• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Costa afraid to engage Izzy, but not Romero?

Romero hits hard but he isnt a sniper like Izzy is.

Costa was shooked with what was going to come back at him if he opened up

Yet Izzy avoided Romero like the plague in their fight, barely got by little Gastelum, but went through Costa like a hot knife through butter.

Wow, MMA is weird and matchups really make fights.

If someone told me a year ago that Adesanya would fight both Romero and Costa, and both fights would be disappointing and forgetable I'd say they're nuts.
Romero was the one who refused to engage, and he's also notoriously durable, to the point that other pro fighters talk about hurting themselves hitting him, so leg kicks and jabs weren't going to cut it. Combine that with the wrestling threat.

"Little" gastelum is one of the best technical strikers in the division, and much more skilled at closing distance that costa who just walks them down. He just is in the wrong weight class. Personally, I think he would beat Costa.

Izzy had every single advantage in this fight. More skilled, longer reach, faster, more accurate, more experienced, and more power. The only advantage you could possibly give Costa was durability, but that doesn't matter when you're a human sandbag. Barring the devil's own luck, i knew this was gonna be a slaughter.

Costa is just a pressure fighter. He is not explosive. He offers no threat while his opponent is moving. Romero stands with his hands up and gives his opponent a target.

But he did get in close about 1.5-2.5 times during the fight, he just didn't pull the trigger really and unload on Izzy. He was content to let him circle away and try and catch him with a kick to the body and once tried for the head.

There was on instance where he could have tried to unload punches but didn't and Izzy was like flailing his hands.

It was an awful gameplan and Costa got caught in the headlights, wouldn't pull the trigger. His lead leg becoming raw meat and less+less mobile over time did nothing but exacerbate that issue. Terrible fight from him.

Yeah for sure. I think once he realised he wouldn't catch Izzy with that round kick circling away, he had no other gampeplan.

I thought he should even shoot for TD, at least get Izzy thinking about it.

But no, just kept plodding after Izzy eating leg kicks and slowly getting picked apart. Low fight IQ.

I don't really know who beats Izzy, has to be someone with experience, maybe Till? Who knows

Back