Conor before Jose fight: "The manner I beat him there will be no need for a rematch"

hallman beat hughes twice too. does that make him a better fighter?

my point was that when you look at who beat who, jds beat better fighters. he also had a much tougher road to the title shot when he first came to the ufc.
Hallman vs Hughes is my favourite example to throw out there!!! When you look at who Hughes beat vs Hallman it is not even remotely close.

Comparing their records JDS is 18-4 and Cain is 14-2. Cain has lost only to Werdum and JDS. JDS has lost to Cain twice, Overeem and Joaquim Ferreira. JDS gets a plus one for a win over Cain and a plus one for a win over Werdum who Cain lost to. Cain get plus 2 for wins over JDS and plus 1 for JDS losing to a nobody.

Cain's 5 Best wins against non common opponents IMO
Travis, Bigfoot, Brock, Big Nog & Congo

JDS's Best 5 wins gainst non common opponents IMO
Stipe, Hunt, Mir, Carwin, Werdum

JDS has additional wins in the UFC vs Struve, Crocop, Yvel, Nelson and Gonzaga
Cain has additional wins in the UFC vs Denis Stojnic, Jake O'Brien, Brad Morris

JDS has a few more name wins but I feel there is enough good comparable opponents that it is fair to say that Cain is a better fighter than JDS based on the head to head results. Perhaps with Cain getting pulled from UFC 207 I will tip the scales to Junior based on ability to stay healthy.

Serra/GSP, Cain/JDS, Mousasi/Hall, Caol Uno/Penn, Diaz/Conor

This. As well as the fact that champions with fewer defenses than Aldo get immediate rematches. Aldo has paid his dues (and then some) and deserved to fight McG again for the featherweight strap.

Why else would he need to?
Rematches are inevitable if you want to be a long time reigning champion, especially in divisions where you have a couple of fighters who stand out from the rest.

Back