• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Could a 180 lb man be the best fighter in the world?

Him coming from 160 all the way to become champ at heavyweight is great.

But he won Vs John Ruiz.

No way he was going to beat Lennox.

There is a reason he only fought once and return back to 175lbs

(RJJ is my favorite boxer of all time btw)
Roy weighed under HW for that fight, why would he fight someone he gives 70 lbs to?

Yes

1SdC57A.gif

Because once the 180lb man gets in fight shape and cuts an insane amount of weight he'll be a lightweight.

This is one of the dumber questions I've seen posted on Sherdog, but I think it was meant to be dumb,

1. Royce beat HW's, and he was 170 to 180. He was the champ then, regardless of who you thought could beat him. It only matters who shows up. It was the entire point of promoting BJJ.

2. Being bigger doesn't make you the better fighter. Look at the horrible talent in the HW division as an example.

You guys need to get over this HW fetish. Being the HW champ doesn't make you the best fighter on the planet. It makes you the HW champ. That's all. There's a reason why we have p4p discussions.

I don't know if this HW obsession is a carry over from professional wrestling, or boxing, but neither is MMA, or fighting in general.

No one thinks Stipe is a better fighter than GSP, or Dillishaw. He's clumsy, and unremarkable in terms of skills.

No. Baddest man on the planet (best fighter for all u nerds) is the UFC HW champion. So shut your stupid faces.

Coming from a huge fan of a 135 lb fighter.

Him coming from 160 all the way to become champ at heavyweight is great.

But he won Vs John Ruiz.

No way he was going to beat Lennox.

There is a reason he only fought once and return back to 175lbs

(RJJ is my favorite boxer of all time btw)
I definitely wouldn't pick RJJ to beat him but Lennox was a little vulnerable at times. He could get lazy at times (paid for that), chin not the best and a much smaller man in Holyfield (the draw was a crime, Lennox won 2X) did win some rounds and give him a few issues. Again Lennox wins imo but I wouldn't completely dismiss it either.

I definitely wouldn't pick RJJ to beat him but Lennox was a little vulnerable at times. He could get lazy at times (paid for that), chin not the best and a much smaller man in Holyfield (the draw was a crime, Lennoz won 2X) did win some rounds and give him a few issues. Again Lennox wins imo but I wouldn't completely dismiss it either.
RJJ won the WBA belt.
He could beat most of the Guy of that Time.
Wouldn't Pick him Vs Tyson even in 03'

But Over the Hill Holyfield?
Yeah
Hashim Rahman, dangerous puncher but RJJ again.
Chris Byrd, easy match Up for Roy.

The Klitschko weren't dominant yet.

Others big around 03' were Golota, Grant, Jameel Mcline ?

RJJ was easily a top 5-10 HW.

We have an arbitrary limit on allowing only 206 lb men to prove they're the best. Dan Henderson had to struggle to become 206 lbs so he could prove that he can beat Fedor. And he beat Big Nog.

Why can't a 180 lb man be allowed to prove he's the best?

180 lb man detected! :D

An 180lbs man might get the atomic butt drop vs the big boys.

are you talking about an average 180 lbs man or Dan Henderson?

giphy.gif

What in Gods green earth are you talking about?

Hong Man Choi - Has the mobility and athleticism of a baby elephant.

Bob Sapp - Has been throwing fights since 2008 , wasted his potential.

Rameau - Was never that great , known to of beaten fighters like Arona and Lil Nog by flash ko.
But size and power always wins, according to homeboy.

No but a 150 lb woman can.

#OnceInHumanHistory

But size and power always wins, according to homeboy.

If the person that is bigger is as skillfull as his smaller counterpart , yeah size does win , however size alone doesn't win shit , if that's the case Hong Man Choi would be GOAT in K-1 and MMA.

Technically yes - someone weighing 180 pounds could be the best, but that will likely never be the case. Weight classes exist for a reason and even if you are more skilled (P4P better), your skills will have to be way ahead of someone who has ~80 pounds on you. A fluke win doesn't mean you're the best, of course Hendo could land a knockout blow on Miocic but 99/100 (or maybe even 100/100) Miocic would stomp Hendo easily because he's so much bigger.

Because there are a lot of variables in the word "best" and this is MIXED martial arts

Back