considering anderson silva's run at mw

No, because if these guys don't pick up some good wins against each other first then you and the rest of the Anderson hate squad will just call them cans once Silva destroys them.

No, because if these guys don't pick up some good wins against each other first then you and the rest of the Anderson hate squad will just call them cans once Silva destroys them.

i'm sure anderson and his camp really give a sh't what shertards say. as long as he's getting paid the way he usually gets paid, i can't see how much of a difference it really makes.

the only reason it seems like he wasn't interested in fighting weidman is because that's a more dangerous fight for him than most of the other top mw's could potentially be.

i know you don't like the guy, but there aren't really a ton new contenders at ww. right now i'd say there's hendricks, and the other guys are too green.

There aren't really a ton of new contenders? no shit, because guys like kampmann, ellenberger, and hendricks have pretty much wiped out everybody in the division. He really should be writing all of them 'thank you' letters for doing his job for him.

Silva is already the best MW of all time. If his career was over in his next fight would you rather see Boetsch up there or Weidman/Lombard. God forbid them putting Bisping in the ring. The purpose of waiting and having the contenders knock each other off the radar makes it harder for people to call the #1 contender a joke fight. When Silva wins and generally does so with easy, people spout off at the mouth of how the contender never deserved the shot.

That argument is harder to sustain when the #1 contender beat the other options. I can see why you'd rather have Silva just fight them all. Ideally I love to him fight each contender at MW and have time for a few super fights. Silva is old and very unpredictable his career could go several more years. Or he could retire after his last 2 or 3 fights on his contract. Since I can't claim to know what he plans on doing, I'd rather see the biggest fights available to end on a big high note.

i'd love to see silva v weidman. that would be one of the few times silva actually fights a guy with a very well rounded game. silva would be the odds on favorite, but weidman has a lot of weapons which would make it a dangerous fight for silva (size, reach, awesome wrestling, stifling top control, world-renowned grappling, creative striking).

There aren't really a ton of new contenders? no shit, because guys like kampmann, ellenberger, and hendricks have pretty much wiped out everybody in the division. He really should be writing all of them 'thank you' letters for doing his job for him.

huh? kampmann beat story, who was on a little bit of a skid after his loss to brennenman, alves, who'd already lost to gsp, and ellenberger, who had a decent run since losing to condit, but showed he had cardio issues vs sanchez in a three round fight. he was also his own worst enemy, losing to shields and sanchez.

ellenberger lost to condit, beat a bunch of non-top ten guys, beat shields (same guy st pierre beat before) looked good vs sanchez for a couple of rounds, before gassing late and picking up a decision, then got tko'd by kampmann. his fight vs hieron was a snoozefest, but i don't think anyone had hieron as a serious contender.

two of hendricks's biggest wins were vs two guys georges already beat (koscheck twice and fitch in dominant fashion). his win over kampmann was also impressive. the rest weren't anywhere near title contention.

i'm sure anderson and his camp really give a sh't what shertards say. as long as he's getting paid the way he usually gets paid, i can't see how much of a difference it really makes.

the only reason it seems like he wasn't interested in fighting weidman is because that's a more dangerous fight for him than most of the other top mw's could potentially be.

And thats just silly. Havent we had these Silva is ducking Weidman conversations enough, did we really need another thread?

And thats just silly. Havent we had these Silva is ducking Weidman conversations enough, did we really need another thread?

He turns any thread he can into an Anti Silva thread

I can't figure out if its funny or sad

huh? kampmann beat story, who was on a little bit of a skid after his loss to brennenman, alves, who'd already lost to gsp, and ellenberger, who had a decent run since losing to condit, but showed he had cardio issues vs sanchez in a three round fight. he was also his own worst enemy, losing to shields and sanchez.

ellenberger lost to condit, beat a bunch of non-top ten guys, beat shields (same guy st pierre beat before) looked good vs sanchez for a couple of rounds, before gassing late and picking up a decision, then got tko'd by kampmann. his fight vs hieron was a snoozefest, but i don't think anyone had hieron as a serious contender.

two of hendricks's biggest wins were vs two guys georges already beat (koscheck twice and fitch in dominant fashion). his win over kampmann was also impressive. the rest weren't anywhere near title contention.

you're missing the point.

Kampmann beat story, alves, ellenberger (in that order), still no title shot because gsp was holding the belt hostage.

Ellenberger was on a 6 fight win streak in the ufc with wins over shields and sanchez, still no title shot because gsp was holding the belt hostage.

Hendricks is on a 5 fight win streak in the ufc with wins over fitch, koscheck, and kampmann, still no title shot because gsp chose to fight diaz instead.

now where are all the contenders??

why are people so eager to see the current crop of contenders eliminate each other from title contention, particularly the ones silva hasn't fought yet?

people keep saying guys like belcher, lombard, weidman, boetsch, and bisping should all fight each other in order to determine a "true" #1 contender.

that's a pile of horse-sh't. since silva already "cleaned out the division" in the past, wouldn't it make more sense to have him fight this new batch of challengers than sitting out for most of the year?

these guys should be fighting gatekeepers, staying active, waiting for their chance to get a title shot instead of knocking each other off and giving silva's camp the chance to say that they're not on an impressive enough streak to face him (like that ever mattered before).

so you mean top 10 fighters should fight scrubs instead of fighting each other... interesting.

i'd love to see silva v weidman. that would be one of the few times silva actually fights a guy with a very well rounded game. silva would be the odds on favorite, but weidman has a lot of weapons which would make it a dangerous fight for silva (size, reach, awesome wrestling, stifling top control, world-renowned grappling, creative striking).

I honestly wouldn't call Weidman a creative striker based on one standing elbow. None of his fights suggest that he could stand a full 2 minute with Silva engaging him. I'll give you all those other skills. You can't call out saying that Silva didn't want to take this fight because you think he'd thought he might lose. Then complain Weidman isn't getting a title shot. Weidman could have been set up for his shot right now if he didn't duck Vitor. People can cry "why would he duck Vitor for a tougher fight in Silva"?

Clearly he factored in that he might lose as well, tried wait for a title shot he was never promised. Had he fought top 10 Vitor and beat him impressively, this wouldn't be a problem right now. Several people called him out and might have been good choices to fight. He was going to fight Boestch, who despite his resume have quality names looks to be the weakest of Bisping, Belfort, Belcher. Weidman tried to talk himself into that title shot instead of fighting one more time against a big name guy. Now he is re-injured and can't fight any of these guys.

While he is still down injured people like Bisping, Belfort, Belcher, Lombard, Boestch, and Phillopou can keep putting in work. If Weidman lucks out maybe the guys that could end ahead of him with a good performance lose instead. Or turns up injured and he steps in for a title fight. Wouldn't be an issue if he'd of stepped up a did his work.

He turns any thread he can into an Anti Silva thread

I can't figure out if its funny or sad

huh? i said that silva should try and fight as many of the current crop of contenders at mw. someone else mentioned weidman specifically. if you guys have some insecurity about your man crush, deal with it. what's pathetic is that you claim he's the best fighter in the world, yet you constantly argue that he shouldn't fight anyone other than st pierre or bisping :redface:

you're missing the point.

Kampmann beat story, alves, ellenberger (in that order), still no title shot because gsp was holding the belt hostage.

Ellenberger was on a 6 fight win streak in the ufc with wins over shields and sanchez, still no title shot because gsp was holding the belt hostage.

Hendricks is on a 5 fight win streak in the ufc with wins over fitch, koscheck, and kampmann, still no title shot because gsp chose to fight diaz instead.

now where are all the contenders??

st pierre was scheduled to fight diaz in the time frame you're talking about, then he suffered a serious injury. silva is, and has been quite healthy for some time now, and he only defended his title once this past year. he also fought in a disgraceful exhibition which was more worthy of his time than a fight vs someone the ufc billed as the #1 mw contender.

so you mean top 10 fighters should fight scrubs instead of fighting each other... interesting.

scrubs? no. just guys that are a step below the elite so as to avoid the possibility of potential NEW contenders from knocking each other out of title contention.

I honestly wouldn't call Weidman a creative striker based on one standing elbow. None of his fights suggest that he could stand a full 2 minute with Silva engaging him. I'll give you all those other skills. You can't call out saying that Silva didn't want to take this fight because you think he'd thought he might lose. Then complain Weidman isn't getting a title shot. Weidman could have been set up for his shot right now if he didn't duck Vitor. People can cry "why would he duck Vitor for a tougher fight in Silva"?

Clearly he factored in that he might lose as well, tried wait for a title shot he was never promised. Had he fought top 10 Vitor and beat him impressively, this wouldn't be a problem right now. Several people called him out and might have been good choices to fight. He was going to fight Boestch, who despite his resume have quality names looks to be the weakest of Bisping, Belfort, Belcher. Weidman tried to talk himself into that title shot instead of fighting one more time against a big name guy. Now he is re-injured and can't fight any of these guys.

While he is still down injured people like Bisping, Belfort, Belcher, Lombard, Boestch, and Phillopou can keep putting in work. If Weidman lucks out maybe the guys that could end ahead of him with a good performance lose instead. Or turns up injured and he steps in for a title fight. Wouldn't be an issue if he'd of stepped up a did his work.

his striking creativity is based on how he uses his td's in conjunction with his kicks/punches in order to keep his opponents off balance. he also baits his opponents into making mistakes and capitalizes on them very nicely.

please, get the f'ck out of here with that "ducking vitor" bullsh't too. you're claiming that weidman was waiting for a title shot that was never promised to him by the ufc (i didn't know the ufc was able to force silva into signing a contract) despite the fact that they said weidman is the #1 contender, then go on and claim that chris ducked vitor when the closest that fight came to being booked was belfort calling weidman out on twitter. can your argument hold any less water? why not make a list of all the fighters that have ducked siyar while you're at it? at the very least, silva and his management were actually offered a fight vs weidman and they flat out refused. that's a far cry from weidman going on the internet and challenging anderson, the way belfort did. although, based on your logic, that would have been more legit? :icon_neut

huh? i said that silva should try and fight as many of the current crop of contenders at mw. someone else mentioned weidman specifically. if you guys have some insecurity about your man crush, deal with it. what's pathetic is that you claim he's the best fighter in the world, yet you constantly argue that he shouldn't fight anyone other than st pierre or bisping :redface:

Lot of assumptions in this post

Never said Silva should only fight GSP or Bisping lol

I'd watch him fight anyone they put in front of him, I just find it fucking sad how much time you spend posting about Silva.

This is todays weak attempt at an Anderson Silva hate thread tsktsk. Someone get me Kneeinthenutz

MMA fans have a hard on for the tournament format. I'd rather see them line up to be merked by the spider one at a time.

Silva wanted a 10 fight extension am i right? we can possibly see that happen.

Lot of assumptions in this post

Never said Silva should only fight GSP or Bisping lol

I'd watch him fight anyone they put in front of him, I just find it fucking sad how much time you spend posting about Silva.

this is more about the mw division than silva specifically. i just think that more guys should get a crack at the title, rather than waiting around for that prima-donna to decide someone is worthy to fight him. also, the part about bisping and gsp was aimed at comeback kid, since those are the only people he ever brings up who he claims have done enough to earn a title shot.

This is todays weak attempt at an Anderson Silva hate thread tsktsk. Someone get me Kneeinthenutz

oh...i get it. if you want to see silva defend his title, that makes you a hater. if you don't want to see him fight, you're a fan.

what's funny is that silva nut huggers continue to hit new lows all the time on sherdog. first, it wasn't enough to say that silva would be, and should be, the favorite over any mw he faces, you also have to say that he'd completely obliterate them. now, it's that silva shouldn't even be in the cage with anyone unless they have at least 5 top ten wins in a row and they're a champion in a different division.

and letting the WW contenders eliminate each other while gsp gets to hold onto his precious belt is any different??

You know the hate is going too far when you enter a thread that has nothing to do with GSP just to hate him more. You seriously have a problem. Everything isn't about hating GSP.

Why don't you concentrate on something you like for a little while? Maybe it will do you some good. It's getting tiresome.

I think people are concerned that nobody seems to have really presented himself as a clear number one contender, except maybe Weidman.

Middleweight is a relatively weak division; there's a reason so few fighters from there are considered for top P4P.

Your first comment i can agree with. You second i think you are completely wrong.

MW is perceived to b a weak division b/c it has had such a dominant champ preside over it for so long. Silva's dominance and manner in which he dominates has given the illusion of a weak class.

During Silva's long reign we have had a very competitive division outside of the champ.

PPl like to sight some of Silva's less deserving title contenders as evidence of the weak division but the fact is we can do the same for almost each and every past champ in the history of mma.

Silva fought Cote, Leites and Lutter who now with the benefit of hindsight have had less then stellar careers after their loss to Silva

GSP fought Alves (2-3 after GSP)
Hardy (2-3 after GSP)
Serra (lost to him once and went 1-2 b4 retiring after GSP)

Fedor after winning the HW belt fought competition like Nagata (0-2) Zulu, Choi hing man (not counting fighters he was force to compete against in GP formats)

Was/is the WW division weak, was the Pride HW division weak. The answer is no. Look past the minority of fights that these fighters competed in that had weak challengers and look at the overall career and quality of opponents as a whole.

Lets look at some of Silva's opponents at MW and put into perspective the depth of the division.

Rich Franklin
UFC MW champ that had a record of 22-1 going into the fight with his only loss to rising star MAchida. A great win over a legit champ x2.

Nate MArqUardt

Legit contender. Former 3 x mw Pancrase champion. Had a record of 25-7-2 going into the bout. Current strike force WW champ.
A great win over a legit contender.

Dan Henderson
A true legend of the sport and Silva's greatest win.
Pride WW (183 lbs) GP winner and PRide MW(205lbs) champ.
Strikeforce LHW champ.
Winner of the Rings 1999 king of king tournament with wins over BAbalu and BIg NOg on his way to victory. Winner of the UFC 17 MW tournament.
Anyone that talks shit or down plays this win has no idea about MMA. Henderson is arguably the current top contender for the UFC LHW belt.
Silvas greatest win and worthy of everyone's "Hespect"

Damian Maia
Not his greatest challenge but a legit top 10 MW at the time but I agree he is not a "great" win but it's not a bad win either

Chael Sonnen
Legit Number 1 contender for the MW title. Former lineal world MW champ and rightful WEC MW champ.
He beat Filho but bc Filho did not make weight in a scheduled title bout even though he was the champ the belt did not officially change hands.
Filho apprently handed over the belt to Sonnen after the fight as a sign of respect. (true story)
This is a great and legit win for Silva x2

Vitor Belfort
Great opponent and legit contender.
Very big win. Former LHW champ as well as UFC 12 HW tournament winner. Also held the minor title of cage rage LHW champ. Has only ever lost to greats. I can't see how anyone can down play Belfort. Almost upset JJ in his LHW challenge.
A great win over a great fighter.

Yushin okami
Legit contender if not the no1 contender at the time of the bout.
In fact fans were crying for him to get a title shot for so long.
A worthy opponent and very good win.

Then we have quality fighters that Silva has not faces at MW yet like Bisping, Weidman, Belcher, Rockhold (SF champ).

I can's see how anyone can say the MW division is weak.

Back