• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Coronavirus, v5: China hits back at American "coronavirus overreaction", issue travel warning for US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people using HIV and Ebola drugs as blueprints?

Did you know the common cold is a Coronavirus?

Did you know that In N Out has shitty fries but a good burger?

The virus is structures is similar to HIV, plus there is no vaccine yet, they want to try anything that may work by pure chance or give them insight into what vaccines may be effective for it so that new ones can be made for a much cheaper costs.

Battle against coronavirus turns to Italy; Wall Street falls on pandemic fears
By Gabriel Crossley, Hyonhee Shin

The coronavirus death toll climbed to seven in Italy on Monday and several Middle East countries were dealing with their first infections, sending markets into a tailspin over fears of a global pandemic even as China eased curbs with no new cases reported in Beijing and other cities.

While health experts have expected limited outbreaks beyond China, the rapid acceleration of cases in Italy going from three on Friday to 220 on Monday is concerning, the World Health Organization (WHO) said in a statement.

Just as China put cities on lockdown, Italian authorities sealed off the worst-affected towns, closed schools and halted the carnival in Venice, where there were two cases.

Shops are shut, bars are closed and people speak to each other from a safe distance in northern Italy.

Markets are nervous that Europe could experience disruptions similar to China, where air traffic has been disrupted and global supply chains rattled for everything from medicine to cars to smartphones.

The surge of cases outside mainland China triggered sharp falls in global markets as investors fled to safe havens. European equities markets suffered their biggest slump since mid-2016, gold soared to a seven-year high and oil tumbled 4%.

The Dow Jones Industrials and S&P 500 posted their biggest one-day percentage drops in over two years and Nasdaq had one of its worst days since December 2018. All three indexes closed down more than 3% after notching record highs last week on optimism the coronavirus would not seriously hurt global economies.

Wall Street’s fear gauge, the CBOE Volatility Index , jumped to a one-year high.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the word “pandemic” did yet not fit the facts.

“We must focus on containment while preparing for a potential pandemic,” he told reporters in Geneva, adding that the world was not witnessing an uncontained spread or large-scale deaths.

The epidemic in China peaked between Jan. 23 and Feb. 2 and has been declining since, the WHO said.

Dr. Mike Ryan, head of WHO’s emergencies program, told reporters it was still possible to contain the virus and that it might appear each year like the flu.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-street-falls-on-pandemic-fears-idUSKCN20I02V

Last edited:
Photos show what Italy is like under lockdown as the country becomes Europe's epicenter of the coronavirus with more than 200 cases reported in 3 days

Italy is now the European epicenter for the novel coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China.

It was a dramatic weekend for coronavirus cases in Italy. On Friday morning, there were only three confirmed cases. By Monday, more than 215 had been confirmed and a sixth person had died. According to The Washington Post, cases of the coronavirus are rising, nearly every hour.

Authorities still don't know where the coronavirus originated in Italy, which makes it hard to track and stop the outbreak.

Authorities put 12 towns on lockdown and closed some of the country's most famous attractions to curb the virus' spread. Wary citizens are stockpiling food.

Here's how Italy is dealing with the coronavirus, in photos.

5e53ddfdfee23d62b6722246

A sign advising clients in various languages, including Chinese, that respiratory masks are sold out at a pharmacy in downtown Rome

5e53f571fee23d027a1ec972

Tourists in the Colosseum area on February 6 in Rome.

5e53eb86fee23d7a16172ba3

Italian soldiers at a checkpoint at the entrance of a town in the red zone of the COVID-19 outbreak

5e53df6afee23d6a62687683

An empty street in Milan on February 24

In Venice, where two cases have been confirmed, authorities suspended the final two days of the famous Venice Carnival.

5e5402affee23d1a57639682

It's a much-loved occasion, and some people still participated with traditional outfits.

5e53e013fee23d6b1f1b4635

For a while, people in Venice were sporting two very different types of masks — one for the carnival and one for the virus ...

5e53e057fee23d6c9b38fc4e

... or a combination of the two.

5e540308fee23d1acc08ceb2

And people, fearing that there could be worse to come, are cleaning out supermarkets.

5e53e17ffee23d6de3127adc

Empty shelves in a supermarket in Rozzano, near Milan, on Sunday.

5e5403cefee23d1c2c063e43

On Monday, as numbers continued to rise, officials still weren't sure how the virus entered Italy.

5e53e25cfee23d6e7e564f99

For now, Italy is trying to stop the virus from spreading. Its own all clear could be weeks away, if not longer.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ita...ll-clear-could-be-weeks-away-if-not-longer-24

I would guess that these same conditions mean that people in India have really strong immune systems.

Viruses do better in colder climates. Also I suspect that India's detection ability is poor.

So I stocked up today. Bought a shit ton of nonperishable food. Ordered some water purification tablets. Couldn't get any masks. Gonna try again tomorrow for that.

I felt like a jackass doing all this, and I hope it was not necessary, but better safe than sorry. The only reason my wife isn't laughing at me for being a crazy prepper is because she says every time she does laugh at me for being paranoid, my fears come true.

So its finally affecting my family in daegu.

My relatives are keeping me posted..

Something to talk about with your friends and family back in Daegu in the next facetime session @LogicalInsanity :confused:

Senior health official leading Daegu's battle against COVID-19 admits he's a member of the "New Heaven and Earth" doomsday cult, after testing positive
By Rhea Mahbubani | Feb 24, 2020

A senior health official in Daegu — the city that lies at the center of South Korea's coronavirus outbreak — confessed to being a follower of a controversial doomsday church cult after testing positive for the virus.

The unnamed official leads the Infection Preventive Medicine Department in the city that is home to 681 of the 833 COVID-19 cases in the country, the South China Morning Post reported. Over 450 of those Daegu residents have been found to be members of the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony, a fringe religious sect that belongs to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus.

Authorities worry that the toll in Daegu is likely to increase because the official, who is in charge of the local battle against the deadly illness, only came forward and admitted that he belonged to Shincheonji after he was already sick. This delay forced officials to quarantine 50 more health officials in their homes as a precaution, the Post said.

And he is not alone.

A Daegu police officer and a teacher at an elementary school near the city revealed themselves as believers after being diagnosed with coronavirus, according to the Post.

Shincheonji Church of Jesus was established in 1984 by Lee Man-hee and counts nearly 250,000 South Koreans among its ranks. Claiming to be the second coming of Jesus Christ, Lee touts the ability to take 144,000 people to heaven with him on Judgment Day, the Guardian said.

Korean officials say the cult played a key role in spreading the virus

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention believes a 61-year-old woman, who tested positive for the coronavirus, triggered a "super-spreader" event at the "same Korean cult." She was the country's 31st patient. Officials say she didn't get tested for COVID-19 since she mistook her symptoms for the common cold as she hadn't left South Korea recently and believed she couldn't have contracted the virus.

Officials ordered nearly 1,000 churchgoers who came in contact with the woman at prayer services to isolate themselves at home. Since then the city government also shut down the Temple's 163 facilities in Daegu and Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon criticized Shincheonji for "playing a key role" in spreading the illness, according to the Post.

Church leaders are working with authorities and have shared a list of 9,600 believers in Daegu. That entire group has been quarantined in their homes, irrespective of whether they're presenting COVID-19 symptoms. All its members across South Korea have been asked to stay home and the addresses of some 1,100 facilities have also been provided to officials, the Post said.

For its part, the Temple issued a statement asking critics to stop hurling "hatred and groundless accusations at them," since its members, like others who have been sickened, were "victims of the disease which originated in China and was transmitted to this country."

But people say that the information provided by Shincheonji doesn't include its "bible study rooms" and "undercover churches," where people sit so closely packed together that they can rub shoulders with one another while praying.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said the emergence of so many coronavirus cases centered on the church had led to a "completely new situation" in the nation's fight to control the spread of the disease, the Post reported.

South Korea didn't enforce strict travel restrictions in the early stages of the epidemic

Officials have faced backlash for not enforcing more stringent restrictions and only stopping travelers from Hubei province in China from entering South Korea. This could have enabled people who picked up the infection elsewhere to enter the country without any hassle.

"It is like claiming that the gatekeeping is being done well without knowing that your back door is still left open," Dr. Lee Hoanjong, a professor at Seoul National University Children's Hospital, told the Post.

"Medical staff and health infrastructure in Daegu are now being stretched to a breaking point. If we have another Daegu in this country, I can't imagine what would happen."
https://www.businessinsider.com/sou...itive-coronavirus-doomsday-church-cult-2020-2

Last edited:
Wait I just read on Bloomberg news that WHO is praising China for blunting the spread of COVID-19. China controlled the spread through imposing land, air and sea travel restrictions on its citizens, something the WHO advised against for the past three weeks. So they're praising actions that they're preaching against?

WHO needs to keep its story straight.

Wait I just read on Bloomberg news that WHO is praising China for blunting the spread of COVID-19. China controlled the spread through imposing land, air and sea travel restrictions on its citizens, something the WHO advised against for the past three weeks. So they're praising actions that they're preaching against?

WHO is under China's thumb, they have contradicted themselves and conceded to their actions. Also they are only willing to divulge the bottom end data of the virus destruction. They are bending rules for sure. How is Vancouver, will there be an outbreak there in a few weeks as well?

Honestly every country that is poor and can't afford to deal with this crisis should sue and demand funds trim China.

WHO and others need to be allowed to criticize China. Otherwise they lose credibility. China has done almost nothing right. The quarantine is heavy handed and ham fisted on top of being far too late

WHO and others need to be allowed to criticize China. Otherwise they lose credibility. China has done almost nothing right. The quarantine is heavy handed and ham fisted on top of being far too late
Last thing WHO needs is a confrontation with China. It has no direct authority to take over or issue command to health authorities around the globe. It's a coordinating body rather than a command organization. It has to solicit cooperation from host countries in order to function. If China stops playing along, then WHO would be rendered completely useless in its role trying to fight this pandemic. They most certainly know China squandered the initial opportunity to contain this outbreak at the start, but it must stay on the good side in order to encourage good behaviour. That's not limited to China, but all of its members.

This is actually a greater article on why WHO is taking a soft approach:

"In some ways the SARS outbreak taught the WHO that you have to have the country that is most affected — the epicentre of the outbreak — on its side. It can't risk alienating the Chinese," says Lee. "I'm sure they know that they're not getting full co-operation, but they're still trying to encourage that."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/china-coronavirus-cover-up-claims-1.5471946

WHO is under China's thumb, they have contradicted themselves and conceded to their actions. Also they are only willing to divulge the bottom end data of the virus destruction. They are bending rules for sure. How is Vancouver, will there be an outbreak there in a few weeks as well?
I don't expect a massive outbreak in Vancouver due to local people already have heightened caution. I stocked up on canned food, first aid supplies, multi-vitamins, bottled water and batteries just in case yesterday. Panic buying will be causing problems if a dozen cases suddenly popped up overnight.

Last edited:
Theres a photo of a letter of health minister of iran sayig that they have 9000 infected and 450 dead and have no facilities floating on twitter

Not confirmed though and photo might be fake

The U.S is losing faith in Korea's ability to contain the outbreak, travel warning level bumped up to 3.

Also saw in a newflash that the list of names and addresses that the cult leaders gave to Daegu's authority "doesn't match the city records". It's gonna be a long while until they can find the thousands of cult members in hiding.

This is just about the weirdest thing yet. Crazy ass cult with tentacles worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back