Cote drops to 170 at UFC 158

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Source (French) http://tvasports.ca/combats/amm/cote-change-de-categorie-18122012

For those of you who don't speak French, Cote basically says he's been thinking about dropping to 170 for a year now, and was only going to fight Sakara at 185 to get the rematch out of the way. He says he's been assured by professionals that he can make 170 as long as he changes his diet

Doesn't name his new opponent though

Wow! Can't imagine Cote dropping that much weight.

Hopefully they match him up against Matt Brown

Crazy that he fought Tito back in the day at LHW.

he was flabby at 185. He's kind of hard to judge. But if couldn't shake the fat at that weight it will be interesting to see if he can all of a sudden stick to a strict diet.

It's kind of odd he wants to go there with all the wrestlers. I guess he thinks he can ko some of the lesser competition.

If he can do it then why not, he was a bit flabby at MW.

Cote vs Matt Brown would be nice.

he was flabby at 185. He's kind of hard to judge. But if couldn't shake the fat at that weight it will be interesting to see if he can all of a sudden stick to a strict diet.

It's kind of odd he wants to go there with all the wrestlers. I guess he thinks he can ko some of the lesser competition.

Well he trains with GSP, Rory, and Nate Marquardt so he's probably got a decent idea of how he can do. He definitely has some fat he can drop to make the weight. As long as he can do the diet he should be able to make the weight and I think fighting in front of his hometown is incentive enough to make 170. Interesting to see if he maintains cardio

I really hope Dana does make this a whole WW card, it's on it's way for sure. I could see Cote vs Kampmann, they tend to use the same fighters for the same cities. If not, Cote vs Brown like others have suggested would be a good way to start the main card

Wow! Can't imagine Cote dropping that much weight.

Hopefully they match him up against Matt Brown

Would be way too far apart in rankings in my opinion. Matt Brown is arguably almost in top 10. Cote could fight someone like Robert Whittaker, Swick, Akiyama, Alloway, Baczynski, Matt Riddle, etc.

Sweet! He was like a fire hydrant his past 2 middleweight fights, I think he can have success at 170.

Would be way too far apart in rankings in my opinion. Matt Brown is arguably almost in top 10. Cote could fight someone like Robert Whittaker, Swick, Akiyama, Alloway, Baczynski, Matt Riddle, etc.

Thank you for beating me to the obvious. In what world would Cote who hasn't really won a fight in years deserve Matt Brown who has been on a tear as of late. I agree with the Swick match up. Give Mike someone to boost his confidence and get him back on the winning track.
Cote is only in the UFC because they are catering to the MTL audience...period

Cote had some extra pounds on him so he can make this cut pretty easily.

Cote vs. Amir Sadollah. Make it happen.

Back