Media Costa vs Adesanya might play out like Romero vs Adesanya

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

(Timestamped)

While Paolo Costa wants to bring the fight to Israel RunnerSanya, he made it clear that he won't be reckless, and if Izzy doesn't want to fight, Costa will not chase him or fight with a low IQ just because RunnerSanya won't throw any punches.

For those who are buying Daner White's wolf tickets about UFC 253 being the fight of the year, I remind you that a fight won't take place if one of the two fighters in the octagon doesn't intend to engage in a fight:

giphy.gif

I definitely can forsee Izzy not wanting to taste any of Costa's power and running like he did against Yoel. The play it smart strategy just to keep the belt. Would be nice to see Izzy KTFO Costa if he can

Yah cause Adesanya was the one in that fight who didn’t want to engage...

There's enough evidence to suggest that. His modus operandi relies on his opponents bull rushing him, and him only counter striking.

Yoel gets shit on for fighting Adesanya the way he did, but all of Yoel's fights have otherwise been barn burners. The problem lies with the fighter who relies on his opponents having a low fight IQ, throwing caution to the wind and swinging at him.

There's enough evidence to suggest that. His modus operandi relies on his opponents bull rushing him, and him only counter striking.

Yoel gets shit on for fighting Adesanya the way he did, but all of Yoel's fights have otherwise been barn burners. The problem lies with the fighter who relies on his opponents having a low fight IQ, throwing caution to the wind and swinging at him.

They both played into the reasons that fight turned out to be shit, the bizarre strategy from Romero was the primary factor though. He didn’t make a concerted effort to actually win the fight in his approach, just to nullify the danger of Izzys counter striking while Izzy racked up points for chopping his legs to bits.

Saying Adesanya relies on his opponents having low fight IQ and rushing him doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. The Whittaker and Gastelum fights blow that out of the water without even having to go any further.

The fight could fail to live up to expectations but not primarily because of some nonsense about Adesanya being timid.

i dont think so.

- Costa isnt as reliant on counter punching, hes a pressure fighter.
- Israel has been criticized heavily for running against Romero.

i think they engage.

They both played into the reasons that fight turned out to be shit, the bizarre strategy from Romero was the primary factor though. He didn’t make a concerted effort to actually win the fight in his approach, just to nullify the danger of Izzys counter striking while Izzy racked up points for chopping his legs to bits.

Saying Adesanya relies on his opponents having low fight IQ and rushing him doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. The Whittaker and Gastelum fights blow that out of the water without even having to go any further.

The fight could fail to live up to expectations but not primarily because of some nonsense about Adesanya being timid.

As the amazing Daner White always says "we'll see what happens".

Next fight will be telling if Adesanya's performance vs Romero was one-off, or if he's truly the notorious RunnerSanya.

What I caught from the vid above is that he won't chase blindly like he did with Yoel in the first and second round which made him gassed. In any case, it's going to be a competitive one for about three rounds then Costa gassed but Izzy still playing it safe and racking up points to eek out a decision. Just my take.

Problem is they are both counter strikers, yoel is not a tipical counter striker since he rellies most on explosion over technique, but he's still a counter fighter with some big forward explosions here and there. I had a big felling adesany vs romero would be boring when they announced it

Yah cause Adesanya was the one in that fight who didn’t want to engage...

I don't see Costa doing that either as he must know he can't win a fight liek that, Yoel on the other hand probably felt he could time one big shot and win the fight.

I think Costa/izzy will probably be one guy dominates the other, if its competitive then it will be more Coasta dominatign early and Izzy coming back as he tires.

Costa and Romero are completely different fighters and their approach is different as well. Costa brings a constant pressure, while Romero is a counter-striker, who lures you in and then explodes. Costa's entire style is to walk you down, he has to otherwise he won't reach you, literally. Romero explodes with an overhand right, uppercut, or a flying knee from a distance.

Also, I actually think this will be a war. Both guys got solid chins, both guys can take a lot of damage as we have already seen in previous bouts. Both are supremely confident. This truly has the fight of the year written all over it and I do get the feels that it will deliver.

(Timestamped)

While Paolo Costa wants to bring the fight to Israel RunnerSanya, he made it clear that he won't be reckless, and if Izzy doesn't want to fight, Costa will not chase him or fight with a low IQ just because RunnerSanya won't throw any punches.

For those who are buying Daner White's wolf tickets about UFC 253 being the fight of the year, I remind you that a fight won't take place if one of the two fighters in the octagon doesn't intend to engage in a fight:

giphy.gif

Costa is more active than Romero, and is better at cutting off the cage

Yeah, because we all know what fighters say in interviews is exactly what they do in the fight, right?

Might as well give Adesanya his entire gameplan while he's at it.

I definitely can forsee Izzy not wanting to taste any of Costa's power and running like he did against Yoel. The play it smart strategy just to keep the belt. Would be nice to see Izzy KTFO Costa if he can
It’s awkward bc you can’t blame a guy for game planning. But holy shit is is frustrating to see with such length and defense and quickness use it so effectively lol

I have been thinking similar. Paulo isnt an idiot he wont just randomly charge in. Think he will start off very slow and gradually pick up his output as he works his way. Think Israel is expecting a wild charging bull but it will be alot more like Yoel fight as you say.

Israel will be very very defensive and measured he knows that Costa can threaten him with power. Israels game will be him trying to find the perfect counters and dragging the fight to the later rounds. Israel will put on the gas and be more offensive in later rounds when Costa slows down. I think Paulo will surprise people when he lasts all 5 rounds though. Even in later rounds I think he will keep causing problems for Adensaya. Costas striking output is the best in the division by far. I think Costa has good chances to get a finish os a decision. He is ready.

Stylebender will stick and move the whole fight once he feels Costa's power.

He's not gonna risk loosing the title after signing the Puma deal and cashing in as a champ.

I fully expect him to run, even more, then the Romero fight.

Back