderson.

I think Silva was about at his popularity peak during the Griffin fight... that's why he was in it. IT was only a 3 round fight because it was in a different weight class and not a title fight. GSP was not even near his popularity peak, for sure.

I had no interest in this fight then, and I have even less now -- especially if there isn't a championship on the line.

I think Silva was about at his popularity peak during the Griffin fight... that's why he was in it. IT was only a 3 round fight because it was in a different weight class and not a title fight. GSP was not even near his popularity peak, for sure.

I had no interest in this fight then, and I have even less now -- especially if there isn't a championship on the line.
The numbers disagree with you regarding Anderson Silva's popularity. He averaged about 350k buys until UFC 97. The UFC 97 and UFC 101 and UFC 112 buyrates were helped by Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, and BJ Penn. The fights with Sonnen I and Belfort are what helped grow Anderson's star power. Sonnen II and Weidman II are by far the biggest fights he's had, both of which are relatively recent fights among his run of title fights.

Btw, my thread isn't even about a GSP/Silva fight. I'm talking about any non-title GSP fight and/or any non-Silva fight being non-main event fights but still being 5 rounds.

I agree.
I definitely think Dana will try to make this fight and it would be weird if it was a 3 rounder. I think they would make an exception and make it 5 rounds if its the co main.

If they don't do Anderson vs GSP, I can see them doing GSP vs Lawler.

The numbers disagree with you regarding Anderson Silva's popularity. He averaged about 350k buys until UFC 97. The UFC 97 and UFC 101 and UFC 112 buyrates were helped by Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, and BJ Penn. The fights with Sonnen I and Belfort are what helped grow Anderson's star power. Sonnen II and Weidman II are by far the biggest fights he's had, both of which are relatively recent fights among his run of title fights.

Btw, my thread isn't even about a GSP/Silva fight. I'm talking about any non-title GSP fight and/or any non-Silva fight being non-main event fights but still being 5 rounds.

Right-O. I don't know if buys are the be all/end all of "popularity", but it's quantifiable, so I'll go with you on it. It would be strange to see either one of them in a non-title fight (I know that Anderson has already fought once against Nick... it's still strange), but if it's not a main event or title fight, it should be 3 rounds. I can't imagine GSP in a 3 round, non-title fight in the middle of the card, but if that's where the fight is, then that's what it should be. I don't think he'll be in a non-title fight, though, so it's moot.

Back