Cooked/Uncooked oatmeal in protein shake?

You guys are splitting hairs on a lot of things.

How do steel cut oats fit into this. For the shake, it seems that the rolled oats would work better.
and I actually have both too. I think Coaches Oats from Costco is steel pressed. may have to double check but for the most part I use just the rolled.

Since the first time I made the shake I have never cooked the oats. It's when i made it for someone else they were almost dead convinnced the oats need to be cooked.

Personally I don't think it makes the shake any less tasting that it is.

thanks guys!

I don't even know what cooked oatmeal tastes like. Since a kid, i've consumed oatmeal raw.

i always put oats in my protein/smoothy raw. I cant imagen cooking them would make it more drinkable.

I do uncooked oats as well. However, I run them through a coffee grinder first. This makes them much more "blendable".

I just use raw oats in my drink.

I have never bothered to cook them.

I put the oats in first (right out of the container - Quaker Old Fashioned) and run the blender untill they're powder. Then just add other ingredients and blend; comes out thick and smooth.

Bumping this since BJ did the same thing in the Primetime thing.

Ok I just tried the raw oatmeal and its pretty good.

I'll share what I put together.

1/2 cup raw rolled oats
10 fresh strawberries
6 oz. plain nonfat yogurt
6 oz. skim milk ( I like Skim Plus brand)
Splash orange juice
1 tablespoon honey

Put the oats in first and chop for like 30 sec.
Put rest of ingredients in and blend for another 30-60 sec

I liked it. Enjoy.

Why the honey?

Just for flavour or what?

The Owner of a gym I was at who trians bodybuilders and fitness competitors saw me mixing up some raw oats and told me that they had to be cooked and thick for my body to recongnize it as a carb. Otherwise it was just recognizing it as calories. he said even if you cook it and its soupie that your body wont recognize it as a carb.... It didnt make much sense to me either so don't flame me, im just repeating. Im still doing raw oats, 2 to 3 times a day

I do uncooked oats as well. However, I run them through a coffee grinder first. This makes them much more "blendable".

I'll have to try that I hate when they don't mix well.

it tastes awesome when you don't cook them

it adds a real nutty flavor to the shake

awesome

you have to drink it quick or keep mixing it with a spoon as you drink it because the oats fall to the bottom

The Owner of a gym I was at who trians bodybuilders and fitness competitors saw me mixing up some raw oats and told me that they had to be cooked and thick for my body to recongnize it as a carb. Otherwise it was just recognizing it as calories. he said even if you cook it and its soupie that your body wont recognize it as a carb.... It didnt make much sense to me either so don't flame me, im just repeating. Im still doing raw oats, 2 to 3 times a day

That man is an idiot.

I use to cook the oats but now I just put it raw in my protein drink

Raw all the way here too in the shake. I do enjoy them cooked as well though with a sliced banana and strawberries on top.

I get my oats real thick and chewy so my body thinks it's a protein.

I have been putting the oats in raw as well. I will have to try blending them first, or maybe the coffee grinder trick. Thanks for the tips. I have found adding oats to my protein shakes to be the only way that I feel satisfied after drinking one. Otherwise I have a hard time making it till lunch. It definitely adds substance to the shake.

Back