Corrales-JM Marquez @ 130

I would have loved to see Corrales/Juan Diaz.

He might have.. Corrales got pushed to the limit by much lesser fighters on several occasions. It would have been interesting to see if JMM could handle the much bigger mans power, but if his chin held up, I would say he would be the favorite.

I give JMM a fair chance. But if he gets caught like has has against the other elites (pacquiao, barrera), he won't get up.

He might have.. Corrales got pushed to the limit by much lesser fighters on several occasions. It would have been interesting to see if JMM could handle the much bigger mans power, but if his chin held up, I would say he would be the favorite.

Who was "much lesser" that pushed Corrales to the limit?

Did you see the Juko fight? Gary St. Clair held his own against Diego as well.

You said pushed to the "limit" not held their own. And Justin Jukko was once very, VERY highly regarded. I certainly wouldn't call him "much lesser." And aside from "held his own", that's one guy.

You said pushed to the "limit" not held their own. And Justin Jukko was once very, VERY highly regarded. I certainly wouldn't call him "much lesser." And aside from "held his own", that's one guy.

Jukko always seemed robotic to me...until he was matched with Diego. Granted, Diego could have probably made his career a lot easier on him self by using his range like he did in the second Casa fight, but being that he couldnt turn down a brawling moment, I think he was exploitable.

I agree that was Diego's one major flaw, but your earlier comment made it seem like he struggled on numerous occasions in life-or-death matches with Journeymen or something. That's just not true.

Well he had rough spots in a lot of fights but his power pulled him out. Derrick Gainer was working him over before his power pulled him out. Thats why I said I think JMM would have had a good shot if his chin held up.

I agree also that JMM would have a decent shot, but leave us remember the thing that defined Corrales most at 130, what you just said, his power. His whole career was built around his ability to put people to sleep at that weight, and Juan doesn't show the classic imperviousness to pain that many of his Countrymen did. Hell even Castillo's eyes were rolled to the back of his skull, and he was a fuckin' tank at the time, and it was 5lbs north.

JMM would get in some rounds, but ultimately I think get a little overconfident, step into firing range, and get hurt...bad.

one thing you can say about the old JMM vs the new JMM...the guy still takes clean shots.

Not a good thing when Chico was in the other corner.

Corrales TKO 11th.

As good of a technician as Marquez is, every fight I see him in he still gets hit with some good shots. Diego had incredible power at 130, I think he Ko's Marquez.

Back