Confusion regarding pre/post WO formulas and supplements.

Lorenz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, to start, yes I've read the sticky's, yes I've done searches, and yes, I'm still VERY confused.

The only supplements I've ever really taken (aside from multi's, fish oil, multi B's, vitamin C's), are Whey Protein, and Creatine. The only way I've ever taken these 2 supplements is - Creatine before workout, protein after my workout. Then I started reading here. :redface:

I'm interested in a good TrueProtein.com mix... but I need a little bit more then just "30% malto, 30% dextro, etc.". I really need some basic understanding. Should I be taking a pre-WO mixture, and a different post? Or is there a good mixture that will work for both? Should I be taking protein and creatine in addition to a TP mix? I've read MadMick's posts here - http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/new-my-true-protein-custom-pwo-formula-382736.html - but its honestly just such an overwhleming amount of information to someone who doesnt even understand the basics, and didn't go past grade 10 science!

Any help would be great guys, with the main necessity being a good mixture that will help accomplish my goals in the gym (Strength/Power lifting) Thanks in advance, and I promise any information you give, will be read, and appreciated!

I would get a 2:1 carb to protein ratio if you mainly do strength work... maybe a 3:1 mix if you're doing a lot of conditioning work... but both ratio's would be fine for either scenario.

You can throw 2-5g of creatine into your drink and BCAA's, Leucine, or EAA's would be optional.

I'd probably shoot for 30-40g of carbs per hour of training.

Start sipping your drink just prior to training or during your warm-up and continue drinking it throughout your workout. Slam back whatever is left after your workout.

PWO, I'd just eat a whole food meal rich in carbs and lean protein. I no longer believe in PWO shakes unless you absolutely can

I'm going to hijack very briefly and ask monger- am training, malto:whey drink, 20g carb:10g whey. Good idea or better to keep to coffee and whey?

The goal is conditioning gain

I'm going to hijack very briefly and ask monger- am training, malto:whey drink, 20g carb:10g whey. Good idea or better to keep to coffee and whey?

The goal is conditioning gain

If your conditioning is performance based, I don't know why you would avoid carbs... especially in the morning. Are you eating breakfast first? LoL, your post is sort of vauge, dude.

If your conditioning is performance based, I don't know why you would avoid carbs... especially in the morning. Are you eating breakfast first? LoL, your post is sort of vauge, dude.

Sorry mate, didn't want to hijack too much

From sleeping, no breakfast (vomit is not conducive to training)

I think if you don't want to just use formulas members have already designed based on their theory and want to design your own formula based on your own theory, you should be reading into sport nutrition theory and studies. If you just ask what does what on a forum, you're going to come to the same answer the people of the forum came to.

It looks to me like you are questioning the usefulness of a 2:1 carb:protein drink. It is tried and true, as seen by the numerous vendors that have similar blends for themselves (Cytogainer, Surge, MadMick's formula, etc)

There are at least 5 or so articles you should read here: John Berardi - Articles

That should help you get a better understanding of what you need.

Sorry mate, didn't want to hijack too much

From sleeping, no breakfast (vomit is not conducive to training)

You can always PM me.

In summary, if you're doing conditioning first thing in the morning with the goal of increasing your performance in that area... I would 100% include carbs in your WO drink.

FYI if taking a B vitamind supplement you find yourself getting mentally foggy. Stop the B for a few days if it goes away you might not need the extra B's. A lot of guys don't

FYI if taking a B vitamind supplement you find yourself getting mentally foggy. Stop the B for a few days if it goes away you might not need the extra B's. A lot of guys don't

Vitamin B complex actually enhances mental acuity. That's why they are included in preWO formulas, given to patients with dementia and Alzheimer's, and useful in depression.

Ok Monger and others, thanks for the suggestions, actually seems fairly straight-forward, as most of the recipes I have seen, tend to be in the 2:1 carb:protein ratio, so I will give that a shot! I appreciate the quick responses!

Joshetc, I think you misunderstood what I was attempting to say/ask. I dont for a second question anyone's theories regarding sports nutrition... because I'm completely ignorant on this subject, and thats what I want to fix! I'll have a look at those articles you linked, thanks for the response!

If I'm wanting to drop my bodyfat %, would skipping the pre-wo shake help or hurt?

Back