• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Conor’s leg’s a balloon

looks like hes faking it to me didnt look bad in the fight not much redness i couldnt see any swelling

It's a lot better than his bootleg version Vince McMahon
giphy.gif

This is incorrect. You can check calf kicks - it's really about turning your toes outward. A simple rule of thumb is 45 degrees. That makes the defender's shin bone the first point of contact.

If you try to check with your toes pointing forward like Conor did, the kicker's shin will hit the outside muscle first. That muscle is thin AND it gets sandwiched into the shin bone.

I experienced this from Muay Thai sparring. A couple years ago I started sparring a lot, and when I was lazy I was checking kicks with poor form, toes pointing too much forward. My muscle kept getting compressed to the shin bone, even under the shin guards. After accumulation and eating some solid kicks, that outside muscle seized up. I was shocked that could happen even with shin guards, and it gave me a real respect for calf kick damage. Obviously without guards it would be ten times worse.

If you check correctly, the kick is either landing on the shin bone first (which is good for the defender), or it's landing on the shin bone and muscle together, without compressing the latter into the former. And of course a proper check often damages the kicker more than the defender, if the defender's upper shin bone is the point of contact, as the kick typically lands with the lower-to-middle of the kicker's shin bone which is less dense.

good advice. But to be fair, it's going to take a while to someone starts to check calf kicks. Even so, the attacker can shift his body to miss the shin and attack the calf. Either wat the meta of calf kicks is here to stay.

That’s just pathetic, I’m sorry. To be completely shut down due to one round of calf kicks? Jesus.

That’s just pathetic, I’m sorry. To be completely shut down due to one round of calf kicks? Jesus.

Have you felt a calf cramp? that shit is painful and the calf stays sore for a long time. I can't imagine getting kicked there.

THIS TIME IT's TRUE.

calf kicks are no joke and if you try to check those like in MT it will only help to expose the calf a lot more.
Lol wut?

There is a reason why you dont see those kicks in muay thai. It doesn’t work. The stances dont allow it.

Conor has a wide boxing stance, heavy on the lead leg. Toes and knee pointing inward. You simply cant check kicks fast enough with that stance. And Dustin is not the best kicker either. Imagine barboza, rda, even felder. Conor now needs to go back and fix this problem asap if he is to fight against a kicker again. Because his game got exposed.

Lol wut?

There is a reason why you dont see those kicks in muay thai. It doesn’t work. The stances dont allow it.

Conor has a wide boxing stance, heavy on the lead leg. Toes and knee pointing inward. You simply cant check kicks fast enough with that stance. And Dustin is not the best kicker either. Imagine barboza, rda, even felder. Conor now needs to go back and fix this problem asap if he is to fight against a kicker again. Because his game got exposed.

Nice. thank you for your insight.

I really wonder what would it be if Aldo didn't went too angry in that fight... this is before the Aldo that focused on boxing. Oh well, a man can dream.

good advice. But to be fair, it's going to take a while to someone starts to check calf kicks. Even so, the attacker can shift his body to miss the shin and attack the calf. Either wat the meta of calf kicks is here to stay.

Agreed on all points.

A big reason calf kicks work is because:
1. the defender isn't used to defending it (true with Conor)
2. the defender is heavy on the lead leg (very true with Conor)
3. calf kicks tend to get 100% absorbed at the target and you can't meaningfully condition the muscle there either. With a calf kick, usually the defender's foot and knee don't move upon contact and the target muscle is not flexed, so the muscle eats the entire force. Whereas against leg kicks that land above the knee, the defender can flex the leg muscle there to make a shield which protects the muscle, and the muscle gets conditioned

Obviously the leg was a factor but as a level headed fan of Conor, the playing it up no end after the fight was a bit lame - his way of telling himself he didn't actually get KOd IMO.

Not quite as bad as O'Malley though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back