Conor considered a better MMA fighter than Izzy - passed the wrestler test, while the latter didn't

I tend to agree with the assessment that McGregor has an overall better skillset.
Plus, I'd like to add, while everybody seems to remember that Mendes had two weeks notice, nobody ever seems to mention that it's well documented that McGregor had ACL issues that basically made it impossible for him to grapple in preparation for the fight, albeit against Aldo at that point.
That's not even supposed to be an excuse, it's just pointing out what's documented.
And it explains the fact that he got taken down so easily against Mendes, while being fairly competitive against even Khabib. I'm saying fairly, cause he actually defended some TDs. I know he lost eventually.

Conor Mcgregor passed the "wrestler test" against elite grappler Chad Mendes, on two weeks notice, nonetheless.

Some will say that the mythical "Full Camp Mendes" would have beaten Conor, without considering that the irishman was preparing for Aldo, a whole different opponent, and that "Full Camp Conor" would've also been a different beast.

As someone who picked Mendes to win, I can now appreciate the boderline heroic feat pulled by Conor.

He faced arguably his worst matchup on the whole roster on short notice and rose to the occasion. After a tough first round, Conor didn't pull back and kept going forward until his foe was laying unconcious on the canvas - in an incredible display of heart
WSqk.gif

"It was UFC president Dana White who called me and asked how we felt about Chad Mendes stepping in to fight Conor for the belt. Conor was sleeping at the time so I walked into his room and told him it could be Mendes instead. He opened one eye, said ‘They're all the same' and then went back to sleep. That's as far as any negotiation went."

Meanwhile, Izzy froze like a deer in the headlights after Jan landed the takedowns. He had no answer at all and barely attempted to get back on his feet, the nigerian became timid, and accepted his defeat. That's to say, albeit bigger, Jan is nowhere near Chad Mendes' level.

We now know that Adesanya's lack of heart and grappling acumen would've resulted in a one-sided beating had he faced Jon Jones, or even someone like Prime Chael Sonnen. As the old adage goes, there are levels to this game, and Adesanya is just not on the level of Conor McGregor.​
Chad was the late replacement. He's the one who didn't have a camp not Conrad.
Dustin is the first guy who didn't get a chance to choke him out because he wilted too fast

By whom? Any sensible, non-biased fan, I'd say
Who/Whom, whatever...I'm not biased...I can't stand either of them, but I would think most people would say that Izzy is a far better fighter than Conor...unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

Conor hasn't defended a title at any weight class and hasn't won at 155 since 2016. This is a weird comparison.

Conor looked like crap with the first wrestler he fought when he moved up (Khabib) and Izzy did too. Atleast I don't see Izzy taking a year or 2 hiatus after the loss.

Back