Competing in a week (first time)

Gfreak

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have my first competition coming up, (pro star grappling in Houston,tx) And I was wondering if y'all had any last minute advice I'd much appreciate it :D.

Also any questions y'all for me to be able to get better advice or w/e, PLEASE feel free to ask haha.

I'm competing in the men's adult, mid-heavy division. I'm 18, 5'9-10" 188lbs (w/o gi).
Competing as a 2 stripe white belt (been doing it for about 8-9 months now)

So yes, please anything y'all can say would be great. ^.^

That actually did help quite a bit arun, thanks ^.^

And yea, obviously i wouldn't if i didn't know how to do a move...i wouldn't even think about trying it since i didn't know it right? lol

And yea, obviously i wouldn't if i didn't know how to do a move...i wouldn't even think about trying it since i didn't know it right? lol

yeah you got the right idea, this guy from my gym competed not to long ago and tried a kartwheel pass and lost after his match i said when the hell did we ever go over that?!

Anytime. From my own personal experience, I highly recommend that you impose your game early on, and keep it that way. In other words, if your guard is your strongest point, then don't spend 2 minutes trying to shoot for a takedown. Pull guard and sweep or attack.

Who cares how you look on video or whatever. Just get in there and get the job done.

Also, be confident in your game. Don't worry about who you're competing against, they never fought you before so they have no idea what you're capable of.

Right, i'm not the best at takedowns, but thankfully it seems like i'm pretty naturally good at defending them and sprawling and stuff. Plus, does training with higher belts consistantly at my gym help to prepare for these competitions, moreso than say only training with people my level?

Try not to get too nervous. Adrenaline dumps are very real. Just have fun.

Plus, does training with higher belts consistantly at my gym help to prepare for these competitions, moreso than say only training with people my level?

Yes, I believe so...

Back