Cordyceps and endurance.

DesertStomper**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Didn't find anything on this in the faq and very little of it via search.

So what are you guys thoughts on this stuff? My current google searches seem to indicate most people are very happy with it and find pretty significant results. Which makes me wonder why it's hardly talked about here.

These are the benefits it claims

Increase Cellular Energy*
Increase Oxygen Utilization*
Increase ATP*
Enhance Endurance*
Increase VO2 Max*
Increase Strength*
Increase Testosterone*
Enhance Aerobic Recovery*
Supports a Healthy Immune Function*

Also, any grapplers use this that would like to share their experience?

Don't bother with it. It's never been demonstrated to do anything. Stick to creatine.

People eat that shit? Cordyceps is one of the scariest parasites going which says a lot considering it is just a fungus. After coursing through their ichor, Cordyceps hijacks the brain of insects before it kills them. I wouldn't touch it knowing it will probably mutate and set off the zombie apocalypse. It better be doubling your 1rm's in a day to be worth turning into a caterpillar zombie.

Cordyceps.jpg

glCjL.jpg

Cordyceps_amazonica_9307TJB.jpg

f that, don't be trying to eat me when you become a fungus zombie.

Don't bother with it. It's never been demonstrated to do anything. Stick to creatine.

Has there been many studies on it?

I agree the lack of evidence sucks, but there do seem to be a lot of people posting online that it works. Most threads I checked out via google had lots of people singing its praises.

Also from my understanding this supplement is supposed to increase cardiovascular endurance, while creatine doesn't. Other than an increase in ATP they don't seem all that similar.

Lol at what Ocean Size posted. Seems gross.

As far as I know, there are no studies on it. Why would you want to take something that is unproven simply because some bros on the internet say it's great? I remember in 2005 when everyone on bb.com went around saying that glutamine was the new creatine. Turned out to be worthless from a performance standpoint.

I can tell you with absolute certainty, however, that there are very few things that you can take to improve your cardiac performance, and one is blood doping. You're better off working your grappling conditioning by doing conditioning work. The strength and conditioning subforum has a wonderful conditioning FAQ if you're interested. As far as my creatine comment goes, it allows you to have more endurance in the anaerobic system, which is used frequently in the 2-3 minute rounds common in grappling training.

I agree the lack of evidence sucks, but there do seem to be a lot of people posting online that it works. Most threads I checked out via google had lots of people singing its praises.

Yeah but people have been singing the praises of a vast array of substances for decades, many of which turned out to be pretty much useless.

Dunno if you're old enough to remember when stuff like Vanadyl Sulphate was definitely producing excellent results for thousands of people. Nowadays you rarely even hear about it.

I'd look into Siberian Ginseng and Rhiodola root,

out of all the endurance boosters ive looked into, those show the biggest promise. I tried them but never kept a log or dosage and had been taking quite a few other herbs, i tried them for a test boost but didn't notice anything noticeable after about 2 weeks, so i have no real idea if it worked or not for my endurance b/c i was taking so many other things

Cordyceps is traditionally used to strengthen the lungs and the reproductive system.

Even in Traditional Chinese Medicine, it is not considered to be a top herb for cardiovascular stamina unless your stamina is limited by lung pathology.

Most of the positive research is on things like increased testicular weight of aging male rats :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22872590

Improved lung function and reduced inflammation in chronic respiratory disorders:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22796203

And protective effects against various types of abnormal cell growth and ischemia / reperfusion:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23184050

Many of the herbs you see heavily associated with cardiovascular endurance are often those associated with strengthening and building blood (basically legal herbal blood doping). Of these some of the more popular ones are he shou wu and deer antler. I've seen several studies indicating mice and rats treated with he shou wu on a regular basis performed much better on endurance tests, one of the standard ones while somewhat cruel involves having the rodents swim with weights until they become exhausted and pass out / drown.

I am a big fan of cordyceps. You feel like a beast while on it. Sprinting power and grappling endurance thru the roof bro. Reccomend a product called cordygen 5. You wont be disapointed. Also the rhiodiola vashgun mentions is awesome as well and is good for anxiety

Back