Competitive crossover that makes sense

J

Julius_Caesar

Fighters crossing over to other combat sports doesn't seem to be as unlikely as I once thought. The majority of the time its just a money grab and the fights don't make sense but some fans are not stupid and would prefer to see match ups that are somewhat competitive. That brings more money to the table. I genuinely feel this could work financially whilst also being competitive. (Maybe a few fighters would need to be replaced for whatever reasons)

It would be a 8 man tournament spread out within a few months. Bringing in 2 boxers, 2 MMA fighters, 2 Kickboxers and 2 MuayThai fighters. Kickboxing rules, in a cage with MMA gloves. No heavier than 160lbs.

GGG (Through GGG Promotions) (Boxing) (Kazakhstan)
Errol Spence (Not signed to a Promoter) (Boxing) (USA)
Conor McGregor (Deal with UFC) (MMA) (Ireland)
Max Holloway (Deal with UFC) (MMA) (Hawaii/USA)
Sittichai Sitsongpeenong (Deal with Glory) (Kickboxing) (Thailand)
Marat Grigiorian (Deal with Glory) (Kickboxing) (Armenian and Belgium) (Also represents Dutch style kb)
Yodwicha Kemmuaythaigym (Should be free) (Muaythai) (Thailand)
Rittewada Sitthikul (Should be free) (Muaythai) (Thailand)

(Only big promotions you'd be dealing with is UFC and Glory)

The 2 boxers would have to learn how to defend against kicks/knees but will have the advantage with boxing and both fighters are big & powerful and with mma gloves it will only take 1 shot.

The 2 MMA fighters are 2 of the best strikers in MMA who will be comfortable fighting in a cage with mma gloves without worrying about take downs.

The 2 Kickboxers are both top 5 P4P who will obviously be comfortable under the rule set but will have to adjust to fighting in MMA gloves in a cage.

The 2 highly skilled MuayThai fighters is the reason why this cannot be under muaythai rules. It wouldn't be as competitive.

Most fighters do what they do because it's their passion and they probably want to be the best, or something to that effect, in their respective sport. However, fighting people from other combat sports under a ruleset that will probably only be used for those specific matches proves...? Not really anything, but it does put money in their pockets and it does bring attention to the sport(s) that otherwise would most likely not be there. I completely support these silly spectacles.

I've seen more news about combat sports on mainstream outlets than I ever have before (albeit I'm not as old as some users here) and sure, this brings in casuals and it makes some MMA stars only look for money fights -- but for every 1,000 casuals, you may end up with a handful of die-hard fans and imo all of these MMA fighters chasing money is a symptom of low fighter pay in general, not spectacle fights. I've gotten a bit off track, but basically the main idea here is that I don't see much to gain from putting on a 'competitive' crossover fight vs a spectacle fight -- monetarily or for the fighters' legacy

Last edited:
would be a memorable waste of money

Mayweather vs Tenshin-Conor makes sense because of the commercial factor, both of them are huge draws (conor in the world and Tenshin in japan)

Casuals need to know who is fighting, no matter how talent the guy is, near to none of them are going to watch unknown kickboxing and MT fighters.

in Tenshin case, almost no one know him outside japan, but inside he is well known enough to pull something like this.

All the main GoH guys recently fought crossover fights .and.nobody.gave.a.fuck.
Just seems more seems like they're aimless and don't know where they are going.

Want to see Qiu Jianliang box and do MMA - you could. Wei Rui in MMA, ya bet.

would be a memorable waste of money

Mayweather vs Tenshin-Conor makes sense because of the commercial factor, both of them are huge draws (conor in the world and Tenshin in japan)

Casuals need to know who is fighting, no matter how talent the guy is, near to none of them are going to watch unknown kickboxing and MT fighters.

in Tenshin case, almost no one know him outside japan, but inside he is well known enough to pull something like this.
How would it be a waste of money? I think if promoted well it would make tons of money. Even if it wasn't promoted well it was still make money. Conor is a huge draw. So is GGG somewhat and even Errol Spence. You'll have boxing fans, mma fans and kickfighting fans all tuning in as well as the casuals. Something as big as this would also create national pride since humans tend to be very tribal. Even the thai's can be promoted in Thailand. Any Thai facing the likes of Conor or GGG would get huge support from their country. Look how popular Khabib got. I'm sure many casuals didn't know much about him before their fight was announced. Didn't change the fact that the fight did well.

All the main GoH guys recently fought crossover fights .and.nobody.gave.a.fuck.
Just seems more seems like they're aimless and don't know where they are going.

Want to see Qiu Jianliang box and do MMA - you could. Wei Rui in MMA, ya bet.
Yeah because no one knows them but its not relevant because the world doesn't need to know half of the fighters in this tournament when you have guys like Conor and Spence.

Plenty of KBers went to full MT, MMA, and pro boxing. Marco Huck, Povetkin, Klitschko Bros were KBers first. Cro Cop was a KBers first. Sam Stout, Mo Smith, Israel Adesanya and a plethora of KBers went into MMA.

Most fighters do what they do because it's their passion and they probably want to be the best, or something to that effect, in their respective sport. However, fighting people from other combat sports under a ruleset that will probably only be used for those specific matches proves...? Not really anything, but it does put money in their pockets and it does bring attention to the sport(s) that otherwise would most likely not be there. I completely support these silly spectacles.

I've seen more news about combat sports on mainstream outlets than I ever have before (albeit I'm not as old as some users here) and sure, this brings in casuals and it makes some MMA stars only look for money fights -- but for every 1,000 casuals, you may end up with a handful of die-hard fans and imo all of these MMA fighters chasing money is a symptom of low fighter pay in general, not spectacle fights. I've gotten a bit off track, but basically the main idea here is that I don't see much to gain from putting on a 'competitive' crossover fight vs a spectacle fight -- monetarily or for the fighters' legacy

KBers go into MMA, and boxing all the time.

KBers go into MMA, and boxing all the time.

I know. My post wasn't referring to athletes who make a complete transition from one sport to another, it was referring to the crossover matches that get made (i.e., Floyd vs Conor, Ali vs Inoki, Butterbean vs Gunn).

I know. My post wasn't referring to athletes who make a complete transition from one sport to another, it was referring to the crossover matches that get made (i.e., Floyd vs Conor, Ali vs Inoki, Butterbean vs Gunn).

Well we that time, Muhammad Ali fought football player

I consider Murkan Football a combat sport.

Well we that time, Muhammad Ali fought football player

I consider Murkan Football a combat sport.

I'm not sure what you mean, it was still a sporting crossover done as a spectacle, which is what I was talking about... but it was a fun little exhibition to watch; I have always been fasincted by the wacky and more circus-ey side of combat sports, it leads to interesting events that other sports wouldn't really be able to pull off the same.

Back