Cormier could have retired after beating Stipe and been the HW GOAT

Cormier could have retired after beating Stipe and been the HW GOAT

Or make another millions for next fights and retire happy and wealthy. Fuck the GOAT status, it is irrelevant if you have an "L" on the record.

DC basically admitted to this. He said he should have retired after his KO win. The good side is, he made a lot more money! What this short, chubby little fighter accomplished in MMA history will never be diminished in my eyes. Fedor is till idolized and he has lost a lot more to lesser opponents. I rarely rooted for DC, but what he did in his career is really amazing for a guy of his physical stature.

Fedor didn't fight in the UFC. By that logic Michael Venom Page is a hall of famer
No that's not the logic. Fedor fought legit fighters who were arguably better than the fighters at HW in the UFC at the time. Page pretty much only fights outmatched opponents and got KOd the first time he fought a top dog in Bellator.

He had everything to lose, nothing to gain by taking the rematch. His legacy status got instead pushed down a nod.

Just because crybaby Stipe wanted it doesn't mean Cormier has to give it

I call it the dumbest decision in UFC history

LoL at TS hyping DC while calling Stipe "crybaby"
Only one guy I recall blubbering.
<DCrying>

I believe it was Dana who brought him back and tainted his legacy for a few paydays

What does it say about HW, when defending the title twice puts you in discussion as the GOAT?

What does it say about HW, when defending the title twice puts you in discussion as the GOAT?
DC only successfully defended once, and he isn’t in the GOAT discussion. DC won 2 title fights in the UFC HW division. Stipe won 6 including 2 against DC.

It’s a ridiculous thread from a fanboi.

He had everything to lose, nothing to gain by taking the rematch. His legacy status got instead pushed down a nod.

Just because crybaby Stipe wanted it doesn't mean Cormier has to give it

I call it the dumbest decision in UFC history

Problem was that DC was so lustful for the promised Lesnar fight bonanza that he blew right past his long-sworn retirement date in order to chase it. When that finally proved a no-go, it would have looked mighty funny and anticlimatic to retire just then—almost as if defeated by a guy who had never even shown up!

So he turned back to what he said shortly after the first fight with Stipe — that he'd give him the rematch if anything happened to the Lesnar fight — and said he was going to honor it. It wasn't giving in to a "crybabay" Stipe's demands, it was a long-established Plan B of his own design. Obviously he thought he'd win it and be able to lay down his gloves in the Octagon in dramatic fashion. But that's the risk when you chase after a "perfect" ending like Cormier did...only in hindsight you realize you already had one, and fucked it up.

Back