Conor McGregor vs Niklas Backstrom

He was actually meant to fight Conor (8-2 at the time) on Cage Warriors Fight Night 2 but Niklas (3-0 at the time) broke his hand a week before the fight so it got cancelled and Conor fought Aaron Jahnsen instead. If Cole Miller pulls out I can almost guarantee Niklas will be banging on Sean Shelby's door cause he's been very vocal about how disappointed he was seeing Conor's rise to fame while he himself couldn't even get a proper fight.

Some curiosa about Niklas:

Niklas lives (lived?) in a horder like home that has been described as "the most disgusting thing ever" by out of town training partners who's (very briefly) lived with him. When guys says they "eat, sleep and train" they usually really don't, Niklas truly does. He moved from his home in the deep north as a teen and turned up at a gym in south of Sweden, no cash in his pockets and no place live. They threw him in with the big guys and he got beat up but still wanted to fight so they let him hang around.

He's considered by many to be a bigger talent than Gustafsson and dominated world sambo champ Sergej Grecicho on one weeks short notice back when he was 1/3 of the fighter he is today and with only 4 wins to his name. That win was both fortunate and unfortunate for his career because it basically meant it stalled. The only reason why it took him this long to get into the UFC is because no legit guys in Europe were willing to step up and fight him until german talent Max Coga came along and got kicked unconscious in 15 seconds.

He ragdolls LW Reza Madadi in training, a great fighter in his own right, who by most accounts went 3-0 in the UFC and has wins against Michael Johnson, a 15 lbs overweight Carlo Prater, Rich Clementi and Cristiano Marcello.

85520_backis.png

His teammates says he's got the best RNC in the world, a move he's perfected by sitting in front of the TV in his disgusting apartment practicing it on his knee all night. He's been doing this since he was a kid, basically. Niklas is obsessed and borderline psychotic.

And yes, it's only a matter of time before he's sniffing at the belt. Niinim

He is defintley something special and I belive he will be top 10 shortly. He surely appears to be somewhat special as a person as well but I think it is rellly exaggerated.

Exaggerate what? Can you be a bit more specific?

Exaggerate what? Can you be a bit more specific?

Oh, I'm not really refering to him being very driven I'm just think all the talk about him being a psycho, eating puppies etc. is a bit over the top. It could be true but I just think he is extremly driven and somewhat eccentric.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm not really refering to him being very driven I'm just think all the talk about him being a psycho, eating puppies etc. is a bit over the top. It could be true but I just think he is extremly driven and somewhat eccentric.

What? Psycho?? Eating puppies???? Lol no.

I think you're reading something else into it other than what I wrote. Or in case I wasn't clear enough yeah let's call it "extremly driven and somewhat eccentric" then. "You say tomato, I say tomahto", etc.

"Psycho" is not the same as "psychotic" btw.

Two weeks short notice ladies and gents and yet literally everyone who saw him train before the fight said he would go in there and handle business like it was no big thing (and everyone with half a brain knows Niinim

Last night was the first time I saw this kid fight and all these circumstances considered I think I got to witness greatness. Im suprised more people arent talking about his performance right now. He is at the top of the division inside of a couple of years if he stays injury free and anything flukish doesnt happen, imho.

I think so too. Injuries could stop him like you said and lets see how his chin holds up when he climbs the rankings. And also his boxing could use some improvement but he's only been at Allstars one or two years now and made massive, massive improvements so that one I'm pretty sure will sort itself.

Other than that he's a scary scary dude in FW. He said in the media scrum that he had to stay relaxed in the clinch to conserve energy rather than exploding out of it like he normally does. Also got a tooth infection eight days before the fight so half of his face got all swollen. He's a tough kid and there's way more in the tank which is mind boggling. I know I'm bias but... yeah I think he's special.

I think I called him a mini Jon Jones somewhere and I'm sure you can see why. And ironically McGregor is a bit of a mini Gustafsson too.

I think so too. Injuries could stop him like you said and lets see how his chin holds up when he climbs the rankings. And also his boxing could use some improvement but he's only been at Allstars one or two years now and made massive, massive improvements so that one I'm pretty sure will sort itself.

Other than that he's a scary scary dude in FW. He said in the media scrum that he had to stay relaxed in the clinch to conserve energy rather than exploding out of it like he normally does. Also got a tooth infection eight days before the fight so half of his face got all swollen. He's a tough kid and there's way more in the tank which is mind boggling. I know I'm bias but... yeah I think he's special.

I think I called him a mini Jon Jones somewhere and I'm sure you can see why. And ironically McGregor is a bit of a mini Gustafsson too.

I remember how Conor became a huge star after his debut against Brimage. I see a lot of similarities here, all the skills are there + character. Niklas seems to have a real potential to become a superstar (by mma standards). He already caused a lot of laughs and interests at the post fight press, just like Conor did. It might help if he could speak english little better, but at the same time that was also a part of him being so humorous at the press conference.

Anyway, Im not good analyzing his abilities from technical standpoint, I just felt I saw that rare kind of champion caliber mindset and talent last night.

Back