Conor Mcgregor vs Nate Diaz/Cowboy Cerrone

Ragnus

K-1 Heavyweight Champion
@Green
Reaction score
Who is the better fighter Diaz or Cerrone and who do you believe to be the more intriguing matchup?

Diaz is the worst matchup, probably. That boxing is long range and a long guard is the way to beat a guy with crazy hands.

Cerrone doesn't match up well striking but his TDs seem improved and on the ground it's lights out.

Diaz. It could be epic dog fight.

Diaz is the worst matchup, probably. That boxing is long range and a long guard is the way to beat a guy with crazy hands.

Cerrone doesn't match up well striking but his TDs seem improved and on the ground it's lights out.
I tend to Agree i think conor vs diaz is a insane matchup, fingers crossed...

both easy fights for conor
I think both the matchups slightly favor conor and i would assume the betting odds would agree, i think a wild card fight could be conor vs khabib, although khabib is booked to fight ferguson, in that matchup alot would favor nurmagomedov

I don't know. Diaz still got tagged a lot in that fight with Johnson.

Anyway, with the back and forth between Conor & Cerrone, you'd think that would be the one to make.

Both fights would be cool...I would love to see the trash talk between Diaz and Conor!!

Who is the better fighter? Hmm...

Diaz-Double-Finger.gif

I think it's going to be Nate because RDA couldn't finish him. Conor would love to say "I finished the guy you couldn't", and he wouldn't be able to defeat Cerrone faster than Rafael (well he can, but unlikely)

I don't know. Diaz still got tagged a lot in that fight with Johnson.

Anyway, with the back and forth between Conor & Cerrone, you'd think that would be the one to make.
Cerrone is a wild card in my opinion because of his ground game and his kicks. That being said, his boxing defense is tailor made for Conor. That "answering the phone" style defense allows the guy with hands to throw combinations at will and counter.

Diaz on the other hand has a really long guard which makes you punch around his arms. That complicates the shit out of life for a boxer, especially one with no back up plan (the guys who land clean on Nate usually are feinting TDs). Combine that with Nates reach, he is an incredibly live dog.

Edit: and Nates a southpaw which negates Conors straight left.

Diaz has good range, accurate punches and nice combos but his speed and power is average at best and his foot work is nil, he would get destroyed on the feet by Mcgregor IMO.

Cerrone is a wild card in my opinion because of his ground game and his kicks. That being said, his boxing defense is tailor made for Conor. That "answering the phone" style defense allows the guy with hands to throw combinations at will and counter.

Diaz on the other hand has a really long guard which makes you punch around his arms. That complicates the shit out of life for a boxer, especially one with no back up plan (the guys who land clean on Nate usually are feinting TDs). Combine that with Nates reach, he is an incredibly live dog.

Edit: and Nates a southpaw which negates Conors straight left.

I think if Cerrone gets the fight he will shoot for takedowns and do the complete opposite of a 'typical Cerrone' fight. I'm sure he'll use some striking, but I think he'd mix things up a lot more.

For Diaz, he looked good against Johnson considering how long he'd being out, but he did get tagged a lot and over-extend on a lot of shots. I agree with his reach being an advantage, he's one of the few fighters who uses it cleverly. He doesn't have a lot of power behind his shots, it's more the number of shots he lands takes their toll - similar to Conor. I just think Conor will have that one punch KO at 155, and just from judging Diaz on his last fight, he'd have to be a lot better at keeping his guard up.

I could almost imagine the shit talk in the fight being a factor of who'd win that - the first to get frustrated from expending too much energy trying to hit the other. Ah, it's all subjective, anyway.

I don't think Diaz has done enough to get a fight with Conor. Although, he'll likely whine his way into the fight.

I think if Cerrone gets the fight he will shoot for takedowns and do the complete opposite of a 'typical Cerrone' fight. I'm sure he'll use some striking, but I think he'd mix things up a lot more.

For Diaz, he looked good against Johnson considering how long he'd being out, but he did get tagged a lot and over-extend on a lot of shots. I agree with his reach being an advantage, he's one of the few fighters who uses it cleverly. He doesn't have a lot of power behind his shots, it's more the number of shots he lands takes their toll - similar to Conor. I just think Conor will have that one punch KO at 155, and just from judging Diaz on his last fight, he'd have to be a lot better at keeping his guard up.

I could almost imagine the shit talk in the fight being a factor of who'd win that - the first to get frustrated from expending too much energy trying to hit the other. Ah, it's all subjective, anyway.
I agree with the trash talk. I was actually rooting for Johnson against Diaz and didn't really see him land a clean shot.

Part of Nate's lack of power is that he doesn't over extend on his shots often if at all. He throws punches from the right position with no wind up. His weakness is kicks and wrestling.

I agree with the trash talk. I was actually rooting for Johnson against Diaz and didn't really see him land a clean shot.

Part of Nate's lack of power is that he doesn't over extend on his shots often if at all. He throws punches from the right position with no wind up. His weakness is kicks and wrestling.

I rarily remember fights that well, but that was something that stuck out at least a couple of times when he missed a punch and Johnson just wasn't quick enough to counter. It's one aspect to look at from Conor's point of view. But he was out for a year before that and Johnson has steadily improved and a hard first fight back from a year off.

The shit talk in the fight might actually be ineffective as they probably won't understand what the other is saying. Be a game of hit and gesture at one another.

Who is the better fighter Diaz or Cerrone and who do you believe to be the more intriguing matchup?

I would go with Diaz over Cerrone at this point. Cerrone fought well this past weekend, but I think that Conor would be able to get at him mentality. However, there will be no fekks given by Nate, so I think he would put up the better fight.

Back