Cormier's pace was impressive.

ShreddinMMA

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
It wasn't a Cain Velasquez pace, but he constantly was beating Hendo up or improving position. Always moving.

I think this is a factor people aren't considering in other potential matchups for him. Especially for how big and strong he is at the weight as well.

Cormier is going to break as many people as he is going to outclass. Frankly, I think he is a stylistic nightmare for just about anyone in the division, but especially guys like Rashad or Davis who don't exactly have fancy standup games to trouble him with and will be forced to engage his wrestling chops.

I'd love to see him against Rumble but I reckon that fight would be a ways off at this point.

yea he exhausted the hell out of dan, not just bc he was 'heavy' as dan said but he just wouldnt stop pushing forward - his wrestling especially, he was constantly switching positions and landing hard shots - dan looked completely broken at the end of the second round, was ridiculous

His name is Cormi-Bear ... get it right

Seriously though, if Dan wasn't so good at defending while on the ground that would have been REALLY ugly

That first takedown Cormier hit was beautiful

Keep that pace with Cain's cardio and his skill, all are slammable. :icon_lol: Keep working that cardio for 5 rounds when a title shot appears be ready and it could all be yours including buckets of chicken.

His name is Cormi-Bear ... get it right

Seriously though, if Dan wasn't so good at defending while on the ground that would have been REALLY ugly

It also helps that Hendo is about as tough as they come. Man's got a steel will. I don't think many fighters are mentally tough enough to just keep fighting like Dan did.

I wish I could believe it but we might just have seen what happens to athletes that go off TRT. Belfort might have something similar coming to him in the future

call me crazy, too me it looked like Daniel was actually holding back with the ground and pound bc he admires Hendo so much.

He had plenty of moments where he could have just pounded away hitting side/back of the head and gotten a stoppage. Instead he threw small rabbit punches, body shot here and there, back to small arm punches.

Looked like he didn't want to hurt Dan too much.

different story when they are both standing up ofcourse, you can't hold back in the same way there.

call me crazy, too me it looked like Daniel was actually holding back with the ground and pound bc he admires Hendo so much.

I don't know about the admiration as much, but yea, it looked like he didn't really want to put a brutal beating on hendo with gnp.

He had plenty of moments where he could have just pounded away hitting side/back of the head and gotten a stoppage. Instead he threw small rabbit punches, body shot here and there, back to small arm punches.

Looked like he didn't want to hurt Dan too much.

different story when they are both standing up ofcourse, you can't hold back in the same way there.

I think it was more a combination of wanting to send a message (that he could not just quickly beat, but rather dominate) and not wanting to break his hand before his big title fight.

Either way ... yeah, very impressive pace. And training with Cardio Cain, his gas tank is only going to get bigger and bigger, especially having shed (most of) the extra flub. He still doesn't look shredded, which is the scary part. Could probably still trim some more body fat without losing muscle.

DC comin' for that belt.

I wish I could believe it but we might just have seen what happens to athletes that go off TRT. Belfort might have something similar coming to him in the future

Not to discredit DC
but it's hard to not consider that this was the first fight after the TRT ban for Hendo

I think it was more a combination of wanting to send a message (that he could not just quickly beat, but rather dominate) and not wanting to break his hand before his big title fight.

Either way ... yeah, very impressive pace. And training with Cardio Cain, his gas tank is only going to get bigger and bigger, especially having shed (most of) the extra flub. He still doesn't look shredded, which is the scary part. Could probably still trim some more body fat without losing muscle.

DC comin' for that belt.

yeah those could also be the explenation. He looks like a beast thats for sure!

Its didn't look bad but it didn't impress me.

He was all over Hendo the whole fight, if he gassed out during that fight his stock would plummet but he worked his way through as he should have done.

He seemed to slow down a bit during the later rounds...especially on the ground. Great fight though, don't think it had anything to do with TRT because Hendo looked like Hendo haha

Not incredibly hard to keep that pace when you're in top position the whole time.

Hendo wasn't on TRT in the Rashad fight either. Look how vastly different that fight went.

Going to be alot harder when the other guy is actually doing something and hitting him back. (Jones)

What the hell are you talking about? His pace was slow as shit. He could have finished that fight anytime he wanted to but he chose not to put in the little effort he needed to until the very end.

You can't even say he had a GSP performance. GSP attacks and improves his position more in one round than Cormier did all fight but when GSP does it he gets criticized and Cormier gets praised. Sherdog logic

What the hell are you talking about? His pace was slow as shit. He could have finished that fight anytime he wanted to but he chose not to put in the little effort he needed to until the very end.

You can't even say he had a GSP performance. GSP attacks and improves his position more in one round than Cormier did all fight but when GSP does it he gets criticized and Cormier gets praised. Sherdog logic

Lol what?

What does when he finished the fight have to do anything with pace? Criticize him for not finishing within your ideal time frame (which is ridiculous), but that has nothing to do with the pace set.

And he did literally everything he wanted to do. He outstruck Hendo, he slammed Hendo numerous times, he tripped him on other occasions, passed Hendo's guard over and over, etc. Hendo couldn't move.

I mean fuck. The dude thrashes Hendo, ragdolls him the entire fight with ease, and has Hendo gassed beyond belief, and you say his pace was slow as shit? Fuck.

EDIT: Jones could have finished Vitor whenever he wanted to. Lets call his pace in that fight shit!

Back