Conor Mcgregors Stance (Semi Long Read)

RoyJonesJr

Carti Season
@red
Reaction score
After rewatching the Dustin Poirer rematch a few times, I've actually realized that Mcgregors new stance has its benefits, and I think I know why he incorporated it.

It's very conservative and efficient compared to his karate stance, and for a guy that throws bombs in every punch, his new stance is much better at conserving energy. There are really few wasted movements, it's solid in that sense. Go back and rewatch the Dustin fight then rewatch his earlier fights.

The problem is, his karate stance was better at keeping his opponent guessing. Because his movement was erratic, just imagine standing in front of Mcgregor, the dude was all over the place bouncing in and out, throwing spinning shit, oblique kicks, then boom he hits you with a left at full power while you try to close the distance.

The downside to this? Cardio obviously

Other than that, Conor hasn't really added many tools to his arsenal when it comes to setting up his left. He changed his stance to better preserve his gas tank and in the Dustin fight, you see him throw the left at less power to preserve energy for the later rounds.

It kinda goes like this if you were gonna turn Mcgregors striking arsenal into a Mortal Kombat Combo Tutorial

Boxer Stance Conor
Feint, feint, left, feint, kick, jab, left, left again, feint, left again, jab, jab, left, left, right hook, right, left, left

Karate Conor
Lung in, lung out, left, oblique, spinning shit, left, spinning shit, taunt, body hook, kick, left, left, overhand right, left, taunt, kick, spinning shit, followed by gassing.

I really think Dustin is the better fighter and I don't know why so many people doubted him or thought it was an easy fight for Conor.

Even if Conor checks the calf kicks, he wasn't dominating the boxing exchanges. He was spamming the left and Dustin was starting to time it because Conor did very little to hide it. Maybe a weak jab or right hook once in a while, but he still depends on the left way too much.

TLDR
  • Conors new stance is to preserve energy with less wasted movements for a longer fight
  • But this makes it harder to land the left clean, because he's not as unpreditable
  • Conors throws the left a lot and does very little to set it up or hide it. He just spams it
  • Karate Conor was more erratic and harder to predict, so it made his left easier to set up
  • But this came at a downside, he would gas much quicker
  • Dustin is the better fighter imo, calf kick or no calf kick Dustin will eventually time Conor in because hes not the best at sneaking in his left, its predictable now.
  • Conor is flip-flopping between boxing & mma its really hurting his career

Das it mane

Enjoy your weekends & Have Fun

Conor fan's seem to forget Dustin's right hook was consistently landing.

What do you mean? Dustin only landed leg kicks brah

Ya I dont get this calf kick narrative

Conor got countered within the first 30 seconds of the fight

Dustin was able to time Conor really well, and Conor did little to adapt. The more he got countered, the more he started throwing the left carelessly

After rewatching the Dustin Poirer rematch a few times, I've actually realized that Mcgregors new stance has its benefits, and I think I know why he incorporated it.

It's very conservative and efficient compared to his karate stance, and for a guy that throws bombs in every punch, his new stance is much better at conserving energy. There are really few wasted movements, it's solid in that sense. Go back and rewatch the Dustin fight then rewatch his earlier fights.

The problem is, his karate stance was better at keeping his opponent guessing. Because his movement was erratic, just imagine standing in front of Mcgregor, the dude was all over the place bouncing in and out, throwing spinning shit, oblique kicks, then boom he hits you with a left at full power while you try to close the distance.

The downside to this? Cardio obviously

Other than that, Conor hasn't really added many tools to his arsenal when it comes to setting up his left. He changed his stance to better preserve his gas tank and in the Dustin fight, you see him throw the left at less power to preserve energy for the later rounds.

It kinda goes like this if you were gonna turn Mcgregors striking arsenal into a Mortal Kombat Combo Tutorial

Boxer Stance Conor
Feint, feint, left, feint, kick, jab, left, left again, feint, left again, jab, jab, left, left, right hook, right, left, left

Karate Conor
Lung in, lung out, left, oblique, spinning shit, left, spinning shit, taunt, body hook, kick, left, left, overhand right, left, taunt, kick, spinning shit, followed by gassing.

I really think Dustin is the better fighter and I don't know why so many people doubted him or thought it was an easy fight for Conor.

Even if Conor checks the calf kicks, he wasn't dominating the boxing exchanges. He was spamming the left and Dustin was starting to time it because Conor did very little to hide it. Maybe a weak jab or right hook once in a while, but he still depends on the left way too much.

TLDR
  • Conors new stance is to preserve energy with less wasted movements for a longer fight
  • But this makes it harder to land the left clean, because he's not as unpreditable
  • Conors throws the left a lot and does very little to set it up or hide it. He just spams it
  • Karate Conor was more erratic and harder to predict, so it made his left easier to set up
  • But this came at a downside, he would gas much quicker
  • Dustin is the better fighter imo, calf kick or no calf kick Dustin will eventually time Conor in because hes not the best at sneaking in his left, its predictable now.
  • Conor is flip-flopping between boxing & mma its really hurting his career

Das it mane

Enjoy your weekends & Have Fun
much focus on Connor's stance and his kicks. fair game, I agree with the most. however Dustin's boxing is waaaay overlooked. crisp, well controlled (not erratic windmills) and timed, solid punch - that's what dismantles Connor 3.0 Calf kicks is just a set-up or Connor's excuse for his losses.

Last edited:
Conor fan's seem to forget Dustin's right hook was consistently landing.
Counter right hook. He timed and knew Conor's combos. He was able to read the 1-2 and his lead right hook to left cross combo and counter it with the right hook. You can thank Dustin's boxing trainer/coach for that. He most likely drilled that with Dustin to get him ready for the fight.

In the cage, Conor looked slow before the fight even started.

much focus on his stance and his kicks. fair game, I agree with the most. however Dustin's boxing is waaaay overlooked. crisp, well controlled (not erratic windmills) and timed, solid punch - that's what dismantles Connor 3.0 Calf kicks is just a set-up or Connor's excuse for his losses.

The timing in this punch was beautiful

GreenEqualAlaskanmalamute-size_restricted.gif

Dustin was able to time Conor really well, and Conor did little to adapt. The more he got countered, the more he started throwing the left carelessly

you are right. He got immidiately countered and stepped back. He was hurt by that counter.

TS, do you buy that he changed stances because he’d been (and planned to continue, until he lost) training boxing? Prob for a fight against PacMan?

The more Dustin began to counter him as well.

TS, do you buy that he changed stances because he’d been (and planned to continue, until he lost) training boxing? Prob for a fight against PacMan?
dats clearly what happeneded.

when conors haters were mad at the dustin matchup cuz they thought conor would smoke him.

The timing in this punch was beautiful

GreenEqualAlaskanmalamute-size_restricted.gif
You didn't include the other 20 punches just before this one that whiffed. I don't think Dustin even timed this one. He was just throwing everything at a crippled & gassed Conor and one was inevitably going to connect. Conor walked right into it and got taken out, but he was pretty much done at this point anyway.

Back