Conor vs Nate was a classic case of a cherry pick gone wrong

Hi-Tech

Slavic Fighter
Banned
Reaction score
Nate derailed the hype train big time and even Conor winning the rematch now can't change that. Conor was supposed to fight GSP at UFC 200, that's why the whole 170 limit. GSP was in the audience for that fight. Conor was supposed to call him out.

After RDA (another relative cherry pick over Edgar) was injured Nate was cherry-picked by Conor. A striker who doesn't take down people and is a relative draw because of his brother, it seemed like a perfect fight. At that time Conor seemed invincible in the stand up.

I think Conor vs Nate is up there in the history of the biggest cherry picks gone wrong with Broner vs Maidana and Martinez vs Cotto.

Another reason why I loved that fight. Coddling goes a long way ...but then you run into Nate Diaz.

For sure.

Both Conor and Dana saw it being a 'gimme' fight, as Nate wasn't even training (he was on vacation in Cabo), and they knew Diaz would stand and trade with McG, which plays into his strenghs.

But they both grossly underestimated Nates TOUGHNESS, and it blew up in their faces.

I honestly thought they should have made the faber fight instead.

Conor is going to beat Diaz next week and make it look easy.

Then all you bums will be saying "Diaz was never that good to begin with", just like you did with Mark Hunt.

They thought Conor would be able to do what Josh Thompson did to Nate, he couldn't.

main.php

I don't think it's really fair or accurate to call a late replacement fight a "cherry picked one". It was more of a "make lemonade out of lemons" situation that went wrong.
And i dont know buy that Conor was supposed to fight GSP at 200. Not saying it's impossible, but 170 with Nate happened only because it was all so last minute. I don't see how the UFC would have the FW champ move up 2 weight classes to fight a legend like GSP that fast.

I made this thread to point out what I thought was obvious to every hardcore MMA fan.

It's ridiculous that some people try to paint Conor fighting Nate as Conor "stepping up", "taking risks", "fighting the bigger man" when this seemed as by far the best possible option when it comes to risk vs award AT THE TIME.

Yep. GSP was in the crowd conveniently placed for Conor to call him out after he beat Nate, but we all know what happened instead.
tumblr_o8k6saKLpi1ujl0qgo1_400.gif

I was saying this before the fight, so this isn't just me pulling a captain hindsight, but if you thought conor was gonna run over nate easily the first time around slap yourself. Even on 11 days notice I knew nate would be dangerous. & if you think conor doesn't have a chance in the rematch, slap yourself.

And i dont know buy that Conor was supposed to fight GSP at 200. Not saying it's impossible, but 170 with Nate happened only because it was all so last minute. I don't see how the UFC would have the FW champ move up 2 weight classes to fight a legend like GSP that fast.

Why was GSP there? Why were they filming him commenting on that fight?

It was all setup to create the big story for UFC 200.

Diaz spoke with Chael Sonnen on his podcast about his big win that Diaz says upset more than just Conor McGregor.

“Yeah I heard (they were planning on having Conor call out St-Pierre) but I put a big old hole in that shit. I’m like, what do you guys think, that I’m some game to be played with? I been in the game too long to f*ck with.”

“They wanted to have this big old GSP McGregor show bullshit. I don’t even want to hear about that. GSP is gonna come out retirement to fight this little ass Conor McGregor? What the f*ck? I mean this is all just a freak show now.”

Diaz explains that he ruined the party, but finds it funny.

“So now what did I do now? I pissed off Conor McGregor, I pissed off GSP, and most of all I pissed off the UFC. But, LOL motherf*ckers.”

http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/vide...-pissed-off-gsp-pissed-off-ufc-lol-motherers/

Nate Diaz fucked Conor, GSP, Dana White and the entire UFC in the ass hard. It was a monumental fuck up on their part, the case of a cherry pick gone HORRIBLY wrong.

Nate derailed the hype train big time and even Conor winning the rematch now can't change that. Conor was supposed to fight GSP at UFC 200, that's why the whole 170 limit. GSP was in the audience for that fight. Conor was supposed to call him out.

After RDA (another relative cherry pick over Edgar) was injured Nate was cherry-picked by Conor. A striker who doesn't take down people and is a relative draw because of his brother, it seemed like a perfect fight. At that time Conor seemed invincible in the stand up.

I think Conor vs Nate is up there in the history of the biggest cherry picks gone wrong with Broner vs Maidana and Martinez vs Cotto.
Yup. Talk about an epic fail. They should have chased down Denis siver, much better choice for Conor

Conor is going to beat Diaz next week and make it look easy.

Then all you bums will be saying "Diaz was never that good to begin with", just like you did with Mark Hunt.

This is you hoping, just like you did the first time around.

Yup. Talk about an epic fail. They should have chased down Denis siver, much better choice for Conor

Make no mistake about it, Conor definitely regrets fighting Nate Diaz big time. He lost much more money in the long run than he made that night.

GSP vs Conor would be horrible anyways. He'd groun-n-hump Conor to death in under 2 rounds.

Why was GSP there? Why were they filming him commenting on that fight?

It was all setup to create the big story for UFC 200.

Diaz spoke with Chael Sonnen on his podcast about his big win that Diaz says upset more than just Conor McGregor.

“Yeah I heard (they were planning on having Conor call out St-Pierre) but I put a big old hole in that shit. I’m like, what do you guys think, that I’m some game to be played with? I been in the game too long to f*ck with.”

“They wanted to have this big old GSP McGregor show bullshit. I don’t even want to hear about that. GSP is gonna come out retirement to fight this little ass Conor McGregor? What the f*ck? I mean this is all just a freak show now.”

Diaz explains that he ruined the party, but finds it funny.

“So now what did I do now? I pissed off Conor McGregor, I pissed off GSP, and most of all I pissed off the UFC. But, LOL motherf*ckers.”

http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/vide...-pissed-off-gsp-pissed-off-ufc-lol-motherers/

Nate Diaz fucked Conor, GSP, Dana White and the entire UFC in the ass hard. It was a monumental fuck up on their part, the case of a cherry pick gone HORRIBLY wrong.

Hm. Interesting. I hadn't seen that before.
It does seem like they may have been leaning in that direction after all.. I was trying to give the UFC a bit more credit as a sport.,,but yea..whatever money train the UFC had planned was definitely derailed at 196.

Back