Coming In

Kripto

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Okay so today i jsut had my first boxing sparring match after 2 weeks of classes, i was quite suprised myself although i do have several years of sparring MT and karate in my blood so meh.

Anyways back to my story, my first sparring session was against my instructor he is probably around 6'2 extremely long reach and is a heavyweight, where as I am 5'8 and weigh 140 pounds. Anyways I had so much trouble coming in for a jab or combo, he would always stop me right in my tracks with a stiff jab i wouldn't even be able to reach him. So yeah you say bob under his jab and come at him, I tried it, i got in side threw a 1-2 but completely missed because he was able to telegraph my movements because he had me at such a distance that he could move out of the way right when i came back up from my bob.

Obviously he has been fighting pro for years but, I need help on how to beat taller and longer reached guys and get inside without eating his jab on the way in.

Okay so today i jsut had my first boxing sparring match after 2 weeks of classes, i was quite suprised myself although i do have several years of sparring MT and karate in my blood so meh.

Anyways back to my story, my first sparring session was against my instructor he is probably around 6'2 extremely long reach and is a heavyweight, where as I am 5'8 and weigh 140 pounds. Anyways I had so much trouble coming in for a jab or combo, he would always stop me right in my tracks with a stiff jab i wouldn't even be able to reach him. So yeah you say bob under his jab and come at him, I tried it, i got in side threw a 1-2 but completely missed because he was able to telegraph my movements because he had me at such a distance that he could move out of the way right when i came back up from my bob.

Obviously he has been fighting pro for years but, I need help on how to beat taller and longer reached guys and get inside without eating his jab on the way in.

Honestly, the fact you were able to get in on a taller far more experienced fighter is good! Against a lessor opponent you probably would have done fine. You said you only have 2wks vs he fought pro........ Tough odds to overcome!

Best advice I can give, if you were able to get in and throw a 1-2, keep doing what you are doing.

You'll prolly learn alot tryin to get in on your instructor though it may be painful and frustrating. My boxing instructor knew what I was gonna throw before I did and often just put his glove on it before I could actually throw it ... sounds alot like what you describe.

You'll prolly learn alot tryin to get in on your instructor though it may be painful and frustrating. My boxing instructor knew what I was gonna throw before I did and often just put his glove on it before I could actually throw it ... sounds alot like what you describe.

and he was using the philly shell.. i could barley even hit him.

And yes it was painful he was just jabbing my head.. he could telgraph my moves a mile away.

and he was using the philly shell.. i could barley even hit him.

And yes it was painful he was just jabbing my head.. he could telgraph my moves a mile away.

I've found that good fakes work on even really skilled partners. You should totally roll your front shoulder with the intent of jabbing and then duck and go to the body.

I've had a few frustrating experiences sparring with partners taller than me. My coach then taught me the magic of going to the body against a taller opponent. When you first start boxing sparring, the instinct is just punch to the head! punch to the head! punch to the head! and it's certainly discouraging when you hit nothing but air

Back