cotton twill vs. ripstop?

kennacon

White Belt
Reaction score
would anyone know the difference between cotton twill and ripstop pants? which is better?

i personally prefer cotton twill it seems more comfy then ristop but ripstop is all the rage now a days

which is more durable?

Ripstop seems more durable, although I prefer cotton for comfort. Also the cotton pants are easier to shrink for a perfect fit. With the ripstop you get minimal shrinkage and if the pants are way to long you will just end up taking them to a tailor

I also prefer a lightweight cotton twill. I just don't care for how ripstop feels when wet, kind of like a windbreaker. Also, as someone else mentioned, there's no shrinking ripstop pants and I had to alter the hem.

i ditto the sentiments above. ripstop dries quickly, but it isn't flexible and doesn't really have any give. cotton twill is just tons more comfortable. the only exception imo is the atama ripstop pants. i don't know what they do, but their ripstops are actually very soft and have a broken-in feel. they're really nice.

Twill cotton is obviously softer and lighter, however over time will start to ball up a bit. Twill cotton pants are used more in light weight cheap Karate uniforms. Seen all oz. in Twill cotton pants and anything below 8oz. I would not suggest for bjj.

Atama Rip stop & every other brand trying to make these pants are 10oz. They are composed of 100% Drill cotton which happens to be more course (stronger but not as comfortable as Twill)

dudes in ripstops... the equivalint to a womens wet tshirt contest.

Cotton twill. Ripstop is a bit of a gimmick IMO, the weakest part of any garment is usually the seams, and ripstop fabric doesn't make a difference if the seam is weak. Ripstop just isn't quite as comfortable.

James

Back